1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best driving lights?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mike S, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Mike S

Mike S

Looking to mount a pair of driving lights on my 60 for off-highway driving in the desert and Baja. What are you gentlemen using? What works, What is durable? How to best mount the lights?

Thanks in advance.

Mike S

PS: I have already upgraded original headlights to Hella H4's, and will upgrade the alternator to 120 amps, and install a better harness (IPF?). Additional lights seem to be the next step.

2. VTCruiser

VTCruiser

3. Charlie

Charlie

Got a tip from a sandcar guy about HID Lighting. His buddy had HID Hellas and his Sandcar and he had these little silver lights. I know the Hellas and others are about $500 to $700 each but my buddy got these for about $550 for (2) lights, relays, ballasts and a keyless remote fob. You can get them at JC Whitney and they are made by Eagle Eye. I have them and I have the same Hella Headlamp that you have and it's great, the HID's are 10 times brighter and seem to be holding up to the rigors of the mighty Baja. They use 35 watts each. Check them out!!

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Charlie..

Got a linky link to these little wonders...?

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    My favorite lights are the PIAA 80 series, they have a h-4 bulb 90/135, so a low and high beam.

Next up is the Hella 4000

I have a set of Lightforce 240..........big and bright and adjustable like a mag light. I currently don't have them mounted.........so I might sell em ;)

6. Charlie

Charlie

7. Mike S

Mike S

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=12193;start=msg111798#msg111798 date=1077914733]
    My favorite lights are the PIAA 80 series, they have a h-4 bulb 90/135, so a low and high beam.

Next up is the Hella 4000

I have a set of Lightforce 240..........big and bright and adjustable like a mag light. I currently don't have them mounted.........so I might sell em ;)
    [/quote]

So... PM me with details? These Lightforce 240 lights look really good... :eek:

Mike S

8. dd113

dd113

I have the Hela 4000s and they rock. Come in a few different varities. Pencil to wide. I like the euro city lights. Longer beam but a bit wider for side coverage. Rather pricey. Usually around $200 a light + relay etc... I sell them for $300 a set with relay and covers. The PIAAs are very cool and very spensive

9. Mike S

Mike S

10. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Mike,
    There's a lot of "bling bling" and opinion about lighting. You will find that there is a lot of variance in advice that you receive. Do you desire a pencil beam or a wide pattern? Is cost an issue for you? Can you do your own wiring? Will you be throwing stones at these things (driving fast)?

Several years ago, I had a friend show me a lamp that I have been very impressed with. I have only found them through a VW Bug distributor (Mofoco). They are a 180mm, glass lens, pencil beam, H3, surface mount lamp. The reflector is very large (light output depends largely on reflector size and light source intensity), and the package is relatively thin. They were about $20 each and you could get covers for them. For the price, these are hard to beat. You can put up to a 130W bulb in them. I have a pair on my brush guard (as well as on the rear), and they do a great job. What I mean is that they matched good reflector optics with the bulb type. Did I mention that they are inexpensive? Yea, about $20 each.

HID - I have spent about half of my career doing lighting with GM (including HID work) and have learned all there is to know about automotive gas discharge lighting. I am a true fan of this technology, but I have not yet seen a good implementation by anyone. If you have the money, you will be impressed with what you get.

One piece of advice - make sure you use a relay when wiring any auxillary lighting.

Good luck.

11. Mike S

Mike S

I am looking for a set of powerful driving lights that will help when driving in Baja and Western US back roads. The Hella headlights are OK for street legal freeway driving, and much better than stock. I want to be able to see the road and side of the road to a range of about 250 or 300 meters. I don't like running into range cattle, stream fords and the like at 40 to 50 miles per hour.

I realized the need for these lights as I assessed the ability of my 60 (stock brakes) to stop while hauling a 1200 lb trailer.

Plan on a proper harness with relays, and control either manually or on/off with the high beam control when manually switched on.

I am also planning on one or two white floods pointing to the rear of the vehicle to make trailer manuvers easier.

Since you have experience in the field, what do you recommend?

Mike S

12. Mike S

Mike S

PS - went to MOFOCO site - could not find reference to lighting. Maybe I will call them.

Thanks.

Mike

13. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Mike,
    Since you are looking for reaction time out of your lights, I would recommend the Bosch Rallye lights from Mofoco (no affiliation). You have to download the catalogue and flip through (click on the page number at the top) to page 13. They are still $20 each. For that price, I'd get 4 (2 for the back), then get some 130W H3 replacement bulbs. I have a set on my FJ40 pointing backwards (they turn on automatically when I shift to reverse, and when the switch is in a certain position). 55W for those are more than enough. You could diffuse the light with some lens optics (lots of ways to do this - like placing an opaque sheet in front of the lens, etc.).

My advice is mostly based on cost, but they are well designed lamps (very good reflector optic efficiency). At the speeds you're talking about, you may end up cracking a lens (they are glass), but it will be cheap to replace. If you are very dissatisfied with them, I'll buy them from you because I was going to get them for my other FJ40 also. I have set up 3 friends with these lamps and they are satisfied with the performance.

You will be lacking a wide spread beam pattern for side lighting. If you are concerned about it, you may want to consider some fog lamps as well (wait till after you get the other ones integrated, then evaluate your need).

Just my opinion, I hope it helps you...

14. Mike S

Mike S

Mark

Thanks! This could be the answer. I will order a pair, and find or make a harness that can drive them. I am not tooo worried about the money, but if they get the job done why pay more, right?

Mike S

15. pvaman

pvaman

how about some pics of how you guys have these mounted.

16. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    Hella 4000 Euro beams on the 60
    [​IMG]

PIAA 80 series H-4's on the 80
    [​IMG]

17. dd113

dd113

Pimp, What is with the red rings on the Hellas? Mine are black all around and the Euro city beam. Are they diferent colours for different beam patterns?

Btw: Very Gay 60. Are you trying to copy me? One east, one West is fine with me

18. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I am a master with a rattle can........ :D

I have never seen pics of your junk............so I will assume your coping me :flipoff2:

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=12193;start=msg114226#msg114226 date=1078292566]
    Pimp, What is with the red rings on the Hellas? Mine are black all around and the Euro city beam. Are they diferent colours for different beam patterns?

Btw: Very Gay 60. Are you trying to copy me? One east, one West is fine with me
    [/quote]

19. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Here are mine mounted on the brush guard. I have the fog lamps for side illumination.

The lamps mount using (I think) a 1/2 inch hole. You can mount them on any surface, then swing through a pretty large angle. You may need to make up some simple brackets to secure them if you don't want to put a huge hole in your bumper.

20. Mike S

Mike S

The Bosch lights that Mark was referring to at MOFOCO for 19.95 each are GONE. The same light now costs 69.95 EACH from this supplier. Bummer.

Mike S