Best diesel/Auto trans combo for 97 in USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 VX Limited right hand drive that I am looking to do a diesel engine transmission swap.

What are my options? I wanna keep it an automatic

I was thinking about the Cummins r 2.8 but I feel it might be a bit to small for an 80. Maybe if there was options for more power for it. It’s 161hp 320 tq I don’t think will be enough for me. Vw has some swap options that are pretty popular too. I haven’t researched them enough though. I’ve started leaning towards a v8 again if I do one. A fresh 4.5 is the current plan though lol

This and a turbo 400 work great
batman1966-batman.gif

@gordon5211 here's the diesel swap that I probably found most impressive:

could also look at using a mb om606. i think that going the vw route would be a waste of time, if you think that the 2.8 dosnt have enough power i think you would be dissapointed. uness you go for the v10 tdi, then you have a winner there

I was thinking about the Cummins r 2.8 but I feel it might be a bit to small for an 80. Maybe if there was options for more power for it. It’s 161hp 320 tq I don’t think will be enough for me. Vw has some swap options that are pretty popular too. I haven’t researched them enough though. I’ve started leaning towards a v8 again if I do one. A fresh 4.5 is the current plan though lol

I agree, it's too small and too expensive... plenty of space for an extra 2 cylinders ;)

6BT!

I agree, it's too small and too expensive... plenty of space for an extra 2 cylinders ;)

6BT!
Well, if I go forward with this diesel swap, I will have a 60,000 mile 4.5 1FC engine and the corresponding transmission available for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom