Best Boot for the Desert? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i beat a pair of vasque sundowners for 8 years through college and a beyond... they saw all 4 seasons in most every climate known to man. snow, mud, desert, and on and on. i opted for something lighter when the soles came detached, but if you're looking for all leather upper save up your cash and you won't be disappointed.

jp

I have a pair of these:
9340.gif
Rocky Revolvers

I though they were very gimicky when my brother bought them but after 3 -12 hour days of very steep & loose chukar hunting his feet were fine & mine were trashed in my conventional hunting boots. So I went ahead & picked up a pair.

They are the Fuel Injection of boots, you can tune them "on the fly" for whatever conditions you are in and can get far more pressure on the laces than with conventional laces for phenominal ankle support (great for long steep decents on loose terrain while carying 70+lbs). I've used them in all kinds of terrain and have yet to have one time (only 3-4 trips of total about 50 hours of hard use) where I regretted having them. They are a little warm in weather 85d+ with the 600g insullation but I've had them in weather around 0d in a foot of snow & my feet were comfortable the whole time.

I'm not sure how durable they are but are still in good condition. When they get too worn I'll go buy another pair at $160 without hessitation. I anticipate I'll get 4 or 5 seasons of chukar hunting (3-4 trips a season) & other misc stuff out of them no problem. I was worried about the cable failing while 3 or 4 hours from the truck but they are very well built & I carry standard laces to rig something together in case of failure. I don't think they would hold up to daily use but they are holding up much better than I had anticipated.

You guys can all laugh if you want but I'm sold on them :flipoff2:

I have a pair of Rocky's and like them very much. I tried the Danners, but the toe box is made like a cowboy boot, too narrow for my comfort. Mine are normal lace ups and have been very comfortable in various temperatures. I haven't hiked in them, but normal walking and standing they have been great. The boot laces are my only complaint, they are wore out and the rest of the boot and sole look like brand new.

Jack

I have a pair of Rocky's and like them very much. I tried the Danners, but the toe box is made like a cowboy boot, too narrow for my comfort. Mine are normal lace ups and have been very comfortable in various temperatures. I haven't hiked in them, but normal walking and standing they have been great. The boot laces are my only complaint, they are wore out and the rest of the boot and sole look like brand new.

Jack

Not to get to far OT but I noticed your snow boots on the last run. What kind are they and how do you like them?

Not to get to far OT but I noticed your snow boots on the last run. What kind are they and how do you like them?

Those are Lands End. They are nice for the mild stuff and are meant to be mild use boot. They are pretty warm and so far waterproof. They have an elastic draw string lace, which makes them handy when walking out to the mailbox. I have a set of Sorel's for the deep/cold stuff. Wow I'm starting to think I have a boot fetish. I have numerous pairs for different reasons.

Hi I'm Jack and I have a boot problem. (Group) Hi Jack.:D

Jack

The smokejumpers are very comfortable. They have so many different sizes/widths if they hurt your feet, it is your fault ;)

My experience was different a few years ago. I used their template, talked to the tech, and gave them half my check (around $400). Broke the boots in properly, wore them on project work and PT hikes, did my training rappells wearing them (helitack aka 'dope on a rope' wildland firefighter). Wore them on project fires, wore them a lot, and my lil feeties were never really happy.

Kept my first year engine slug $100 red wing irish setter boots as 'back-ups' and the day I washed off a blister from the dreaded White Bite after 4 days on a fire I started wearing my 'red' boots again. Felt like moccasins after wearing the whites, and I could still hike/ rappel/ fight fire. Much more comfortable to sleep in on the hillsides, or slip into if I racked out on flatter ground where I could take my boots off.

I've seen people happily pack-test in Whites, but they just don't work for me. Put them on again a few months ago for a thing I was going to, working the pedals in the 60 reminded me how ski- boot-stiff they are.

Go to any good outdoors store & tell them what you need, they'll point you in the right direction.

Gaiters & Whites? weren't yours tall enough already? :grinpimp:

Hi I'm Jack and I have a boot problem. (Group) Hi Jack.:D

Jack

Hi Jack, I'm a firefighter, and I've got 3 pair of wildland boots, a pair of bunker boots, my station boots, and Sorells. That's just for work.

Can we talk about gloves too? Oh, and how about packs? :lol:

My experience was different a few years ago. I used their template, talked to the tech, and gave them half my check (around $400). Broke the boots in properly, wore them on project work and PT hikes, did my training rappells wearing them (helitack aka 'dope on a rope' wildland firefighter). Wore them on project fires, wore them a lot, and my lil feeties were never really happy.

Kept my first year engine slug $100 red wing irish setter boots as 'back-ups' and the day I washed off a blister from the dreaded White Bite after 4 days on a fire I started wearing my 'red' boots again. Felt like moccasins after wearing the whites, and I could still hike/ rappel/ fight fire. Much more comfortable to sleep in on the hillsides, or slip into if I racked out on flatter ground where I could take my boots off.

I've seen people happily pack-test in Whites, but they just don't work for me. Put them on again a few months ago for a thing I was going to, working the pedals in the 60 reminded me how ski- boot-stiff they are.

Go to any good outdoors store & tell them what you need, they'll point you in the right direction.

Gaiters & Whites? weren't yours tall enough already? :grinpimp:

For snow use I wear a pair of Redwing pull on insulated boots that belonged to my Dad. I love them because one is a 12 and the other is an 11&1/2, I inherited that bit of wierdness from Pop ;) . I think Redwing is the only company that will sell you two different size boots, and one of the few that offer half sizes over 10&1/2.

No worries if that were your only problem. :flipoff2:

All you have to do is ask Darcie, just one of many. I counted 'em up and I have 10 pair of functional may/can wear at any time boots. I need help.:eek:

Jack

All you have to do is ask Darcie, just one of many. I counted 'em up and I have 10 pair of functional may/can wear at any time boots. I need help.:eek:

Jack

I don't think Joanne owns that many pairs of shoes*. You should get help.

*That she actually wears.

I don't think Joanne owns that many pairs of shoes*. You should get help.

*That she actually wears.

Darcie thinks I have a problem, you don't want to know how many shoes I have...I'm a total chick. :princess:

Jack

FTIW, I have not had good luck with any make of kangaroo boot. Mine did not hold up well to briars.

Best hiking boot I have had in the desert are Whites Smoke jumpers..

Also consider the West Coast Shoe Company boots... similar quality and construction, and when they wear out, ship them in, they rebuild replacing all except the vamp and tongue for half the cost of new boots. The leather is such good quality that they really breathe in hot weather. And a quality last, so they are not like wearing planks.

Vasque Sundowners are awesome... But only if you get the ones made in Italy and not China.

None of the hightops pictures look comfortable for desert hiking.. They look hot and the build looks questionable.

Go to your local REI and try on boots till you find one you like. Then buy them on-line cheaper.

HTH

Seth

Solid leather, no mesh/fabric. Prevents the prickly things from getting you.

Avoid gore-tex lined if you hike in high temperatures. They don't breath very well and get hot.

La Sportiva Makalu (3/4 steel insert) or Glaciers (1/2 steel insert). I swear by these. Minimal stitching and very durable uppers. I can use crampons when necessary. I epoxied all exposed seams while the boots were clean. I am a field geologist and get about two seasons on the soles (David Page Cobbler in Seattle for resoles). On the current pair (5 years), I have >500 work days of no trails working in the desert US west and Tibet. I have had the toe box enlarged, but other than that I love them.

Ross

Gotta agree. The fewer seams the better and in my opinion you can't beat a leather lining as well.

I have a pair of Limmer Mid-weights that after breaking in and having the toe enlarged are pretty sweet, resolable too.

http://www.limmerboot.com/Limmerswf.html

They cost a pretty penny but I tend to destroy boots and hate when stuff wears out.
Utahhike.jpg

Danners

I've used Danner's light hikers for 3 years and I'm wearing them right now. I'm on the 3rd resoling at $45/event. I've also logged several backpacking miles in the Sierra with no problemos.

if you have good ankles and don't care about brush, go with comfy low tops.

I use exclusivly: Lowa TempestII's (I have 3 pairs in rotation and 6 new pairs in reserve).

of course, I don't have a right ankle so to speak (broken into pieces sept 1986) but can hike 9 hours cross country pretty easy.

Desert hiking is 1st knowing how to avoid cholla + the buds, dance through shin daggers, and 'spin' through cat claw. Some complain about manzanita, but at least it does not bite. Don't vegitation rappel (grab bear grass and let hand slide).

...but of course your going to Moab which really has zero vegitation. Avoid crypto-biotic soil, step on small plants or rock to rock.

high tops, boots that don't breathe, or heavy boots are all things of the dark ages. You won't hit snow you'll need crampons for. Even in the Candian rockies, most people I know march in with street shoes and convert to boots for the climb, then back to street shoes.

rick
desert inhabitant since 1983,
tucson, az

Well a little late to this thread. I've had my boots since 1977 and they still kick. They are Galibier Super Guides. They have been used in the desert (they are hot) to carrying a 60 pound pack at 11000 feet for 30 miles. They are the best boots I have ever owned. They are indestructible. From what I have researched these would be the modern equivalent: Asolo's Annapurna; La Sportiva's Makalu; Montrail's Mazama; Boreal Bulnes or Salomon's SM Expert.

if you have good ankles and don't care about brush, go with comfy low tops.

...but of course your going to Moab which really has zero vegitation. Avoid crypto-biotic soil, step on small plants or rock to rock.

high tops, boots that don't breathe, or heavy boots are all things of the dark ages. s.

rick
desert inhabitant since 1983,
tucson, az

The boots I wear, go just over the ankle. I have never twisted my ankles, they are kind of "double jointed" so while I have stepped wrong and had them roll bad, I have never had a problem.

I don't like low top "athletic shoe" height shoes, because I hate when dirt gets into my shoes. I don't always go where it's a hard packed foot path.

Just remember no matter how much you paid for them, if they are heavy, don't fit right or are uncomfortable, you won't wear them.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom