Best fridge / freezer poll - post reasons why you picked (1 Viewer)

Which is the best brand of refrigerator / freezer combo?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like my ARB .. and wish you have the option to have the lateral lid opening more than longitudinal as ARB came ..

Not sure I am understanding you, however for information sake anyone with an older metal ARB 45 which is hinged on the compressor end...you can install some friction hinges on the long side: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ar...er-if-it-opened-like-this.98524/#post-1249408

I just did this with my metal sided ARB and had the transit cover cut and stitched to fit with the new latch (and for my turnbuckle hold-downs). I nutserted instead of using self tapping screws.

I've had this ARB MT-45 since 2006 and have been very happy with it.

I also have a Dometic CF-35. Bought it on a clearance sale at a local RV shop approximately 4 years ago. I thought I had mucked it up as I put the ARB on top of it (both in the garage and turned on as spare mini-fridges at the time) when getting access to something and forgot about it till the following week. It was stuck in freeze mode and I figured the control panel was damaged from a foot on the ARB fridge pressing down on it all week. After trying a few things to get it out of freeze mode and nothing working I put it away to deal with at a later date. Fast forward a year: I was cleaning out the garage, moved the Dometic to the barn and plugged it in. Works like a charm again. Dometic makes Waeco from what I have gathered on line.

hth's
gb

Thanks for posting this. Which direction do you move the setting if fridge is not as cold as the setting currently indicates?

Essentially what you're doing is forcing the thermo readout to display a different value. So if the actual temp is warmer, say 45, and the display reads 40, you move the setting up to show a higher temperature. It looks like there's four settings above and below where it's at ranging from 2 to 8 degrees and also minus 2-8. I have mine set at 8 above to correct how it was displaying a colder temperature than actual as default. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I already gave you a link to the manual. Page 36 explains the procedure...

cheers,
george.

Essentially what you're doing is forcing the thermo readout to display a different value. So if the actual temp is warmer, say 45, and the display reads 40, you move the setting up to show a higher temperature. It looks like there's four settings above and below where it's at ranging from 2 to 8 degrees and also minus 2-8. I have mine set at 8 above to correct how it was displaying a colder temperature than actual as default. Hope that helps.

OK, thanks guys, will try this soon.

If it were in the budget I'd own a National Luna weekender 50 stainless. Maybe some day.

I have an Engel MT45 that has been literally running since 2007. Nothing fancy just a solid workhorse. We also have an IndelB 30 liter in my wife's car. It's a little over a year old. No complaints.

I prefer the steel construction on the Engel. My ONLY complaint with it is that the cooling coils are not imbedded into the walls. So it's really hard to clean behind them. I have the transit bag on it and that definitely makes a difference on running times. Also some protection but it's steel so MEH on that part.

The light inside the IndelB is nice. It's interior has a couple seams that could hold gunk but we have not had much issue yet. The temp settings seem to be accurate.

Last edited:
Engel/ARB 40 just on 15 years old still going strong with zero issues. :)

Last edited:
I only have experience with the old school ARB, but it has always worked great for me.
The only thing I have done to it is use the kit to relocate the lid so it opens from the side, and I had to replace the temp battery around 2011.
I relocated the lid hinges as the lid would hit the roof when it opened up the stock way.
Now I can open it fully with no problems.
When/if it ever dies, I will probably go with the newer style.

I have a temperature conversion chart on the side too so I can set the fridge correctly.
It is nice to have cold fresh food while camping, and I have also used it as a freezer for ice cream when a large group of us have gone exploring.

5.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

I went with the cheap Chinese 37qt Edgestar... I don't have the financial backing to support ARB products. So far no issues

KIMG0030.jpg

Not sure I am understanding you, however for information sake anyone with an older metal ARB 45 which is hinged on the compressor end...you can install some friction hinges on the long side: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ar...er-if-it-opened-like-this.98524/#post-1249408

I just did this with my metal sided ARB and had the transit cover cut and stitched to fit with the new latch (and for my turnbuckle hold-downs). I nutserted instead of using self tapping screws.

yup that's exactly what I'm taking about .. just I have the new model so not sure that it's going to be possible ..

The lids on the newer ARB's pop off for easy access with a little twist.

I know they do that .. just seems to be little messy to me remove the hole lid to pull one apple .. ( or beer ? :D)

I have the new style ARB with the remote monitoring, love it works very well.

A friend just recently installed a 36l Isotherm fridge Drawer in the rear of a Land Cruiser. Very low amp draw, extremely quit, and super fast cooling. The drawer fridge market is yachts and sailboat but works very well in a LC. I have to admit it is very convenient being able to drop the tail gate open the fridge drawer and have much easier access to your stuff.

381632.jpg

^^ What dimensions is that fridge drawer...... I'll be awesome to have one that would fit my rig.... got a linky ?

I have the new style ARB with the remote monitoring, love it works very well.

I see the arb monitor is specific to the fridge. Does anyone have a non-arb wireless monitoring system that works well? I could probably buy a cheap outdoor wireless thermometer and display, but not sure how that would look.

I see the arb monitor is specific to the fridge. Does anyone have a non-arb wireless monitoring system that works well? I could probably buy a cheap outdoor wireless thermometer and display, but not sure how that would look.
I just use a cheap fridge/freezer thermometer from walmart and leave it inside. For a while I was trying to figure out a in dash temp display but lost interest.

A friend just recently installed a 36l Isotherm fridge Drawer in the rear of a Land Cruiser. Very low amp draw, extremely quit, and super fast cooling. The drawer fridge market is yachts and sailboat but works very well in a LC. I have to admit it is very convenient being able to drop the tail gate open the fridge drawer and have much easier access to your stuff.

381632.jpg

If I read correctly, its manufacturer is Webasto? If so, then the price is right. Not inexpensive, but always
reliable. I have a NL Weekender, but I think this is a bit rich for me. Cool idea, no pun intended

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom