Best Lube for Power Lock Actuator and Mechanisms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mingles

GOLD Star
Threads
With the onset of cold weather, one of the power lock actuators on the rear doors stopped moving to full lock or unlock.

I removed the assembly from the vehicle, cleaned all the old caked on grease sludge from the linkages with carb cleaner, and now want to relube with something that will stay slippery at 0 degrees. I did try some spray-on white lithium grease but it looks like a clear liquid and I'm not sure it is up to the task.

The actuator motor proper is fine and seems to operate OK on the bench.

Open to thoughts and suggestions from those that have rebuilt this mechanism before?

Any grease should be fine. The motor may seem fine on the bench but I guarantee swapping a new little motor (the motors by themselves are dirt cheap) you'll feel like a whole new man

Molykote like what is used in the locker actuators is probably best, but a bit cost prohibitive.

I would imagine proper white lithium grease (from a tube, not spray) is probably fine and dielectric grease on the electrical connections.

White Lithium Grease (as mentioned above).

Mingles, I fell for that trap too. Took one all apart, cleaned and lubed the gears, cleaned the commutator and brushes on the motor, tested it on the bench, worked like a champ! Put it all back together, including the door, so confident was I...
yeah, don't fall for the trap brother, order up the motors and change them out. It's a long day, one door at a time but its really not overly difficult. You need to solder the worm gear onto the new motor shaft, PM if you need guidance, truly, it's not that bad a job.

Any grease should be fine. The motor may seem fine on the bench but I guarantee swapping a new little motor (the motors by themselves are dirt cheap) you'll feel like a whole new man
Hi nukegoat, do you have a site where I can find those little motors?

Thanks,
Dg

They're on Amazon, bought mine in a four pack. I used the long shaft version (I know, "that's what she said")

Here's the link to my "addition info" thread: Door Lock Motors, additional info

Will be on the site shortly. s*** isn’t cheap. Enough for at least two e-lock motors

2FAE260E-DF61-4272-BC18-C2AFF0566EBE.png

I used Dow Corning "Molykote" 33 Light which is a silicone grease; despite the name it doesn't have any Molybdenum in it. Molykote is just one of DC's brand names.

Doesn anyone have the SDS/TDS of the Toyota body grease above for comparison?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom