Best axle for swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
67 Land Cruiser with a Chevy 283. What would be the best axles to swap front and rear that already have disc brakes?

A 76 or later FJ40 frt end and adapt monte carlo disc brakes on the rear axle. Its tried and true. Look in FAQ's at the top of this FJ40 section.

Mini truck front outer stuff will swap to the 40 front and then do the rears as suggested above, mind that you research the brackets you use in the rear so they don't put the caliper bolt right behind the leaf spring, its a headache to drop the leaf pack to take the caliper off. Unless you find late model fj40 axles with discs there are not any axles with the right width and offset rear that will bolt in.

Mini truck front outer stuff will swap to the 40 front and then do the rears as suggested above, mind that you research the brackets you use in the rear so they don't put the caliper bolt right behind the leaf spring, its a headache to drop the leaf pack to take the caliper off. Unless you find late model fj40 axles with discs there are not any axles with the right width and offset rear that will bolt in.
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I guess I'll have to hunt for a 76 or later front axle.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. I guess I'll have to hunt for a 76 or later front axle.
Someone had been talking to me about Dana 60's for Ford 9" but those seem like a bit of work to get right.

Dana 60 is great for a hard core rock crawler, but overkill if you just want to upgrade for safety & reliability. A Ford 9" means a completely custom front axle $$$$. Both are a lot more work than swapping outers from a mini-truck or FJ60.

Do the front axle first and then decide if you really need rear disks. Maintained rear drums are fine for most uses on a basically stock 40.

Keep in mind your 67 will have coarse spline inner axle shafts. Would replace the whole rear axle before the disc brake install.

Go to FAQ's at the top of this section and scroll down to frt axle and read the 1st 2 threads and learn about small and large pattern knuckles and short and long birfields. You should look for disc brake conversion in the rear axle section too.

It is alr3ady ruined with a Chevy engine. Put a 60 series under it. But if you are going to smash on it put tons and call it. Send me your replaced junk.

It is alr3ady ruined with a Chevy engine. Put a 60 series under it. But if you are going to smash on it put tons and call it. Send me your replaced junk.
Just because you are a purist does not mean it’s ruined that’s your opinion and really he did not ask for that so you just had to be a keyboard commando and make a nube think all of us are jerks

I didnt see a single mention from the OP of his intended use of the vehicle which is going to 100% dictate the answer to his question as to what are the “best” axles

IE, how many sq ft should my new house have

Last edited:

Nice, but I don't think his suspension and frame could handle the weight. :)

If you're using a stock t-case you'll want an offset diff. It's not a must but your u-joints will appreciate it.
It you are running some other drivetrain like an Atlas or Dana 300, late 90s Isuzu troopers have about the same width axle with
disc rears over a drum parking brake like the FJ80. They also have the same wheel lug pattern, same ring gear and axle shaft diameter.
The front will work best (economically) with cruiser parts. Your spring perches are already placed and the width is determined.
If you're going to run 37s and larger you might want to look at matched Dana 60s but that won't be terribly cheap especially once
you address lockers

Just because you are a purist does not mean it’s ruined that’s your opinion and really he did not ask for that so you just had to be a keyboard commando and make a nube think all of us are jerks
Not a purist. I just don't like Chevy swaps.

but your center of gravity would drop so much 45 degree sidehills would be a breeze
Sorry for not getting back sooner, been a rough week. Addressing a question from earlier in the thread....I'm not 100% on how I'll be using it, it will go off road on occasion but primarily driven on road. As far as the 283....well, it came that way so....
Not a purist. I just don't like Chevy swaps.

If you're using a stock t-case you'll want an offset diff. It's not a must but your u-joints will appreciate it.
It you are running some other drivetrain like an Atlas or Dana 300, late 90s Isuzu troopers have about the same width axle with
disc rears over a drum parking brake like the FJ80. They also have the same wheel lug pattern, same ring gear and axle shaft diameter.
The front will work best (economically) with cruiser parts. Your spring perches are already placed and the width is determined.
If you're going to run 37s and larger you might want to look at matched Dana 60s but that won't be terribly cheap especially once
you address lockers
Appreciate the response. I'm not completely sure where I want to go with this other than I want to get it on the road. It sat at a family members house for about the last 8 years or so not running until one day recently where the family member said it's yours, get it out of my yard. I really just want to get it running and use it thru the winter before I get to a point where I physically have the room to completely blow it apart and rebuild/restore it the right way. With that in mind I want whatever I do now to blend into what I do in the future. As of now both front axle corners need to be rebuilt, all 8 wheel cylinders are blown and it's suffering from other expected ills from sitting so long. I've contemplated simply getting front and rear disc conversion kits but not cheap. So just looking for the right direction to head to get it on the road for now.

90” wms!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom