Best FJ60 setup for towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I haven't tried it yet, I don't think my stock '85 FJ60 would handle much of a trailer. I would like to get a 1000-1750# tent trailer for some camping, but I'm thinking the old truck will have a hard time in the mountains of the NW pulling it. Any ideas on the best way forward in this case? No I don't want to get a different truck... ;)

my stock 2F w/ a 5-spd?
350 w/ a 4 or 5-spd?
6.2 diesel w/ 4 or 5-spd

Thanks.
Marc

PS - I just added calipers and a M/C from a '95 4-Runner - really easy to do and she seems to be a better stopping truck now...all thanks to the mudder forum!

uphill? V8
downhill? you got the brakes now.

A well tuned, strong naturally aspirated 2F won't have much trouble with a 1750# trailer...

I used to tow about 1200# trailer with my '74 FJ40 with the original, powerless F motor through the N. GA mountains (not as high as yours out west, but I was dealing with a less power)

If you are going to go to anything else I would not stop short of-
TBI or Vortec v8
Cummins 4BT or 6BT
Turbo that 2F

i've pulled 1200lbs of gravel in my utility trailer. once up to speed, not noticeable. getting to speed and hills, quite noticable. FWIW

I've pulled a 1500+lb sailboat trailer up to the high lakes here in central oregon, (several times). I've got a good reciever hitch..I keep my coolant system maintained. It is slooow going up the passes, but does fine once I get going, braking is not a problem..but brakes on the trailer if over 2k is good.

Just don't be in a rush it will tractor on up the grades eventually..Hell I don't drive over 60 not towing anything..In the passes I use the "slow vehicle lanes" any time one pops up..If I was in a rush..I'd get a new 2007 Toytoa Tundra. But like you said... I wanna use the Crusier..

My '84 pulled a 1986 16' Bayliner with the 4 cyl Volvo I/O about 500 miles last winter. I reckon that's at least 1500 lbs. The worst part was Phoenix to Flagstaff where the elevation rises about 6000ft in 120 miles. On the flats, it would run 65 in 4th all day long, even at a mile high. The hills were slow going but I didn't think I was hurting the truck any. I wouldn't hesitate to pull a tent trailer, just get in the right lane on the uphills.

OK - Thanks y'all for the words of encouragement. I'll try to find a trailer as light as possible (we don't need anything big) and give it a whirl before thinking about swapping things out. Although the 5-speed idea still seems nice to me.

My Nissan Titan spoiled me -so I'll have to get used to the right lane I guess. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom