Best diesel for 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 6BT 12 valve in mine, there are pros and cons to this motor.

The extra weight and torque of the drivetrain has been hard on the axles in the last couple years, the "cool factor" of a 6BT in your toyota is nice, I get comments about it everytime I go to the parts store or fill it up at the station, but the maintenace costs for a cummins can be overwhelming at times, not that a toyota diesel is cheap either.

I like my little 3B actually, but most will likely find it underpowered for an 80.

I would be inclined to try the newer little isuzu 4 cylinder diesels. Lots of positive feedback and decent mileage from them, and the weight is a bit more friendly.

Most states require the motor to be same year or newer than vehicle its going into.

so you don't have choice but to put in a 6B for a 97, if you wanted to go cummins, no? I forget what the latest year for a 4BTA? I thought they still make'em.

so you don't have choice but to put in a 6B for a 97, if you wanted to go cummins, no? I forget what the latest year for a 4BTA? I thought they still make'em.
You can still buy new 4BT engines.

Here's Cummins' mining page.
http://cumminsengines.com/every/applications/mining/mine.page

"From the compact 60-hp B3.3 to the mighty 3500-hp QSK78 there's a Cummins engine that's right for every job. In fact, as the world’s largest independent manufacturer of diesel engines, Cummins has more Tier 2 emissions-certified mining engines in use today than the combined total of all other mining engine manufacturers combined."

I guess that includes both above ground and underground mining operations.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of that stat is 1500 to 2500 hp engines. Pretty common to swap CAT engines for Cummins in heavy equipment. They're awesome. Too bad Toyota isn't in that market.

The fact that their largest customer is the Chinese which they make parts for to assemble in Chinese factories for Chinese mining operations around the world, I guess is irrelevant.

But, we were talking about a little lighter weight trucks being used underground with 4BT's. Not sleeping with Chinese. And, as no one who piped up can substantiate their claims - I'll call BS.

I'll go practice my math skills.....

I have thoughtt about the lil engine out of the liberty. I know....I know....flame away. But from a couple conversations I've had with a friend who owns a turbo shop, he said this,is a great engine, that takes very. Little to get around 300hp and close to 400lbs of torque, all day long. I figured the engine would not add weight, and not have too much power so that I would be breaking things all the time. It (hopefully) would get a couple miles more a gallon than what I'm getting now.

It has not happened, so don't kick me out of your little clubhouse yet, it was just a thought......

I have thoughtt about the lil engine out of the liberty. I know....I know....flame away. But from a couple conversations I've had with a friend who owns a turbo shop, he said this,is a great engine, that takes very. Little to get around 300hp and close to 400lbs of torque, all day long. I figured the engine would not add weight, and not have too much power so that I would be breaking things all the time. It (hopefully) would get a couple miles more a gallon than what I'm getting now.

It has not happened, so don't kick me out of your little clubhouse yet, it was just a thought......

I have a Liberty CRD. Great little engine for the Liberty's size. A variant is used in the Wrangler everywhere except the US. The problem I have is it is full of electronics. All kinds of little things need to be done to it to make it last. Probably the same problems any newer diesel will have such as all the emissions crap.

I know my buddy, not a jeep guy by any means, bought 2 of em recently. One for a driver, and one to build. I am waiting to see how it does! He builds some wicked turbo set ups. He is in love with the 80s, but will only get one to do a diesel swap. He's been talking about it.

Didn't they pull that diesel after only 1 or 2 years. My gma had one of the diesel libertys and it had lots of trouble with some of the auxillary systems. Lots of electronics on that motor.

US had it in 05 & 06. After that I believe it wouldn't pass emissions.

My last 4bta was a 2001 inline pump motor. The newer motors are isb electronically controlled but have 4 valves per cylinder.... so that's a plus

A friend just bought a brand new 170HP 4.5L 4BT Cummins for $4900 delivered.

Then he bought a Nice 2000 Excursion with a bad V10 for $3000 and a 6.0 ZF 6 speed, transfercase, drivelines, pedals and hydroboost with 80K miles for $2200.

I'm machining the adapter plate, flywheel and accessory mounts to use the V10 alternator, AC and power steering.

He'll have about $15K into a really nice 20 MPG Excursion.

He'll sell his 2011 6.7 Dodge crewcab when it's done in a couple weeks and put about $30K in his pocket.

What does that have to do with an 80 series? The same brand new commonrail 4.5 Cummins can be bought for $4900 and bolted into an 80 series for a lot less than it cost to put it in the excursion if you keep the Landcruiser auto.

A friend just bought a brand new 170HP 4.5L 4BT Cummins for $4900 delivered.

Then he bought a Nice 2000 Excursion with a bad V10 for $3000 and a 6.0 ZF 6 speed, transfercase, drivelines, pedals and hydroboost with 80K miles for $2200.

I'm machining the adapter plate, flywheel and accessory mounts to use the V10 alternator, AC and power steering.

He'll have about $15K into a really nice 20 MPG Excursion.

He'll sell his 2011 6.7 Dodge crewcab when it's done in a couple weeks and put about $30K in his pocket.

What does that have to do with an 80 series? The same brand new commonrail 4.5 Cummins can be bought for $4900 and bolted into an 80 series for a lot less than it cost to put it in the excursion if you keep the Landcruiser auto.

Source? That price seems a little... too good to be true.

$29K for a qsb conversion: https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/513756-qsb-conversion.html. Makes sense. If I were to do it myself with the following setup "for example", all new parts:

4.5L 4B or 5.9 6B + 4L80E tranny + tranny adapter + tranny controller + my full time tcase adapter to 4L80E + motor mounts.

Just all that come upto about $20K +/-. Than I'm sure their will be other stuff.

This 4.5L qsb seems hard to find though. Brief search popped couple on ebay. Also quieter than the 4BT...tempting, very tempting.

Its a mercedes engine I believe, not actually a mopar thing, so call it a mercedes engine and we wont give you to hard a time.

With the torque and hp you mentioned though you dont need to justify it either, that would be fun in an 80 and probably knock quite a few pounds off of it in contrast to the 3FE or 1FZ.
:cheers:

Interesting output numbers, but if easy and inexpensive to do, then I would expect to see lots of Liberties going around smoking all 4 tires. John

Best 80's diesel serie?
In my opinion, the 2nd serie of 12 valves 1hd-t is the best.( from end '92 to end 93)
Differences between 1st and 2nd serie:
Bigger clutch, bigger brake disk, bigger cv joints.
Viscouse on central diff. ( not bad on wet road driving, if perfectly working)
No electronics.
Monster traction in low range use, and good in high range simply regulating the inj. pump and turbo pressure.
Furthermore the VX version got comfortable interiors: leather, roof, aircon, electric seats.
Europe and AU no problems to get original spare parts.
Ciao!

Its a mercedes engine I believe, not actually a mopar thing, so call it a mercedes engine and we wont give you to hard a time.

With the torque and hp you mentioned though you dont need to justify it either, that would be fun in an 80 and probably knock quite a few pounds off of it in contrast to the 3FE or 1FZ.
:cheers:

Actually its an Italian company that makes it for jeep to their standards.... the one in the grand cherokee is the 3.0 mercedes blue tech motor.

$29K for a qsb conversion: https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/513756-qsb-conversion.html. Makes sense. If I were to do it myself with the following setup "for example", all new parts:

4.5L 4B or 5.9 6B + 4L80E tranny + tranny adapter + tranny controller + my full time tcase adapter to 4L80E + motor mounts.

Just all that come upto about $20K +/-. Than I'm sure their will be other stuff.

This 4.5L qsb seems hard to find though. Brief search popped couple on ebay. Also quieter than the 4BT...tempting, very tempting.

Anyone can buy one brand new for $4900. This is a QSB 4.5L commonrail with everything but the chassis side throttle position sensor. There are more than a handful at this price. They are OEM surplus.

The $29K Proffitts commonrail 3.9 conversion didn't have a breakdown, but I'd imagine they used a GM automatic and an abundance of adapters and electronics to work around removing the original parts.

I would suggest something like this-

New 4.5 plus TPS $5500

Adapter from RGT Cummins to your existing Aisin transmission around $1400

AC, PS pump and mounts, Misc. fasteners, fittings, hoses, electric fan- Around $1500

Year dependent you may need a transmission controller $1K

3.73 gears and installation $2K

Experieinced installation $4-5K

Say $17K total.

Lets throw in another $2000 for transmission upgrades just in case (worst possible scenario).

There you get about $19K investment you won't consider selling after the fact.

If you have a well equipped home shop and are good at sourcing parts you can cut a good $8K off that price tag.

IMO, a mechanical 4BT in an 80 is a pretty good setup with the right gearing. 4.10's and 33"s is less than stellar. 35's works fine, but 3.73 gears and 33" tires would be preferred for mileage. The Isuzu 4BD1T is a little smoother than the 4BT and doesn't suffer when wound out past 3000 RPM with less than ideal gearing.

The mechanical engines do get better mileage in the right setups. They are more efficient than commonrail injection, but not as clean or smooth and quiet. I would anticipate low 20's for average combined MPG with a commonrail Cummins 4 cylinder in an 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom