Best M&S tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80rodngun

GOLD Star
Threads
163B95DE-D27B-4968-B8F3-A500180D9836.jpeg
I have Nitto trail grappler M&S tires and they do not grip at all in snow. I was told GoodYear makes a good M&S tire.

I can't say it's the best, but many years ago I bought tires from Treadwright. They appear to be the Guard Dog re-tread versions. I've easily put 40k miles on them and they still have a lot of wear left. They have been absolutely awesome in the snow and slush. Do they make noise on the highway? Hell yes they do, but they are nice and quiet when I drive past you in a ditch when it's snowing.

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/mud-terrain-tires

20160123_171841.jpg

That appears to be a copy of the original, awesome, GY MTR. I ran a set for 8 years and loved them.

Last edited:
I installed a set of these on my truck 2 years ago. They have a very open mud/snow style tread, the price for them was very reasonable. They are LT265/75/16R load range E. The cost for all 5 tires ($805) with mounting, balancing, and road hazard ($110) came to a total of $915 bucks. Please take note, these tires are not made in the USA, the sidewall on the tire is marked, made in Indonesia. Since these tires have such large open tread blocks, they may take more tire weights, then most tires do, in order to get them to balance. One of my tires took 7 1/2 OZ's of weight, in order to get it to balance.

img_0034-jpg.1403929

I have used Firestone Destination A/T for years. No real issues with anything other than mud when the tread gets clogged. Chains are also in the back just in case I need them.

I have always felt that you need to pick one or the other. All my experience with quality mud tires left me wanting in snow. I think there are some good trail all terrain tires that will will work in snow sand and rocks but the big lugs needed for mud don't seem to work well with snow. If i had snow issues i would probably go with BFG AT2. Think they work very well with everything except mud. Like was stated above, my big heavy 80 on snow with muds was like a ski rig going down hill

I have always felt that you need to pick one or the other. All my experience with quality mud tires left me wanting in snow. I think there are some good trail all terrain tires that will will work in snow sand and rocks but the big lugs needed for mud don't seem to work well with snow. If i had snow issues i would probably go with BFG AT2. Think they work very well with everything except mud. Like was stated above, my big heavy 80 on snow with muds was like a ski rig going down hill

Yeah after today I need to forego the MT and go AT

I've had Goodyear MTRs and Goodrich Mud Terrains and ATs (of various generations). Frankly, none of them are very good in most on-road snow we have here in Colorado when compared to a true snow tire.

I use dedicated snows in winter since I'm regularly going over snowy mountain passes here in CO.

Note, the snow I encounter on paved mountain passes is very different than the deep, untracked snow you'll typically find off-road, where a big, blocky MT type tread can be helpful. Packed snow, in contrast, is best handled with lots of siping for grip. Packed snow often gets slick and glazed, and big, blocky lugs (which also get pretty hard as the rubber is generally not optimized for snow) aren't great in those conditions.

Of course, many manage without dedicated snows, but the difference isn't subtle.

I agree on dedicated snow tire, but the BFG will work good as do all except mud.

I'd have chains if i was working your kind of snow

If you want a tire that excels on any sort of hard snow pack, you’ll want something with as many tread sipes as possible. Fat lugged MTs will suck because of the large tread blocks. Almost any All Terrain will be far better. Of course, the best will be a dedicated snow tire. Alternatively, if you’re buying a new set of tires anyway, and you’re heart is set on new MTs, have then siped. Best of both worlds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/will-siping-make-mud-tire-perform-well-all-terrain-tire-276451/?amp=1

After yesterday I’m gonna put on chains on unplowed roads, I had no issues with get going but stopping on packed and glazed snow is a completely different story. The question is do I put the chains on the front tires or rear? I’m thinking front because I think front chain would help with stopping better.

I would agree with putting them on the front axle first as that is the axle with the most braking provided that there is enough clearance in the wheel well while steering and bouncing around. Take into account that running chains will limit your speed. Running on the front could be a negative for steering in some conditions.

Correct Placement of Snow Tire Chains on All Wheel Drive 2012 Ford Escape | etrailer.com "However, a supplement manual from Ford on tire use states for AWD , If you place chains on the front do not do so without putting chains on the rear." The end of your vehicle with chains will be the end that tries to be the "back" when you hit the brakes hard. If that was the front, and your weren't going straight when you hit the brakes, your vehicle may spin around. For vehicles with (only) front wheel drive, the decision about front/rear is balanced with the fact that chains also help you go, not just stop.

I've been supporting BFGoodrich for years and will continue to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom