Best oil for fzj80 97 in Australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:worms::bang:

not to sound like a total dick but I would consult with someone local, they'll have a better idea of whats readily available and may have some good recommendations based on whats worked well for them. your going to get 15 different answers from 15 different people, I personally just use what comes in the bulk drums at work and I couldn't even tell ya what it is other than 5-30 and conventional.

I'd run a synthetic 5w-40, 5w-50, 10w-40, 20w-40, 20w-50 or my personal favorite, 15w-50 semi synthetic.

This summer I used 2 qts of Mobil 1 5w-30 and 6qts 15w-50 = worked perfectly.

Let us know what you pick!

Ronny Dahl Oil, mate.

What is the best oil you would recommend for my 1997 1FZ fe for conditions in australia?
You're gonna have to get more specific than that.
mileage?
history?
current condition?
what did your last oil analsys say was happening inside 'the ol'e girl"?

Fresh oil, at reasonably regular intervals is the best.

Beyond that, take your pick of any of the known brands.
If you're feeling spendy, put full synthetic in it.

Honestly though, it's 23 years old, any fresh oil is good for it

I'm a Mobil 1 fan and not sure why 5W-30 wouldn't work in Australia if it works in the US.

We don't have the same low temperatures birth America can see.
The FSM has a table that helps select a suitable weight oil based on your average temp.

If you are somewhere that sees hot summers and heat winters, ideally you should be changing oil spec twice a year

We don't have the same low temperatures birth America can see.
The FSM has a table that helps select a suitable weight oil based on your average temp.

If you are somewhere that sees hot summers and heat winters, ideally you should be changing oil spec twice a year

We're talking Mobil 1; not dino oil. No issue with high temps in a 5W-30 Mobil 1. A good website for research on this subject is "Bob is the oil guy".

It gets pretty dang hot here in Southern California and Baja, Mexico. Go down this rabbit hole:

Umm, Midnight????
But...
...when there's 57 channels and nothing on, Be Good Johnny and do the Walk of Life through the Tunnel of Love Down by the Sea where there's Men at Work before you're in Dire Straights.
Couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies everyone. I think I will just stick to what I put in last change.. 15w-40 semi Penrite oil
For oil weight, what does the oil fill cap on the front of your engine state?

Mine is a USA, and it states 5W-30. So that's what I use.

I assume that your truck was designed for down under and may have an oil cap to match. I bought a new oil cap to match mine based on my VIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom