Best oil weight to use... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is about to hit her birthday (200k) and i want to do something special for her so i am thinking about changing to the oil to a thicker oil. Right now i am using 10w30 but i have heard that if your truck has alot of miles to use a thicker weight. Now i hail from the great state of TX and it gets pretty darn hot down here in the summer time so i would need something that can take the heat as well.

What would ya'll recommend on an engine that has 200k?

Go with a synthetic, too, or at least a synthetic blend. Your truck will love you for it.

20-50 in all my Cruisers(cept the 100) mild climite in WA, use to run 10-30.....they seem to like the 20-50 better.

Agree with the reccomendation to use 15w-40 heavy duty oils like Chevron Delo, or Mobil Delvac 1300. Hard to beat for $6.00 per gallon. I can't see a reason to use synthetic on a high mileage truck that's run conventional oil it's whole life up until now. Now if its run on synthetic since day one then continue.

Yep, don't run straight syn. now, you'll have a whole world of leaks show up. Switch over to 15/40 Rotella.

Perhaps. But I've done it without an issue.

switched to 10-40 and stopped burning oil in my 82 fj-60....and im way deep down in south floirda

What did you switch from, LowTide?

Good move, LowTide. Think I'd even go to 20/50 if I lived where you are.

(They are forecasting 5-8 inches of snow for my area tonight, so I think I'll stick with 10W40.)

I don't know - I was running 20-50 in mine here in Fart Worth, and it didn't like it. When it's cool, I run 10-30, during the summer, I'll move up to 10-40. I always put in a quart of Marvel Mystery oil, too...I've got 204k miles and other than the emissions weirdness I'm working through, it does great...

while we're at it, what about brand? I hear a lot about Mobil 1. I run Castrol (pretty much always have) - never run the cheap stuff...any thoughts on that? (not to hijack here...)

[quote author=swank60 link=board=1;threadid=16101;start=msg154214#msg154214 date=1084251619]
I don't know - I was running 20-50 in mine here in Fart Worth, and it didn't like it. When it's cool, I run 10-30, during the summer, I'll move up to 10-40. I always put in a quart of Marvel Mystery oil, too...I've got 204k miles and other than the emissions weirdness I'm working through, it does great...

while we're at it, what about brand? I hear a lot about Mobil 1. I run Castrol (pretty much always have) - never run the cheap stuff...any thoughts on that? (not to hijack here...)
[/quote]

No hijack at all...this is a good point. I run quaker state in mine but what do people reccommend?

I don't think the brand matters that much, but for what it matters, I use Chevron Supreme 20w-50 in my FJ40, and Chevron Delo 15w-40 in my FJ60. I think any of the major brands will provide good service. Mobil 1 is great stuff-I run that in My 80 series and in my wife's car. It's just too expensive to run in the older cruisers. Now if the rebuild fairey put a fresh rebuild in my FJ40, I would run Mobil 1.

[quote author=swank60 link=board=1;threadid=16101;start=msg154214#msg154214 date=1084251619]
...run Castrol (pretty much always have) - never run the cheap stuff...
[/quote]

There are some that would argue that Castrol IS the cheap stuff.
:-X

yeah i use castrol too, dont really care that much about the brand just always used it prob always will...

today in my area it suppose to be 84 degrees and the wind is out of ENE so there will be plenty of surf at low tide (around 7) :) :) :) :)

Brand is important, though. When I used to run pennzoil, I could smell that crap BURNING in my engine. Not ggod.

Since the rebuild, I've run Mobil 1, 15-50 in the summer, 10-40 in the winter. Except that now I go to school where it's REALLY cold, I run 10-30 in the winter. But anywhere it doesn't get below -20*, 10-40 is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom