Best diesel/Auto trans combo for 97 in USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I don’t agree that the 4bt doesn’t have enough power, I also don’t think it should ever be in a passenger vehicle. If you’ve got/ridden in one and can get past the vibrations and noise goo for you. I can’t.

There’s a 4BT ……
it will literally melt your face.

It's basically a 6BT with two cylinders chopped off and a huge harmonic balancer slapped on the front. The motor is reliable and can make plenty of power, but it's miserable to be around. A 6BT fits, they are available, they are simple, and they are reliable... and they can make more torque than you will ever possibly want (and if you want more... the 6BT factory block is good for like 1400 ft-lbs and like 700HP... they are insane).

It's basically a 6BT with two cylinders chopped off and a huge harmonic balancer slapped on the front. The motor is reliable and can make plenty of power, but it's miserable to be around. A 6BT fits, they are available, they are simple, and they are reliable... and they can make more torque than you will ever possibly want (and if you want more... the 6BT factory block is good for like 1400 ft-lbs and like 700HP... they are insane).
But what auto tranny fits with it?

I have both , and I have a 4BT in my 80 , if done correctly it’s not bad at all. If someone wants a diesel then they know what they’re in for , the weight of the 6BT imo is just too much for an suv , my 80 weighs 7K lbs , and the little 4BT pulls it around no issues , yes the power is there for a 6BT but my 6Bt is in a full size truck .. my only complaint with the 4BT is noise , the vibration at idle isn’t horrible . But I see what you’re saying it’s not for everyone

I'm planning on a 6BT with an AB60F for my 97LX.
It's not installed. Still working through the details.
Does anyone know if the ab60f will bolt up to the 1hdfte? I know the a750f does and likely the a760f, 6 speed brother, but ive not seen the a760f advertised as being able to lock up the torque converter in 5th and 6th. I'm curious but it's obviously difficult get any idea just from pictures of the bell housing and transfer case housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom