Best Offroad Bike Rack. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
These are what you want if you actually go off the pavement and carry MTB's.

Here's my take (granted, I don't have the dream set up yet):

a) electric mountain bike life boat is the bom
b) hitch mount.....rather do a hitch mount on one of the swing out bars or hitch mount on spare config. helps w. departure angle.
c) thinking that a front fork mount would serve better than wheel mount. looks to me like wheel base + wheel diameter causes portions of both wheels to protrude beyond both drivers/passenger side of truck. Ripe for bike being torn off by tree (as seen on your video) or such. Fork mount would allow bike to fall in the "shadow" of the truck. bike wheel could be stored lying down on roof rack or inside the rig cargo area. also makes bike less of a target for theft. 'course thief could ride "one wheeled" down the street....

That's what i'm shooting for.

Here's my take (granted, I don't have the dream set up yet):

a) electric mountain bike life boat is the bom
b) hitch mount.....rather do a hitch mount on one of the swing out bars or hitch mount on spare config. helps w. departure angle.
c) thinking that a front fork mount would serve better than wheel mount. looks to me like wheel base + wheel diameter causes portions of both wheels to protrude beyond both drivers/passenger side of truck. Ripe for bike being torn off by tree (as seen on your video) or such. Fork mount would allow bike to fall in the "shadow" of the truck. bike wheel could be stored lying down on roof rack or inside the rig cargo area. also makes bike less of a target for theft. 'course thief could ride "one wheeled" down the street....

That's what i'm shooting for.
k

Please keep the e-bike off the dedicated MTB trails.

My 4-spot Hollywood rack that I got off FB marketplace for $100 does the same as the $$$$ other racks. It's heavier but it does the job.

No matter how you mount them, some part of the bike is going to be exposed. You can also get the vertical fork-mount hitch racks, but I don't like the look for some reason.

Please keep the e-bike off the dedicated MTB trails.

My 4-spot Hollywood rack that I got off FB marketplace for $100 does the same as the $$$$ other racks. It's heavier but it does the job.

No matter how you mount them, some part of the bike is going to be exposed. You can also get the vertical fork-mount hitch racks, but I don't like the look for some reason.
K so Im guessin you have no clue whatsoever what an E bike is A, and B the one up rack goes wheeling and the bike is solid and dosent interfere with clearance. But judging by your comments those facts wont dissuade(change your mind) at all.

Yes, you're right. In my 25 years of MTB and road cycling, I definitely have no clue what an e-bike is. Motorized bikes don't belong on dedicated MTB trails, period. Other off-road trails - fine, but please stay off non-motorized trails.

<--- Sometimes wishes he wasn't so cheap and would pay $$$$ for a Kuat or 1Up rack, but some of my money is tied up in my Turner Czar...

Yes, you're right. In my 25 years of MTB and road cycling, I definitely have no clue what an e-bike is. Motorized bikes don't belong on dedicated MTB trails, period. Other off-road trails - fine, but please stay off non-motorized trails.

<--- Sometimes wishes he wasn't so cheap and would pay $$$$ for a Kuat or 1Up rack, but some of my money is tied up in my Turner Czar...
Well in my 40 years of cycling (I’ve raced road, criterium, MTB XC, DH, and now enduro). Class 1 eMTBs (pedal assist) are perfectly fine and allowed on most bike trail. Class 2 (throttle) are not.

I rode a Specialized Kenevo last weekend... I shouldn’t have, amazing bike, I will have one or something similar.

as for the off road bike rack discussion. I do quite a lot of moderate with my North shore rack.

Well in my 40 years of cycling (I’ve raced road, criterium, MTB XC, DH, and now enduro). Class 1 eMTBs (pedal assist) are perfectly fine and allowed on most bike trail. Class 2 (throttle) are not.

I rode a Specialized Kenevo last weekend... I shouldn’t have, amazing bike, I will have one or something similar.

as for the off road bike rack discussion. I do quite a lot of moderate with my North shore rack.

I think that's where a lot of the hot-button issues come up, pedal-assist vs. throttle. I have been buzzed by (I assume) throttled e-bikes going 25+ on the local rail-trail, and have seen a couple in my neighborhood (neither rider pedaling). Neither of those belong on a dedicated MTB trail, IMO.

I am also getting old and crotchety, so I have that going for me as well.

<--- Still needs to post up pics of his phat rides...

I think that's where a lot of the hot-button issues come up, pedal-assist vs. throttle. I have been buzzed by (I assume) throttled e-bikes going 25+ on the local rail-trail, and have seen a couple in my neighborhood (neither rider pedaling). Neither of those belong on a dedicated MTB trail, IMO.

I am also getting old and crotchety, so I have that going for me as well.

<--- Still needs to post up pics of his phat rides...
I bet I’m 15-20 years older and more crotchety then you. I’ve been racing and riding MTBs >100 days a year since the mid 1980s. Pedal assist is the deal. On the kenevo I got 3 laps (pedaling up and down) in on my regular ~2200 vertical ft DH loop in about the time I could get one lap in on my enduro bike. On a bike that is more stable down (with a coil rear and boxxer ultimate up front) and way faster up.

I’m seeing a ton of class 1 bikes on our local single track. class 1 eMTB don’t tear up trails nearly as much as the people that don’t know how to break or feel like “drifting” is ok.

These are what you want if you actually go off the pavement and carry MTB's.

Wow that looks like an amazing build. Is it your rig, or did you find the video on YT?

But guess it will be very very heavy? How heavy it will be if he got weighted with full spare canisters, bike and travelling ready?

Please check of you can!

trippin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom