Best Distributor for '73 F motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have an idea of the best distributor to run in my 73' with the stock F motor? I was thinking about putting an electronic ignition conversion in at the same time, but wanted to see if anyone has had a good or bad experience with any of the setups out there? I do not have to worry about smog equipment, and have tried to remove it.

Why are you changing this out?
The best distributor is the electronic distributor out of an FJ60. You need to fget the Dist, the coil and ignitor and the side cover from the later motor.

Failing that, I have had alot of success running the Non-USA (E-69) distributor (yeah, I still have the points).

Another option is a DUI HEI distributor, but I wouldn't swap out a WORKING setup for this.

HTH

I am swapping it out b/c I cannot get it to hold the timing. I thought I could probably change the clamp, or something like that but decided I wanted to put a new unit in there to increase reliabliity.

8/80+ fj40 or fj60 set up is the best IMOP

next best, 79-80, same basic thing, just small cap, so no need for new side cover.

then I would prolly look at a non US(aka early cruiser) dizzy and add a pertronixs to it.

John

I know which distributor I won't recommend. At least until they start putting a better friggin gear on it.

Been running this for 6 years now with no problems. Uses a 69 advance distributor.

Last edited:
I run the non-US early dizzy in my dd and my trail rig. DD gets the pertronix for reliability; trail rig gets good old fashioned points for maximum power.

I am biased against things electronic, so I carry points for the DD as well. The Pertronix has failed before.

81-87 2F factory ignition. need dist, coil+ignitor, pushrod cover.

vac advance, ball bearing, waterproof, toyota.

have spare coil/ignitor.

Got pertronix this spring. I just don't know why I did not do it 6 years ago :doh: . My best cheap upgrade by far.

65swb45 said:
trail rig gets good old fashioned points for maximum power.

Tell me how this works, Mark. I hadn't heard this before.

I just don't understand what the aversion to points is...
YES you hae to maintain them. It's simple. Takes 5 minutes.

In the 3 years I have had my NON-USA distributor I have had to adjust the points ONCE becuase I was having a hard start problem (on the other hand, I was getting GREAT power and good fuel economy). I adjusted the points, and now the truck lites right off. I havne't calculated gas mileage, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom