Best Landcruiser for resale value & on /off road ability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C

crazy canuck

I was having a chat with a bunch of the guys about tyhis topic. and among us there isLandcruisers ranging in years from the late 60's to a 99.

We were trying to decide which years were the best buy in terms of

a) off road driving
b) on road driving
c) resale value
d) reliability
e) life expectancy (mileage and or years expected to last - with proper regular basic maintenance / oil changes / plugs, etc.

putting price aside for a minute is their one year(s) that exhibit all of these qualities, ( or most of them ) i.e. you would give it a 8, 9 or 10 out of 10 in each of these areas, or is it different year cruisers for each ?

Thanks in advance

That's easy 95~97 FZJ80. Locked, ABS, Duel airbags, solid front axle, Smoother tranny shifts, leather.

Earlier 80s would suffer in the drive line smoothness and lack of air bag safety. Newer ones lack solid axle for offroad durability and full locking ability for ultimate traction.

Now thats going by your all round list. Some will prefer another choice but would lean toward a more specific goal. Such as offroad or onroad ability. Earlier 80 with the lack of airbags can be percieved as better offroad and newer 100 are definately better onroad with their IFS.

Now evryone can tell me to go to hell !

thats not easy.

I would say the 81-83 fj40 for one
then the late 85-87 fj60

both are simple enough to work on, the best/last of the series, in terms of upgrades and such. Both the above bring the highest prices of that model, if comparing apples to apples.

Off road the 80 series wins over all models before it, speaking of stock vrs stock. In the 80 series the 97 would be the "best" of em IMOP. Re-sale on 80's is not great but still very good compared to other makes.

of the above the 81-83 fj40 have the best re-sale, they for the most part are at least as much or more than they were new. 83's bring much more than they are worth, dash and a few little items different, not worth the extra $$$ IMOP. Drawback to the latter 40's are the bodies, they are thinner sheet metal then early 40's. A late 40's drives like a fj60, split t-case, seats father back, e-barke on rear axle, much quiter, AC and PS optional, gearing is more freeway freindly(3.70) but a slight drawback off road

Other 40's that are very good would be 77-78(78 has a slight edge) 79-80 are good but same drivetrain as 78, cept the 3.70 gears

any of the above should be able to go 200-300k before a rebuild, assuming proper maintence.

Gereraly the last of the body/model is the best of the bunch and brings the most $$$

80 series take a bit more maintence then 40/55/60/62.

other models such as the fj45(all) can bring good money but REALLY need upgrades done to make a good driver or wheeler

Fj62's, very reliable, and a nice one in stock trim and good shape can still bring good money, but they have more electonics and crap.

fj55, I lOVE 55's but finding a rot free one is not easy, best of these would be 78-79(80) Drivetrain is same as a 40 of the same year. Body and trim parts are not easy to come buy.

So in short, my vote goes to the 81-2 fj40, it does most(resale, reliablitly, on/off road, life expectency) of what you ask better than all others.

Not an easy question......but thats my take on it. Look at what I have 2 of..........2x 82 fj40's.....if I found a 3rd I'd prolly buy it :D

John H

1997 fzj80, 1983 fj40, 1980 fj55

Landpimp, I've never ridden in a 40 but I never really thought it as a road vehicle. Offroad definitely but such a short wheel base, leaf springs and drum brakes. I drove cross country, 8,000 miles in 3 weeks in my 80. Doubt you could take a piss after the first 800 in a 40 :D

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg82335#msg82335 date=1072841879]
Landpimp, I've never ridden in a 40 but I never really thought it as a road vehicle. Offroad definitely but such a short wheel base, leaf springs and drum brakes. I drove cross country, 8,000 miles in 3 weeks in my 80. Doubt you could take a piss after the first 800 in a 40 :D
[/quote]

if ya get a chance take a ride/drive in a 81-83, they are a different 40 than earlier, really it drives and rides like a fj60, granted a 80 is a better ride/drive. But I would drive anywhere in my 82 fj40 without worries.......and I have a busted up back and tweeked neck. 40's had disc front in 76+. 80 sereis IMOP is a better off road rig than other Cruisers.

Short wheelbase, only issue I see is lack of room, not the ride, I kid you not my 82 fj40 rides WONDERFULL and with OEM PS it's a dream to drive.

John H

I

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg82314#msg82314 date=1072840823]
1997 fzj80, 1983 fj40, 1980 fj55
[/quote]

what no love for a 60? :flipoff2:

how many 80 fj55's are there? I havnt ever seen one, I think Rick knows of one......I think a 79 would work as well ;)

but good choices :)

Yeah, I loved my 60, but the 80 outshines it in nearly every respect.

As far as resale value goes the 60-62s are not too good right now. I've seen folks unable to sell them at $500 for running, driving examples. 91-92s sell better.
97 is probably them best resale value, but it gets killed by the UZJs. There's a huge price gap between 97 and 98.
82 and 83 40s are pretty hard to find, especially for a price that you can expect any kind of return on.

Best resale with the best on and off road performance 1997.
Best year of the land cruser - 95 'cause that's what i got.

The 80 is the best vehicle but the question was resale value, which I am interpreting as a % of initial cost. The 60 series shine here. They are selling cheap, but will likely hold that value. For instance, I bought a very nice one for $3000. It's hard to believe in 5 years it will be worth much less. A '97 80 series will sell at a slight premium now, which will erode and be gone in 5 years. I have this weird thought that the real bargins out there are the 91-92 80 series. They are selling cheap and for just a few thousand would be an outstanding trail truck, plus comfortable, reliable, classic and slow.

With that said, I would love to have a late model 40 series with power steering, split transfer and A/C but they are scarce and sell at a huge premium.

I looked at all models, and bought an '87 FJ60, since it had the off road capability, manual tranny and simplicity of maintenance that I wanted. 'Course, had to put a 5 speed in it to make it driveable on the freeway.

It's my bird hunting rig, and does fine hauling me and the dogs around town, too.

Mike S

Those are some interesting thoughts..

The lack of power in a 91-92 80..concerns me, but is it MORE reliable, and cheaper to maintain than a 93-99? (my guess is that 4.0 would be a DOG and really slow on road, and lacking torque off road. (but haven't driven one)--They seem like they are bottoming out in price now...I was reading on this board that someone bought one for like $5k USD?--how much life could I expect out of one of these?--I'm guessing the the 4.5 would be a better motor--but is it more reliable, and is it worth the premium?

And lastly...when do you guys see the prices of 80's bottoming out, and starting to rise (like some of the other cruisers have?)

Best Landcruisers: :cheers:
New HZJ105 Poverty Pack, with High country Pack.
New HZJ78 with High country Pack.
New HZJ79 with High country Pack.
New KZJ120 - Good Touring Car.
Or like most Australians who go Four Wheel Driving get a GU Patrol and then whinge about how it's a Third World Country version and misses out on the Diff locks and Sway bar Disconnects. :banana:

How about a 1985 BJ42 LX or a 1990 HJ62 Sahara or a 1998 HZJ80 Poverty Pack? :flipoff2:

Some inside infos from Thailand:

Here everybody looks for a prestige car. Who can afford will buy a Mercedes Benz/BMW. Or at least a big car. Many Thais prefer a pickup to transport anything from children to school, over friends to any type of goods. But you will see many lifted pickups for show. None of these lifted trucks with MTR tires will have ever seen any offroading but they look good.

A Landcruiser 80 or 100 is a very acknowledged vehicle because it is big, high and expensive. There are only a few 80's/100's in the country and all are fully loaded. Without you can't sell them. Prices are sky high for 97-03 models. But you will get a very low mileage rig with everything included (cool box, rear AC, compass, adjustable shocks, etc.) There are a few 60's but only for freaks. Nobody sees here any value in it.

Here it must be new or at least big (80/100, Sport Rider, Tiger Cab, etc.), with prestige and expensive (Mercedes, BMW, Landcruiser 80/100) and of course (for Rick) with a lot of Bling Bling. We haven't a big choice here but at least no rust, low mileage and most rigs are in perfect shape.

Even if we can't have everything here but one thing we have for sure: The best KING in the world !!! :cheers:

Mike

[quote author=crazy canuck link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg82436#msg82436 date=1072852548]
Those are some interesting thoughts..

The lack of power in a 91-92 80..concerns me, but is it MORE reliable, and cheaper to maintain than a 93-99? (my guess is that 4.0 would be a DOG and really slow on road, and lacking torque off road. (but haven't driven one)-[/quote]

The road side you are correct, the trail side you are very wrong....the 3FE in a 91-92 is possibly the best trail engine out there...newer but not so new as to make trail work impossible.

Nice low end, rock solid engine.

-They seem like they are bottoming out in price now...I was reading on this board that someone bought one for like $5k USD?--how much life could I expect out of one of these?--I'm guessing the the 4.5 would be a better motor--but is it more reliable, and is it worth the premium?

I would love to own a 97...in fact I am kind of shopping. I feel that for a trail rig and low mileage DD the 91/92 would work just as well. All the later models are for more comfort, style, road power, etc.

And lastly...when do you guys see the prices of 80's bottoming out, and starting to rise (like some of the other cruisers have?)

I think once the supply starts to dwindle...all the 90s trucks are just now coming off of "new" status so they are entering the used market for the first time in many cases. I would suspect it would take another 10 years for the values to start to increase as well maintained trucks bubble up after that much time with lower miles and nice offroad mods.

*throws 2 pennies out there*

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=9431;start=msg82379#msg82379 date=1072844252]

With that said, I would love to have a late model 40 series with power steering, split transfer and A/C but they are scarce and sell at a huge premium.
[/quote]

see thats why the 81-83 are best for re-sale(assuming you bought new or bought right) it;s the only Cruiser(of somewhat recent vintage) that is worth more now(and in the future) then when newl. no 60/2, 80 or 100 is worth more now then when new(and prolly NEVER will be) As relabile as any other, parts still easy to get, simpler to work on then 88+, really is a decent driver, great off road. This appies to 76-80 fj40 as well, just to a lesser extent.

still an 97 fzj80 rocks, just harder to work on, prolly needs more work, you won't buy one and ever see a profit selling it, even 10 years from now. For the most part 80's got drivin alot more than a late model 40(most of these have 100kish on em) so they need more fixxin. One thing an 80 has over all other Cruiser is lack of rust.....Toyota finnaly got that sorted out. I don't think 20 years from now your gonna find an 80 with a rusted out floor, bed, 1/4s ect.......that can't be said for 90 and earlier.

Let me share this. I am looking at a 94 80 series, one owner, diff locks, leather, 250k, no dents or dings. But it burns some oil, the diff locks dont lock, the top seam on the rad is leaking, tires are shot, shocks are shot but its feels powerfull still and no wierd noises. I can buy it cheap(under 5k) But I'm gonna pass on it.....it's just needs too much and when /if the motor needs a rebuild it gonna cost a chunk of change(more than a 2f rebuild), ect ect. Now if it was at a 81-3 fj40 in the same condistion I would buy it in a heart beat, prolly for more than I can get the 94 for. that 94 cost 30k+ new, now worth 1/10th of that. not sure if that makes sense but a well used 80 just doesn't have alot of buyers for it, a well used(but rust free) 40 still has Alot of buyers and fixin the same items is gonna cost less and return more $$$ now or in the future.

also, not fair..........the question was posted in 80-100 tech, it should have been in Cruiser tech........that way it wouldn't be so 80's biased :flipoff2:

I'll stop ramblin now :flipoff2:

Just my2 centabos ... In August past, I purchased a 1991 FJ80 for $2700.00
I have replaced the radiator, replaced the front calipers had the rotors turned, repacked the front wheel bearings, fixed the left front window problems, and did a little bit of body work,,, oh it had 231k miles on it and takes me to and from work each day,,,30 miles one way,, split fire plugs k&n air filter and semi syn quaker state motor oil, and I also replaced the kick down cable to the transmission... all this said,, I will be selling it and getting a 1995 FZJ80 with leather - diff locks - black -

Everyone, I still stick with my original thoughts. To many of you have focused on one or two particular items and deemed that thruck as the best choice. Resale will always go to the older models as they have bottomed out on that cycle and there is no where to go but up. The resale slowly looses % as the vehicle gets newer. Nothing new here, it's always been like this. The cycle's duration does change with a particular vehicle, some slow (K-Car) some fast (Cobra).

Landpimp, I'd buy that locked 80. Hell the complete factory locking system alone is worth that price. Part it out, axles, harnesses, knobs and controller.

Asiarider, of course it's all about size and prestige.....you guys swing small bats :D

the title for my 71 says it was $3500 brand new, I paid $3000 for it
I paid $2,900 for my 87 60
as far as resale, should lose less on the 40. however if your looking at resell as a main opition, I think youd have to buy one cheap, do nothing to it and roll it over (might change your name to Greg whatshisface) :D.
I love my 40 on and off road, but driving it is an adventure (i.e. not for when I need to get somewhere long distance in a hurry). I was driving it 35 plus miles one way to go hunting on my days off (read didnt have to worry about not getting back home at a certain time or not getting home).

The 80 is the most comfortable vehicle of them all as far as between the three I have. Driving the 60 and 40 has a closer feel to driving a motorcycle, especially the 40.

My .03 cents :D

Gumby brought up the jump in prices from 97 to 98 (80 to 100). Has anyone noticed that 100s aren't holding quite as high as 80s did? And the other thing I've never understood: when we bought our 80, LX450s were almost always a couple thousand cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom