1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best GPS software

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by waldrtw, Oct 9, 2003.

1. waldrtw

waldrtw

I am looking at buying some GPS software to use with my Magellan GPS. I will be using it hooked to my laptop in the L/C. I was wondering if any of you guys are using a setup like this. I want a software that will give me live tracking. I am leaning toward the Delorme Topo 4.0 or the national geographic Topo. Anybody use these. I wll be needing the Oregon maps only.

Tim

2. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Tim,
    Sorry, I use the Garmin now. But, I have done what you want to do and that is run it via the laptop with live tracking. I have used both the Garmin software and interface, and Microsoft Streets and Trips with the NEMA protocol. Both work fine - the problem comes in with the laptop. I use a Toshiba 5105-S607 run through a true sine 125 watt inverter. I can't keep the computer running for hours without it shutting down and then losing the data to that point. I tried all the usual disabling of power saver schemes etc. and think the darn think just gets hot and quits. It's a pain to have to pull over and save the data every so often and then if it does quit there is still a gap. So, I guess my point is, if your going to take long trips, make sure your laptop can stay on in a confined environment for the whole trip. It is a nice way to go other than the big tangle of wires.
    Bill

3. Lars

Lars

4. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

5. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Alaska-,
    Now I must confess. I was worried about vibration etc. so I put the computer in the back on top of my sleeping bag to "cushion" it. That's sort of the problem. If I set it on something hard so the airflow will work I was afraid of it vibrating while running. If I cushion it, it overheats. I think there was a thread on SOR? and someone was running truck over the road and not having any problems with a laptop. My solution is just to let the GPS record the route and waypoints for the day, then every evening I download everything to the laptop. The drawback is if I need to locate myself on the map, trying to see that tiny screen.
    Oh, speaking of laptops, there is something surreal about camping on top of a mountain in Alaska at night and watching a DVD on the laptop.
    Thanks again for the info. They don't post their prices I see.
    Bill

6. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    I use couple of different software with my Garmin III+:

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 for all U.S./some mexico/some canada roads, down to address level. You can load the data cd into your hdd, so that you won't have to mess with a CD when looking up addresses. This is a great software and it's cheap too.

For Topo, I use 3-D topo quads with various CDs...
    For more detail, I use Topo! by National Geographic for 7 1/2 min map. This is great for Moab and Colorado trails.
    I've used Delorme Topo 2.0 for a region by region topo map. Works quite well if you don't need detail information.

I think all topo software that I listed above have live tracking and routing options.

On another note, is anyone using a jotto desk, RAM laptop or anyother mount for their FJ80? How about home made laptop mounts?

ali
    '96

7. rocrawler

rocrawler

For running off road I use DeLorme's 3-D TopoQuads. It gives you every 7.5 Topo for your state. Interfaces just fine with Garmin and Magellan. You can download from the GPS to the mapping program or upload from the mapping program to your GPS.

8. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    just make some shocks for the laptop :D
    if it works, make one for coffee too :cheers:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">