1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best brand of walking cane

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by miked, Jun 28, 2005.

1. miked

miked

does anyone here use a cane?
    if so, what kind? is it adjustable? what is the grip like? how many did you go through before you found the right one?

i've recently aggravated an old injury from an industrial accident and find myself needing a cane for basic point A to B. i'm 34 yrs old but look like i could be much younger. i find that when people see me with a cane, they jump to one of a few common misconceptions.
    a.) its a sword cane!!(california does not allow it's citizens to carry such things(who does? eh?))
    b.) i'm too young to need one so i must be faking it to gain sympathy.
    c.) <insert countless mocking insults here>

i've tried all the walgreens/walmart specials and none of them seem to be just right. i'm currently using a hand-me-down from someone who knew someone who passed away and doesn't need it anymore. i've had two of these and not only do they make me feel odd every time i pick them up but, the length/grip/weight/look/feel of them just isn't right.

i've been to physical therapists but they seem to have a list of devices they are bound to. only one of them seemed like it would work for me but alas, the insurance wouldn't cover it because it was 'too pretty'.
    sigh... the last thing i want is to be flashy with a cane. i need it to blend in and not be noticed!
    ok, there have been a few that the PTs said were for me but they looked more like a crutch than a cane.

google and the like only come up with gimmick/advertisements so i'm asking the mud-h8-ers.

2. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

NOt much help here other than there are some cool hiking poles out there. Some have a spike on the bottom with a removeable rubber foot. The handle has a shock mount to reduce impact. I'd go with a self arrest grip - it looks something like an ice axe. Maybe overkill but you might as well have the cool tool if you're going to carry it around anyhow.

3. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    c) ask patride or swanky, they are pretty old :flipoff2:

4. swank60

swank60

5. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    wow only 5 min response time, maybe you dont need a cane

6. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

seen some solid wood "walking stick" / club-like "canes" at a show that looked pretty serious if one were to know how to use it. Supposedly legal in CA and "covered by the ADA" as "you can take it anywhere without anybody allowed to ask you about it"...

7. swank60

swank60

...and Patride will just resent your remark. When he was younger, his mom told him to shove a broom up his ass so he'd sweep while he walked (so he'd actually do something). He's a little touchy about 'walking sticks'.

8. wob

wob

9. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

They may "fashionable" but wouldn't you rather have one of these:

10. Josh83

Josh83

11. Cat Scan

Cat Scan

Yes, you are not alone. Had to go back to one since my knee was popping in and out worse than the Orion problem I keep hearing about!

I use the one sold at Walgreens that breaks down (not like a jeep) and has the elastic cord between the pieces. Fits nicely in the cruiser that way. Has a handle like the old Hurst shifters from the 70's. Let me know if you need the model no. etc.

And you can just forget about picking up chicks with the device or getting sympathy from them. They go a running.

As you probably know, using a cane in California is similar to putting a bullseye on your chest. Every rude rat ba#&*@d is going to step right in your way every time when you are walking down the aisle in the supermarket!

12. miked

miked

thanks for the replies.

just after i posted this, i lost my balance, fell sideways on my cane, and broke it!
    i kid you not.

now i have no choice but to get a new one. this time i think i will go for a fancy hiking pole.

--hey miked, whats that ya got in your hand there?

oh this? this is my new Nano Composite Evolution Carbon Graphite TrueFlex walking shaft. why...whu'd you think it was?

--can ya whack people with it?

hold on a sec... what was that last question again?

13. subzali

subzali

LEKI - a trekking pole company - makes some canes. Visit your local outdoor store.

14. patride71

patride71

gawd how can you be SO funny AND original? :rolleyes: