Best method to jack up 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to install an OME lift myself but I have never done any wrenching this extensive; although, from my research it does not look too complicated. I have put together a list of tools that I will need but the one item that I am not sure of is how to lift the truck to do the work. What is the best method/jacks to do this? BTW, I did search and did not find anything that helped me too much. If this is in the FAQ or elsewhere please point me in that direction.

Thanks.

Check out Slee's site. He's got a great write-up on this IIRC.

Hmm.. SE VA.. Plus Helicopters..

Stationed out there?

Anyway. Man-a-free has some drop brackets that can make it easier for a beginner to correct the caster..

I'm going to run them since I dont want to mess with puting in bushings when I will be fabing up a three link when I get back from someplace hot and sandy..

I just used the big / tall jack stands, 3 ton, from harbor freight and a 3 ton floor jack from harbor freight for $60.

Get the vehicle up as high as possible and find the most level part of the frame closest to the wheels for the jack stands.

Pop the wheels, shocks and swaybars off and you are in business.
Be careful not to snap your brakelines when you push the axle down to put the new springs in.

Slee's writeup is what I went by.

Good luck.

I'll also vote for Slee's directions. Used them 5 months ago, and everything went perfect.

Following the directions I did it by myself, with only the wife helping once by standing on the axle when doing the rears to get that extra little bit of clearance. (I didn't disconnect rear sway bar)

To lift the truck I have a 4 ton floor jack and 5 ton jack stands. (Overkill, but the tools have been in the family a LONG time.) Just follow Slee's directions on where to place everything, and all will be good.

Good Luck!

-Lance

Guys, thanks for the input and the link to Slee's technical article. I will be going out this weekend to grab some jack stands and a floor jack (neither of which I have and from reading this forum would good to have).

Hmm.. SE VA.. Plus Helicopters..

Stationed out there?

Anyway. Man-a-free has some drop brackets that can make it easier for a beginner to correct the caster..

I'm going to run them since I dont want to mess with puting in bushings when I will be fabing up a three link when I get back from someplace hot and sandy..

I live in SEVA but I am not in the military. I own a company that provides helicopter services, among other things.

i might shoot for more than 3 ton, not for weight limit but rather heght. I regularly max out the heighth on the 8 tons and am looking for 10 or 12 for a little more lift. Bushings arent that hard if you have a press and if not ive taken the arms off and hit the local firestone at lunch w/ a 20 :)
however having the right press tool makes all the difference (ie slees is a nice one!)

i might shoot for more than 3 ton, not for weight limit but rather heght. I regularly max out the heighth on the 8 tons and am looking for 10 or 12 for a little more lift. Bushings arent that hard if you have a press and if not ive taken the arms off and hit the local firestone at lunch w/ a 20 :)
however having the right press tool makes all the difference (ie slees is a nice one!)

I may be mistaken on the tonage. I have the taller ones, perhaps they are 6 tons each.

:hmm:

The smallest ones do not work.

Posted by d-country
What is the best method/jacks to do this?

Get the 6 ton jackstands from Northern Tools, they have double locking pins for safety purposes.

I live in SEVA but I am not in the military. I own a company that provides helicopter services, among other things.

I service heliopters. Engines, transmissions, flight controls etc.. What ever it takes to keep them perfectly airworthy..

Good Luck!

I just completed an OME lift today and was quite surprised how time consuming it is if you have an East Coast Cruiser. Every bolt was rusted. I put rust remover on all the points everyday for a week before the job. I used an impact wrench and could not get them to move. Thankfully my neighbor is like a Sears tool store. I used his torch to heat up a couple of the stubborn ones. The bolts inside the engine compartment I did not used the torch. The drivers side shock is a real PITA, I ended cutting it in half and breaking the stem on it as it was so rusted and would not budge, and I was using heavy duty tools. Tonight as I ponder the job, it was not that hard at all, slee's directions are good to go, but the rust and bolt removal accounted for about 2.5 hours of a total 4 hour job. You should go for it, this is the first time I attempted anything like this and I have alot of satisfaction in the fact that I did it myself. Go slow, make sure you understand directions and use commom sense. We I did not understand the directions, I used common sense. Good Luck.

X10 on the slee instructions, it took me longer than it should have b/c I tried to take a couple of shortcuts and had to go back and follow the instructions to the letter every time. You will need 6 ton jackstands for the height, I had 3 tons and had to go by some 6 tons. the truck felt uncomfortably high to me when it was up on the jackstands.

I did mine on a lift at the tire shop in town.
Might be harder to get lift time in the States, with liability issues and all. But WOW, it sure did make it faster being able to raise/lower the whole truck to whatever level I wanted, with the touch of a button.

I did mine on a lift at the tire shop in town.
Might be harder to get lift time in the States, with liability issues and all. But WOW, it sure did make it faster being able to raise/lower the whole truck to whatever level I wanted, with the touch of a button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom