Best motor oil to add (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know one of the scientists on the team that invented Mobile1 synthetic motor oil (he's now 97 years old!). He told me they tested it up to 115K miles under extreme conditions without any breakdown or adverse effects.

Basically he said you don't really need to change the oil if you're using Mobile1 or its equivalent, but that the filter does need to be changed so you may as well do the oil and filter every 15-20K miles or so. Also, you don't want to get complacent about checking the oil to avoid catching other problems.

That's what I've heard as well. Modern full synthetic oils, by and large, are more capable than the filtration media. The oil's good way beyond the filter. I used to run a 10k change interval with 5k filter changes. I just started doing oil analysis in the last few years that more or less backs up that approach. One exception noted below.

I've lowered my mileage per change simply to get crap out of the oil that the filter can't remove. There seems to be a trend on my 99 closely linked to mileage and accumulated "stuff".

I have similar needs as the OP. I idle a lot and there's no way around it. Also go offroading which is low RPM = lower oil pressure. Plus towing trailers over mountain passes = high load, high heat.

I had a Blackstone oil report done that confirmed that my oil wasn't really cutting it. See below.

Was just getting whatever Stevinson Lexus put in because the oil change price there was very reasonable, but recently their prices have gone way up so I decided to try the new gas truck HD oil by Rotella. I have used their T6 diesel oil in some of my other vehicles so I am excited to try this new 5W-30 oil specifically designed for trucks doing truck stuff.

Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic 5w-30: Amazon.com: Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil for Pickups and SUVs (5-Quart, Single-Pack): Automotive
Toyota Oil Filter: Amazon.com: OES Genuine Oil Filter for select Lexus/Toyota models: Automotive

cITHzg8.jpg

Previous oil report:

KpTjG55.jpg

Nice to see someone else doing blackstone reports. I wonder what yours will be the next time around. My summary from the 99 I sold is below. Note the difference in lead. I'd love to see numbers for lead on a motor that's near bearing failure. Seeing your lead at 0 and mine at 24-44 is pretty crazy. My Supra had 14 on its last check as well. Now I'm dying to see the results from my 06. Should have first test results in a month or two. The Castrol Edge I use always has a marketing blurb about titanium content. Looks like it does have a lot of titanium (no idea if it's actually helpful or not).

1600825954978.png

This was my recent Blackstone Labs analysis based on a 5k change using Kirkland 5w30.

FIZZY 7-200822 BlackstoneLabs.jpg

Sweet @gregnash . I'm on my 2nd round of Costco 5w30 synthetic so this let's me know i can push my oil change intervals to at least double my 3-4k.

Sweet @gregnash . I'm on my 2nd round of Costco 5w30 synthetic so this let's me know i can push my oil change intervals to at least double my 3-4k.
Yeah If I am interpreting what BSL properly, we can probably push to 6500+ mile interval? Best part is that I have been running 87octane pretty much since the beginning and not top tier stuff. Mainly run Sinclair gas around here, but always the cheap stuff (currently $2.34/gallon).

I think once the moly content gets too low it's time for an oil change. I'd guess 6-7k is appropriate as you suggested.

I think once the moly content gets too low it's time for an oil change. I'd guess 6-7k is appropriate as you suggested.
I think moly content varies enough from oil to oil that you have to take a more holistic view of the content. IE my reports with Castrol Edge showing almost no moly in any test. I actually had more moly on the worst test report.

Why anyone would try to extend oil change intervals is beyond my understanding. It is common knowledge that the best preventive maintenance for an engine is regular oil changes. Synthetic oil is still going to collect bi-products of combustion just like regular oil. Who cares if it could last a little longer, the engine will be happier with fresh clean oil. If you really care about your Landcruiser, lowering the factory oil change interval would be the logical step, not extending it. Manufacturers like to print the longest intervals they can so the advertised cost of ownership is lower.
I change my oil every 3000 miles. My cruiser sees a lot of short distance drives to and from my wife's work. When I take it on trips, it sees dirt roads and harsh climates, all good reasons to change the oil more often.
If I was trying to save money, I wouldn't be driving this thing.

Yeah If I am interpreting what BSL properly, we can probably push to 6500+ mile interval? Best part is that I have been running 87octane pretty much since the beginning and not top tier stuff. Mainly run Sinclair gas around here, but always the cheap stuff (currently $2.34/gallon).

I believe that the Bradley Sinclair stations run fuel that has the Top Tier designation. They did the last time I checked around a year ago.
I have similar needs as the OP. I idle a lot and there's no way around it. Also go offroading which is low RPM = lower oil pressure. Plus towing trailers over mountain passes = high load, high heat.

I had a Blackstone oil report done that confirmed that my oil wasn't really cutting it. See below.

Was just getting whatever Stevinson Lexus put in because the oil change price there was very reasonable, but recently their prices have gone way up so I decided to try the new gas truck HD oil by Rotella. I have used their T6 diesel oil in some of my other vehicles so I am excited to try this new 5W-30 oil specifically designed for trucks doing truck stuff.

Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic 5w-30: Amazon.com: Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil for Pickups and SUVs (5-Quart, Single-Pack): Automotive
Toyota Oil Filter: Amazon.com: OES Genuine Oil Filter for select Lexus/Toyota models: Automotive

cITHzg8.jpg

Previous oil report:

KpTjG55.jpg

4000 miles :oops:? Ha ha yikes that seems low for a synthetic. I am getting ready to send my oil off for testing. I may have waited a little too long as I have 8700 miles this interval and you know I love the low range too! I am running the fancy Amsoil stuff so we will see.

I believe that the Bradley Sinclair stations run fuel that has the Top Tier designation. They did the last time I checked around a year ago.

Why anyone would try to extend oil change intervals is beyond my understanding. It is common knowledge that the best preventive maintenance for an engine is regular oil changes. Synthetic oil is still going to collect bi-products of combustion just like regular oil. Who cares if it could last a little longer, the engine will be happier with fresh clean oil. If you really care about your Landcruiser, lowering the factory oil change interval would be the logical step, not extending it. Manufacturers like to print the longest intervals they can so the advertised cost of ownership is lower.
I change my oil every 3000 miles. My cruiser sees a lot of short distance drives to and from my wife's work. When I take it on trips, it sees dirt roads and harsh climates, all good reasons to change the oil more often.
If I was trying to save money, I wouldn't be driving this thing.

I think the same logic applies to any part. Why wait until a spark plug causes problems? Replace it at 30k, even if the manufacturer recommends 90k. Air filter: It's best when it's clean. Why not replace it every oil change at 3k?

For me, the answer to all those and motor oil is that while brand new might be better, all these components and fluids are still "very good" well beyond their ideal state before they approach "detrimental". Most modern motor oil is still good, functional oil at 20k+ if the filter is changed. Even well beyond that.

We're all changing the oil "early". It's just a matter of how early you want to be. Reports like Blackstone can show you with molecular precision how long is "long enough" for contaminants to become significant enough to warrant changing. Changing extra early is fine, but if the oil is going bad at or shortly after 3-4k, there's something wrong (IE it took you 4 years to drive those 3-4k miles, cheap dino oil, terrible filter, those were race miles in the desert, the engine is about to have bearing failure, a piston ring has failed, etc...).

I think the same logic applies to any part. Why wait until a spark plug causes problems? Replace it at 30k, even if the manufacturer recommends 90k. Air filter: It's best when it's clean. Why not replace it every oil change at 3k?

For me, the answer to all those and motor oil is that while brand new might be better, all these components and fluids are still "very good" well beyond their ideal state before they approach "detrimental". Most modern motor oil is still good, functional oil at 20k+ if the filter is changed. Even well beyond that.

We're all changing the oil "early". It's just a matter of how early you want to be. Reports like Blackstone can show you with molecular precision how long is "long enough" for contaminants to become significant enough to warrant changing. Changing extra early is fine, but if the oil is going bad at or shortly after 3-4k, there's something wrong (IE it took you 4 years to drive those 3-4k miles, cheap dino oil, terrible filter, those were race miles in the desert, the engine is about to have bearing failure, a piston ring has failed, etc...).

This is my thoughts exactly. I would also prefer to change less frequently and then use the savings to run a Blackstone report. To me, it is like getting our blood drawn and tested for preventative health.

Actually, with the 4.7, you should at least check the torque on all spark plugs every 30k regardless of what the manufacturer recommends.
I would replace my air filter at 3k if I had seen a lot of dusty dirt roads or if it was noticeably dirty.

I still believe Toyota is printing the absolute maximum oil change interval that it's engineers would agree to in order to keep advertised cost of ownership down.
I feel better staying well under that interval.

Last edited:
Actually, with the 4.7, you should at least check the torque on all spark plugs every 30k regardless of what the manufacturer recommends.
I would replace my air filter at 3k if I had seen a lot of dusty dirt roads or if it was noticeably dirty.

I still believe Toyota is printing the absolute maximum oil change interval that it's engineers would agree to in order to keep advertised cost of ownership down.
I feel better staying well under that interval.
Good point on the spark plugs. That is smart.

For the engine oil, fair enough. I'd encourage you to have a Blackstone test done. Get it tested at 1k miles and then again at 4k. See if anything changed.

Blackstone and other third parties have an unbiased, scientific approach and recommend change intervals with no regard to the manufacturer recommendations. They're just measuring the actual oil from your sample. They do it for race teams, fleets, hobbyists, etc... In my past reports for my 99 which had some higher than usual contaminants in 2018, they've recommended 6,000 miles as the change interval. I think most reports from others also show 5000+ miles is quite safe on the 2UZ.

Of course, I haven't submitted a test on my 06LX yet... watch them tell me I need to change every 3k! I'm approaching 5k miles and will submit that first test report soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom