Best "easy" camping food (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bring an aeropress with me. It makes a great cup of coffee and does not take up much room. I have not found an instant coffee I like

I like this coffee making hack as I need my cup of Joe in the morning. Just fill a coffee filter with a scoop or two of ground coffee and tie it tightly with some fishing line or yarn or dental floss. You now have a “coffee bag” perfect for making a single cup by steeping hot water. On this same note does anyone have any favorite coffee suggestions?

I really like foursigmatic. It’s made with lions mane shaga mushroom and I don’t get the coffee crash. Great for the trail.

My easiest / most appreciated cooked trail meal is a 1 box to 1 can ratio of Mac n cheese and baked beans. If I have extra sausage or bacon I’ll toss that in as well.

Kids and adults alike respond pretty well to meet, cheese, and cracker service aka diy lunchables.

Also a hit:
Peanut butter, banana, 2 crunchy nature valley bars on kinds Hawaiian loaf or a Killer Dave’s multigrain loaf.

No fridge needed :)

The sausage and dehydrated pulled pork are from Costco. The Chinese sausage only needs to be refrigerated after opening. It tastes good too. A little sweet though.
I have not tried the pork yet. I like the Shin Noodle Soup.

I'm thinking the pork can go well together with the soup and add just a little seasoning to the mix since the pork comes seasoned anyway. The whole pack might be a little too much in the end. I need to experiment with it at home at first.
The sausage, of course, on the grill.

IMG_20180218_190050224.jpg

IMG_20180218_190059780.jpg

IMG_20180218_190129784.jpg

Gosh, I camp solo most of the time. If it's not quick and easy to make ... and quick and easy to clean up, it doesn't happen. My most complex dinner:

Cook ~one cup of egg noodles, drain ... add one can of chicken and one packet of Lipton onion-mushroom soup mix. One pot and done.

Others?

Mac and cheese with hot dogs.
Chili and hot dogs.
Those Knorr Sides packets. Either rice or noodles. Usually one of these is a meal. Some are good with a can of chicken.
Spaghetti and a jar sauce. Or, use the egg noodles and the jar sauce.

For dessert ... Jiffy muffin mixes in my BakePacker. Cornbread, blueberry muffin, apple cinnamon muffin.
Here is the BakePacker blueberry muffin birthday cake I made for my 60th birthday on a Baja beach. I've also used the BakePacker to steam burritos.

20170316_180546.jpg

Last edited:
No fridge needed :)

The sausage and dehydrated pulled pork are from Costco. The Chinese sausage only needs to be refrigerated after opening. It tastes good too. A little sweet though.
I have not tried the pork yet. I like the Shin Noodle Soup.

I'm thinking the pork can go well together with the soup and add just a little seasoning to the mix since the pork comes seasoned anyway. The whole pack might be a little too much in the end. I need to experiment with it at home at first.
The sausage, of course, on the grill.

View attachment 1636570

View attachment 1636571

View attachment 1636572

Those have all been staples in our pantry growing up!

Funny
I swear I just had one of those cups 10 min ago, but I added some peas and carrots I had cooked yesterday

We do a lot the Burrito Tray I bought from YodaTEQ. Usually toss something in the tray in the morning, commute to the run, stop for lunch and it's sometimes too hot to handle. We do lots of Burritos from Filiberto's or frozen, various things wrapped in foil (Hot Dogs, Meat Balls, Gyro Meat, etc.), and I'm considering trying a medium sized frozen Lasagna. We did a cross country trip using pre-made foil packets and the family loved it enough to get an endorsement from the wife for an ARB fridge. Didn't spend a dime on food from AZ to NC and back!

At camp, it's usually something prepped at home and stuck in the fridge then reheated on a single burner pan or the fire. We do a lot with Mountain House dehydrated foods too.

Sliced brisket, pulled pork, pre-made chili, curry, dal, rice, beans, cubed cooked potatoes, brats-n-kraut, etc... vacuum seal individual ingredients in single-serving portions (and frozen in flat packs) - simply put them in a pot of water and heat. It's like making your own MREs but lots better. The only cleanup you have is disposing of the vacuum seal bags and your eating utensils. The water is already heated for french press coffee or tea. I use this technique at home for saving and subsequent use of extra left-overs.

A shortcut I like that both saves time trash and space is beating a dozen eggs at home and pouring them in a water bottle to store in my 12v fridge. It's great because you don't have any waste whatsoever to deal with, no broken eggs and way less space than a carton.

A shortcut I like that both saves time trash and space is beating a dozen eggs at home and pouring them in a water bottle to store in my 12v fridge. It's great because you don't have any waste whatsoever to deal with, no broken eggs and way less space than a carton.
Ooh I like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom