Best Landcruiser for resale value & on /off road ability? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interesting subject.

We have a late model 40, a 60, 80 and 100.

As sweet as the 100's are in every sense i think i would be to scared off road to scratch them. late model 40's are sweet. much more comfortable than any other 40's and resale is crazy on them but honestly having driven all of them i think a locked low miles 80 with some good tires is the best. cruise on the highway at 75-80 if you want and still tear up off road. aftyermarket stuff for 80's is kind of slim i think for such a good truck and yes working on 40's is alot easier. simplicity is nice but overall a 93-97 locked 80 wins my vote.

IMO, 93-97 locked 80s in any color for on/off the road. Resale value? I would say none of them. Unless you bought it new and stored it as an investment. :)

How 'bout the 1985 BJ70??? 12V system, good torque, 5speed, great gas mileage, and none of that over-rated horsepower stuff! ;)

How 'bout the 1985 BJ70??? 12V system, good torque, 5speed, great gas mileage, and none of that over-rated horsepower stuff!

Working hard I see ,
I like the new add on to the sig line :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg82648#msg82648 date=1072899490]
stick a snorkel on it and you won't be able to give it away :-[ :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Junk makes a good point, stock will bring as much if not more than modified, regardless of the model. I LOVE buying one owner stock unmodified Cruisers.....

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg82470#msg82470 date=1072873476]
.the 3FE in a 91-92 is possibly the best trail engine out there...newer but not so new as to make trail work impossible.

Nice low end, rock solid engine.
[/quote]

As my 6 year old daughter would say: "OH YEAH!"
thumb.gif

The 3FE Rocks Man!
rock.gif
thumb.gif

thumb.gif

I'd go with a 2006 model LC. WOW what would a used 2006 be worth today? :whoops:

So, I guess that if you were to buy a 93 low mileage rig, and keep it for 10 years or so, these would start going up in value..(obviously you would have to throw some $$ into it over the next 10 years..knuckles/tune ups, etc..)...

In canada, if the 60's & 70's are any indication, the clean ones are commanding some serious coin.

so, it makes me think that a 20 year old 80 (10 years from now might do the same thing and start being worth close to what it was new ??

This is hard to imagine, but the same can be said for the 70's and 60's when they were 5-10 years old..people prolly woulda laughed at you if you told them you were going to sell it in 20-30 years for what you bought it 4.

This thread has been very interesting reading...

PitB's comment about the value of used 2006 LCs got me to thinking about a point that has not been brought up (in this thread) about the pending demise of the Land Cruiser in the North American market - and what effect that might have on resale value.

As I (and others) have posted in several other, unrelated threads recently, it is almost a certainty that the 100 series will cease production for the U.S. market with either the 2004 or 2005 model. The LX-470 will also disappear from the U.S. and Canadian markets, in deference to the new VX-470 (a rebadged Sequoia).

So, that leaves the U.S. and Canada with no long WB Cruisers of any flavor, and perhaps only that new wave, IFS Tacoma chassis-based FJ Cruiser thing-a-ma-jig to carry the Land Cruiser name.

How do you all suppose that will impact the popularity, and resale value of the long heritage of long WB Cruisers both here (U.S.), and in Canada?

Cheers, R -

R-

An interesting thought starter.

I need to hit the lotto so I can make a feeble run at the pimp. I have a line on a 38k mile 78 FJ55 and a 30k mile 97 80 series but no coins to do anything about them :'(

Oh, and like him I am going to keep them hidden from you Vultures :flipoff2:

I'm glad to see that my smart ass comment was of some value. I knew the teachers were wrong when they told me growing up, that these types of remarks never contribute to the conversation.

thats becuase you stuffed a 350 in yours :flipoff2:.......if you stayed with the 2f it would be as non eventfull as an 80, maybe more so, less crap to go wrong and a heck of alot easier to work on. Driving either of my 82 fj40's in truly non eventfull, I hate the frikin 45 wagon with small block......now thats an adventure ;)

but yeah yeah yeah........80;s do make a better all around rig.....

John H

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg83067#msg83067 date=1072976900]
Saying a 40 needs fixing less than an 80 suggests the 40 is more reliable given similar driving distances.

OK, no

Driving a 40 every day is an adventure. Driving an 80 everyday is a non-event.
[/quote]

Paradise cruiser raises an intersting point..If they will cancel it in North America as of '06, I can tell you that we can look to Canada for a possible parallel.

89 was the last yeart you get a new cruiser in Canada. If you had one available now, it would command some serious $$..so I wonder if a '04 cruiser would do the same...or an 80 of some other vintage...

I think they will continue to hold value relatively well vs other rigs.

However, in Canada, with the LX450, I doubt that you will see them sell for C$75-80K or whatever they sold for new (same with C$100K + LX470s) - even accounting for inflation. The rigs you see for sale for big $ have often had some serious work done to them (complete rebuild)...I sold my stock BJ60 for something like C$5K

Cheers, Hugh

My picks...The 91-97's 80 series.
1) size room/storage.. :banana:
2) solid axles..... :banana: :banana:
3) EFI... :banana: :banana:
4) Straight sixes... :banana:

Off roading purposes in "general", Solid axles and EFI is it....

For a starting foundation these seem to offer the most, from the slow but tough 3FE 91-92, to optional lockers 93-97...
If you want a shorter wheelbase then the 40 is a great choice
Seriously, they are all good and have their advantages... :cheers:

i would say 1992-1997 HDJ80

why HDJ80? comes with all the goodies that an FZJ80 would come with, except this runs on diesel. ;)

no ECUs, no spark plugs, no distributors. just pure 1HD-T power.

IMHO :)

No doubt in my mind. 95-97 FZJ80 have aribags, OBDII computers, solid full float axles, coil suspensions, lockers. Appearance is more subjective but I think that the contemporary lines of the 80 preceded most SUVs that followed.

Before that Cruisers lacked all of the above in one package from the factory and after that they lacked the full float axles with 6 lug wheels and they all have IFS in the US.

Of course my opinion along with $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom