Best non-winter-only tire for my LC in Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought my LC while living in Arkansas. Had Michelin LTX M/S2's on it. Picked up an extra set of wheels and put some Falken WildPeak MT's on them for the muddy/Rocky terrain in Arkansas. Now I'm in SLC area...have to think of winter tires. I know those Michelins will be ok in the snow, and "ok minus" on ice, but thinking I might be better with something like Duratracs or Cooper AT3W's. I like dedicated winter tires on my cars, but I'm guessing the heavy LC will eat them up anytime it's dry pavement. Thoughts?

Snow tires like blizzard and such will do really well in snow, better than dura track which are a more all terrain tire.
I get that...nothing beats a dedicated winter tire on snow/ice, but they are always pretty bad on dry and wet stopping. Just looking for real world experience with the LTX MS2 vs some some of the All-Terrains that are "winter snowflake" certified like the Duratracs, Cooper AT3W, etc. Are they a good compromise between the MS2 and something like a Blizzak? Or are they just the same as the MS2 on snow/ice?

Snow tires should do pretty well in wet and dry as well but will wear quickly because snow tires usually are a softer/stickier rubber compound. They usually have lots of siping and small tread blocks, they won't work as well as a racing slick on dry pavement but should do better on dry pavement than a all terrain.

If Utah allows studs in winter, I'd go with a duratrac or ST/Maxx studded. Both have significant siping, and from experience, they're both great winter tires made that much better with the addition of studs.

@LCReunion I actually run E-rated Duratracs on my 94 year round. I've had them on there for close to 5 years and they have given me no issues. They are an excellent performer in snow and do have the stud holes ( but that would make them dedicated winter tires ). They also perform great in rain, and drive nice on the road. I have actually not had them in mud since this isn't my primary wheeling vehicle. I imagine they would perform better than your average A/T like a KO2 or Grappler. If they are in your price range they would be a solid candidate.

I also live in the Salt Lake area, been here almost seven years now. Having lived in northern Wyoming, northern Wisconsin, and upper peninsula Michigan I'm of the opinion that snow tires are really not needed in Utah's climate. We just don't get the packed down season long snow cover and well below freezing temps that really demand a good snow tire. I've run Michelin LTX, Cooper STMaxx, and Hankook Dynapros and all were more than adequate for conditions in this area.

The ST maxx were excellent in the snow and still super tough for the rocky desert and mountain roads. I'm a backcountry skier and am always driving snow covered mountain roads in the winter and the STmaxx never held me back.

@LCReunion I actually run E-rated Duratracs on my 94 year round. I've had them on there for close to 5 years and they have given me no issues. They are an excellent performer in snow and do have the stud holes ( but that would make them dedicated winter tires ). They also perform great in rain, and drive nice on the road. I have actually not had them in mud since this isn't my primary wheeling vehicle. I imagine they would perform better than your average A/T like a KO2 or Grappler. If they are in your price range they would be a solid candidate.

+1

I've put close to 40k miles on my set of E rated duratracs (I also run them year round) and have no complaints. They have held up real well and were a great tire for when I was living in SW Colorado handling snow and ice. Unless Goodyear drastically changes something they will be my go-to tire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom