Best Diesel for Conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
I'm looking into getting rid of the 3FE in my 1992 FJ80 (A440 Trans, Full time t-case), and going with a diesel conversion.

Between the HD-T and HZ motors, which was offered from the factory in this year? Which, if either, would bolt up to the A440 trans (with a new bellhousing/flywheel of course), and be the "easier" swap?

I'd like to be able to do more than 50mph on the highway fully loaded....and actually get more than 13mpg on that said highway, and definitely more than 9mpg in town.

Any opinions?

-H-

IMHO...12-HT would likely be the easiest...since 60's originally came with them.

I don't think you'd have to change the bellhousing this way either.

I think the 12HT is a great engine. Pulls fine for me, and I haven't messed with the factory specs. I get mid 20's (USmpg) on the highway behind the same tranny as you have. Around town, not so great, since it really doesn't get up to temperature. That and I live in a really hilly town, and it's fun to boot up hills...

I think there is a lot of potential torque and HP available if you wanted to tune, since I believe Toyota derates engines for reliability reasons.

:doh: Whoops, just read that you are in an 80... Read 3FE and thought 62...

(I still like my 12HT... ;) )

1HZ or the HDT...
parts for another 20 years... 12HT is old and will become hard to get parts for much sooner...
cheers

I suggest just emailing Sheldon at G&S cruiser parts

sheldon@gscruiserparts.com

he's converting or has already his own 80 series.

H-

1HD-T would be the obvious replacement in an 80 series. As wayne has said, 12H-T while a sound engine is 15 years old at youngest and parts may slip sooner. I would stick with the mated auto or correct H150/1 5 speed if converting your truck and avoid trying to make the gas auto fit (headaches with conversion of FJ62 in Long Beach I know of..details offlist)

I am finally beginning my 1HD-T (into 13B-T slot) conversion this week in Tucson. PM me and drive down in 30 days to hear (and maybe drive) the thing around the block....(I am going manual H55 behind it) New tranny gets picked up Thursday AM!

Stone said:
It's really too bad that Toyota's run on the 12H-T was so short. They really are a great engine IMO.

One of their best I think. Check out some Ozzy boards for stories for 600,000kms plus with no issues, just regular maintenance...

1HZ or 1HD-T are nothing to sneeze at either though, once the BEB's are done, pusher pump installed, and extra filtration doen to keep the rotory pump happy.

I would have preferred Toyota to keep the inline pump, timing gears, and mate that to the block mounted vacum pump design the 1HZ/HD-T have. Fuel solinod is a nice touch over the VSV too...

gb

Greg, the 1HZ and 1HD-T are essentially the same engine, though one is turbo'd. Kind of like the 3B is to the 13BT, right, or have I been sniffing magic markers again...

-Kevin

Technikev said:
Greg, the 1HZ and 1HD-T are essentially the same engine, though one is turbo'd. Kind of like the 3B is to the 13BT, right, or have I been sniffing magic markers again...

-Kevin

Same short block from what I've heard.

Greg_B said:
One of their best I think. Check out some Ozzy boards for stories for 600,000kms plus with no issues, just regular maintenance...

1HZ or 1HD-T are nothing to sneeze at either though, once the BEB's are done, pusher pump installed, and extra filtration doen to keep the rotory pump happy.

I would have preferred Toyota to keep the inline pump, timing gears, and mate that to the block mounted vacum pump design the 1HZ/HD-T have. Fuel solinod is a nice touch over the VSV too...

gb

Greg, I have the 645 unit of Racors filters. What else would you suggest (besides using a good additive every tank to help with water absorbtion) to put inline to help compensate?

Tom

Technikev said:
Greg, the 1HZ and 1HD-T are essentially the same engine, though one is turbo'd. Kind of like the 3B is to the 13BT, right, or have I been sniffing magic markers again...-Kevin

kinda, yes...same blocks in their respective family tree.

1HZ is naturally aspirated indirect injected, as is the 3B, which means different heads, pistons, injectors, compression from their direct injected siblings. Same for the 2H and 12HT.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. To my mind it depends on what you want, and where you are going with it.

It's a testimony to the lowly 3B and the 1HZ what they put up with when turbo'd and tuned.

gb

HZJ60 Guy said:
Greg, I have the 645 unit of Racors filters. What else would you suggest (besides using a good additive every tank to help with water absorbtion) to put inline to help compensate?Tom

What micron Tom? I know some have put two filters in line, with the 10 for last. While some consider that overkill, with your pusher pump it should be fine. That said with the single Racor and a good additive I would not worry too much.

Was it Mike from Idaho that had a few filters inline with his 13BT swap, and ended up taking them all out cert for one aftermarket in addition to the 13BT stock filter?

gb

Last edited:
rick_d said:
Hsooner. I would stick with the mated auto or correct H150/1 5 speed if converting your truck and avoid trying to make the gas auto fit

Hello rick_d

Yes, what he said. Use the auto tranny the engine came with.

Good luck with the install!

gb

Greg_B said:
kinda, yes...same blocks in their respective family tree.

1HZ is naturally aspirated indirect injected, as is the 3B, which means different heads, pistons, injectors, compression from their direct injected siblings. Same for the 2H and 12HT.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. To my mind it depends on what you want, and where you are going with it.

It's a testimony to the lowly 3B and the 1HZ what they put up with when turbo'd and tuned.

gb

2 Micron Greg. How's that in YO?

greg wrote:
I would have preferred Toyota to keep the inline pump, timing gears, and mate that to the block mounted vacum pump design the 1HZ/HD-T have.

oh, you mean like the 14B or 15B-FT?

inline pump, gear driven timing, gear driven vacuum....

In fact, anybody done a 15B conversion? They seem to be readily available and not too far from the 13BT prices.

Bit of a Jackass reply.......

the best deisel will be the one you thoose.....................................

My personal preferance is theoyota diesel, it is quiet and performs very well.

Me and my 8 year old daugher drove all day i a 1977 FJ45 on and off road, she loved the FJ45 with 1HZ, H55, split case and factory PTO.

Althought she never had any idea what moved this vehicle, she was very happy never the less.

PS. never in my life have I been pulled over and asked so many questions in on day.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom