Best motor oil for a 92? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a search, and I am looking for any input on the best motor oil to use. Mine is due for a PM and was wondering what to replace with. I am now running 10-30 high mileage grade. I do have 188,000 miles. What is everyone runnin?:cheers:.
WoodyFJ80

Just keep some in there and you will be alright.

Our reident oil guru recently recommended the new Mobil 1 high milage as a very good quality oil.

Thanks for the replys. Yes I keep some in there. It does not burn any. BarCruiser thanks that cleared alot. I did not think to look in the FAQ. THANKS, it answers my ?'s.

Syn or partial syn is good, unless your seals are leaking.

That was my next question. I am thinking of going to syn and doing the Mobil 1 high mileage.

Syn or partial syn is good, unless your seals are leaking.

This is old thinking.

My seals leak LESS with synthetic than they do with conventional dino. I should add, that not all synthetics are equal in this regard. the 'original' mobil 1 will flow through my engine like a sieve, but the Rotella T Syn I use now works awesome. Supposedly the Mobil 1 high milage is even better, but I have not tried it yet.

I copy that! I am going with Mobil 1 High Mileage and a OEM filter. Thanks Doc and everyone, this has cleared my head for what route to go.

Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic. There are several threads where this has cut down on leaks & consumption for people.

:)castrol gtx 10-30 on my '93 with 270,000+mi:steer:

I went to Amsoil 25k mile change interval synthetic which I will change before it gets this high. It's recommended to flush the old oil and gunk out with the Amsoil flush before you go to this oil and you must use their oil filter or equivalent. The flush is very simple. I think Donaldson or Wics makes their filters which are considerably heavier than say something like a Fram. I did have a leak before this change but I also replaced the PCV at the same time so I don't know which cured it.

Support our vendors. AMSOIL

Last edited:
Dissenting opinion. This is not a new motor. Most of the wear it will ever experience has already occured. If it was a new motor, or had run synthetic all it's life, I'd say synthetic, no question. I just can't see putting $50 worth of oil in a high mileage motor run on conventional oil to this point.

I would recommend a heavy duty, mixed fleet, oil. My favorite is Chevron Delo 15w-40. The Rotella 15w-40 mentioned above also has a good reputation. The Delo will cost about $10 per gallon, so you need two. You will get near synthetic performance with this oil at a conventional price.

If you are really a miser, watch the Kragan ad. About every two weeks, they run a special on Chevron Supreme (conventional oil with a stellar reputation on bitog). With the coupon and the rebate, it's $0.49 per quart, which is cheaper than gasoline if you think about it. I would run the 20w-50 since we're headed into summer right now. 10w-40 would also work fine. I would not run 5w-30 but that's a bias not backed up by science. My FJ40 has had a steady diet of Supreme for almost 10 years. $4 to change the oil on a Land Cruiser, not too bad!

I am not affiliated in any way with Chevron, but after reading the bitog forum, the Chevron conventional oils have about the best reputation of the majors, and had the distinct advantage of being both cheap and good.

Boy, I'm slaving away litigating and everyone is getting along just fine.

As Cruiserdrew suggested, for the best value, use Delo 15w-40, unless temps are below 30f regularly, then go to a mineral 5w-30 for winter if they do.

+1 on the Chevron Delo 15w-40

I have run rotella syn, and now have maxlife in it, and get less drips with the maxlife

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom