Best leaf springs for a 4" lift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure this has been covered a zillion times, but my search shows at best very inconsistent opinions or facts on who makes the best springs for ride, articluation, sag, shackle angle, etc. What about the springs that Mark's sells, anybody have them? Is Alcan really that good?

My objective is to get the stock springs out of there and install the best 4" sua lift available. I am building a weekend trail rig. We have no rock's in Michigan, we have sand dunes and muddy trails and logs and hills, etc. I will install extended shock towers. I don't want this thing to ride like a lumber wagon on the road if I can help it. I am not doing a shackle reversal on the front and will not be flipping the springs to change the wheelbase. I'll be running 35's or maybe squeeze in some 37's. I will trim the rear fenders where needed.

Anybody with reall world results out there? I like Treeroot's set up, not sure what kind of springs he runs.

Thanks. :popcorn:

If you don't want to flip the springs, 37's aren't going to fit.

I have run a set of 4" Skyjacker springs for the last 6 years or so. I am very happy with them, (especially considering the price!). However they are probably not the best riding springs out of the box.

I'm sure many others will chime in with their experience/ opinions etc.

Good Luck!

flip springs.

If you don't want to flip the springs, 37's aren't going to fit.

I have run a set of 4" Skyjacker springs for the last 6 years or so. I am very happy with them, (especially considering the price!). However they are probably not the best riding springs out of the box.

I'm sure many others will chime in with their experience/ opinions etc.

Good Luck!
Okay so maybe I will flip the springs to fit a set of 37" in there. :) Does that mean that I have to have a new rear driveshaft made up?

If you flip springs you move the axle back including the pinion flange which will require your rear DS to be lengthened. This mod should cost ~$150.

All 4" SUA lift springs ride like s***, get used to the idea. If you have your heart set on 37's and you want a nice ride SOA is your only realistic alternative. Altering DS length will be the least of this project. good luck

"Best" is an elusive target, but my favorite springs before the spring over were a set of 4 inch Alcans that I had made custom.

To be honest, 35 inch tires will be plenty, and will fit with 4 inch springs just fine. You won't even need to extend your shock towers. Once you start flipping springs and cutting sheet metal, you are playing a different game.

For the uses you describe, an OME 2.5 inch lift and 33 inch tires would work and be more capable than you think. I have done the Rubicon trail on this set up-not ideal, but perfectly satisfactory.

Don't get too hung up on the "huge truck" thing. Think practical truck that can do what you want to do and go where you want. The more lift and tire you add, the more the entire truck needs to be changed, and it becomes less of a practical machine and more of a special purpose wheeler.

Do you have power steering? If not, do that first.

Have 33's on it now.

"Best" is an elusive target, but my favorite springs before the spring over were a set of 4 inch Alcans that I had made custom.

To be honest, 35 inch tires will be plenty, and will fit with 4 inch springs just fine. You won't even need to extend your shock towers. Once you start flipping springs and cutting sheet metal, you are playing a different game.

For the uses you describe, an OME 2.5 inch lift and 33 inch tires would work and be more capable than you think. I have done the Rubicon trail on this set up-not ideal, but perfectly satisfactory.

Don't get too hung up on the "huge truck" thing. Think practical truck that can do what you want to do and go where you want. The more lift and tire you add, the more the entire truck needs to be changed, and it becomes less of a practical machine and more of a special purpose wheeler.

Do you have power steering? If not, do that first.

I have a set of 33's on it now with a set of HFS extended shackles. I have the front shimmed. It rides really soft and drives really strainght on the rode. However the articulation is pathetic and not much clearance. I have power steering also. My front axle sits about 1.5" front the bump stops, not much travel with the 31 years old springs. Plus my front driveshaft is smashing my exhaust pipe where it crosses over the oil pan in the back. SOA looks intriging, but not practical for my application. Would like to go at least 35's to get some clearance. Are Alcans expensive?

I have a set of 33's on it now with a set of HFS extended shackles. I have the front shimmed. It rides really soft and drives really strainght on the rode. However the articulation is pathetic and not much clearance. I have power steering also. My front axle sits about 1.5" front the bump stops, not much travel with the 31 years old springs. Plus my front driveshaft is smashing my exhaust pipe where it crosses over the oil pan in the back. SOA looks intriging, but not practical for my application. Would like to go at least 35's to get some clearance. Are Alcans expensive?

Well, articulation isn't going to get that much better unless you do a spring over. Still, the uses you describe are not that taxing for the set up you have.

It sounds like you need to re-route your exhaust more than you need taller springs. I'd keep the tries, get 2.5 inch springs and ditch the extended shackles. A complete OME kit to accomplish this would be about $1000. Tall arched springs will have a harsher ride than nearly flat springs. This is normal, and often why SOA has a better ride overall.

I thought Alcans were pretty reasonable-roughly $200 per spring.

I live in michigan as well and my rig is my daily and only driver, currently I'm running stock suspension and 31's but am saving up for a 3" Alcan lift and plan on running 33x10.5. I feel this should get me through most obstacle I would want to tackle here in michigan plus keep a stockish look that I like. Alcans are $220 per corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom