Best Apple Carplay radio for 98 LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any off alternatives to the stock Apple music app? (which I agree sucks)
I mainly just use Spotify and YouTube. And then the stock podcast app for podscasts. I don’t know if there are alternatives if you also want to listen to your iTunes library, but I haven’t looked.

I have a Sony XAV-AX1000 (similar to the XAV-AX100) in my '99 LX, and it looks like Best Buy has it in stock. I really like having the physical button, and so far I've had no major issues using it. Primary use has been Apple CarPlay for music (Spotify), phone calls, nav (apple and Google maps), etc. Biggest complaint is the resistive touch screen, which tends to wash out in direct sunlight and doesn't handle glare well. Its not a deal breaker, but if I were to do it again I'd look for a capacitive screen (more expensive but less prone to glare).

If you have the Nakamichi unit in your LX its a bit of a pain to install a new head unit since there aren't pre-made wire harnesses out there, but there's some great threads on here that walk you through it.
I'm going to buy the sony xav-ax1000 from best buy. Where did you pickup your wiring harness?

I'm going to buy the sony xav-ax1000 from best buy. Where did you pickup your wiring harness?
Unfortunately for the Nakamichi units there isn't one out there (at least as of last Dec/Jan when I did mine). You have to either directly cut and splice the wires, or make your own harness. I made my own so that I could keep the factory connector in place. There's a few good write-ups here that I followed to make the harness, this one was the most helpful:

Unfortunately for the Nakamichi units there isn't one out there (at least as of last Dec/Jan when I did mine). You have to either directly cut and splice the wires, or make your own harness. I made my own so that I could keep the factory connector in place. There's a few good write-ups here that I followed to make the harness, this one was the most helpful:

I've got a 99 Cruiser and the PO added a Pioneer I'd like to replace. I haven't opened it up yet to see what's back there.

I've got a 99 Cruiser and the PO added a Pioneer I'd like to replace. I haven't opened it up yet to see what's back there.
The '99 Land Cruiser has a harness available most places, that should make your life easier. The "premium" audio that came on the early 100 series LXs is what these threads are covering

I just installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 in my 99 LX and just cut the old harness plug off and and wired up to the new harness.. If you already have an aftermarket radio then it should be simple to replace with a different radio. The wire colors are all the same on aftermarket radios so you just have to match them up. I love my CarPlay radio and front side USB port!

I want to bump this topic as I am in need of an Apple CarPlay unit for my 2000 LC.

I don’t mind plugging the phone into a dedicated outlet as I’ll want to power it anyways!

From my old understanding is it still the case that plugged in will always be faster and more responsive than wireless?
I know there are a few bottlenecks though in the processor speed of the phone and unit right?

The ability to run a backup camera is a must and CarPlay really… I’m not overly concerned with a CD player and don’t need an XM type connection either.

Oh before I forget the volume knob is the top priority!

Lastly are you guys all removing the old amp? And what are you doing about the sub in the back?

TIA,
GB

I want to bump this topic as I am in need of an Apple CarPlay unit for my 2000 LC.

I don’t mind plugging the phone into a dedicated outlet as I’ll want to power it anyways!

From my old understanding is it still the case that plugged in will always be faster and more responsive than wireless?
I know there are a few bottlenecks though in the processor speed of the phone and unit right?

The ability to run a backup camera is a must and CarPlay really… I’m not overly concerned with a CD player and don’t need an XM type connection either.

Oh before I forget the volume knob is the top priority!

Lastly are you guys all removing the old amp? And what are you doing about the sub in the back?

TIA,
GB
I had a car stereo shop do my install, so I’m not able to answer all of your questions. From what they told me though it should still be running off the stock amp and still connected to the rear sub.

I haven’t kept up with more recent units, but when I was looking, the Sony deck a few of us have installed seemed to be the only one with a dedicated volume knob. They should all hopefully have an input for a backup camera.

I have almost been contemplating getting a new unit with 4 camera inputs and installing 2 or three cameras in the front bumper to use as an off-road camera. Probably overkill, but after driving a friends new jeep with the trail cam it seemed pretty handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom