Best Apple Carplay radio for 98 LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of looking for a new head unit that has Apple Carplay. I looked on Crutchfield and most of their stock is sold out. My budget would be around $500. Is there any other companies/websites I can purchase from? Also any input on which brand to go with and your reviews and pics on your current head unit??

Couple different threads on stereos with different features, but yeah stock is a problem with lots of stuff right now.
Current setup for me and has been great is using a JOYING Auto 7" Double Din unit with their AHD backup camera. Got the metra harnesses from Crutchfield and has been an awesome little unit since.

All supply chains in car audio industry have been disrupted due to a fire that completely destroyed a chip making factory that supplies all the major brands.
I am pulling out my Alpine ilx-w650 in the next few days and willing to part with it. It has Carplay and works wonderful. Pm if interested.

I picked the Sony XAV-AX100 due to it having a manual knob, and obviously CarPlay. My 98 LX doesn’t have steering wheel controls so that manual knob was a hard requirement. The screen is a little small comparatively to other units but I’ve never had a hard time reading it.

I picked the Sony XAV-AX100 due to it having a manual knob, and obviously CarPlay. My 98 LX doesn’t have steering wheel controls so that manual knob was a hard requirement. The screen is a little small comparatively to other units but I’ve never had a hard time reading it.
I am using the same unit in my 2000 lx470. I’m sure there are nicer units out there but the price and functionality were perfect for me.

I'm shopping (waiting) for a double din CarPlay recover too. Like @MechE30 mentioned, the manual knob is on my short list of features. Also, NO CD player.

This project is on the back burner 'til the world's economy/supply chain settles down little. In meantime, I'm going to build a deck. Oh... wait.

I like my Pioneer NEX with back up camera a lot. I got the 8500 series as a discounted refurb model last winter. They've moved to a newer series now I think. Some in the 4000-series still have wireless CarPlay but fewer other features. Should fit your budget though.

I have wireless CarPlay in my 100. It's definitely cool... for short trips. But I typically plug the phone in for power anyway. I'd trade the wireless function for a glitchless system any day.

Can do both with the Pioneer. Wired or wireless.

Not all Pioneers are wireless though. I love the wireless function, but it’s not worth the loss of an actual volume knob on some models. My NEX 46xx is glitchy as hell. Weird stuff like latching onto Bluetooth and automatically playing the first alphabetical song in my iTunes every time I get in the car. It matters not that I have never ever selected Bluetooth audio even once or that I was listening to the radio or Spotify the last time I turned off the car... Every new start it’s Aces High via Bluetooth until I choose something else.

Not all Pioneers are wireless though. I love the wireless function, but it’s not worth the loss of an actual volume knob on some models. My NEX 46xx is glitchy as hell. Weird stuff like latching onto Bluetooth and automatically playing the first alphabetical song in my iTunes every time I get in the car. It matters not that I have never ever selected Bluetooth audio even once or that I was listening to the radio or Spotify the last time I turned off the car... Every new start it’s Aces High via Bluetooth until I choose something else.
It’s like a walk up song for your car. Sweet!

I need to buy a new stereo to replace the failed Nakamichi. I like the simplicity of knobs and not having to look at the radio to change settings while driving.

Another vote for the Sony XAV-AX100.
Cost circa $250 on amazon.

I have a Sony XAV-AX1000 (similar to the XAV-AX100) in my '99 LX, and it looks like Best Buy has it in stock. I really like having the physical button, and so far I've had no major issues using it. Primary use has been Apple CarPlay for music (Spotify), phone calls, nav (apple and Google maps), etc. Biggest complaint is the resistive touch screen, which tends to wash out in direct sunlight and doesn't handle glare well. Its not a deal breaker, but if I were to do it again I'd look for a capacitive screen (more expensive but less prone to glare).

If you have the Nakamichi unit in your LX its a bit of a pain to install a new head unit since there aren't pre-made wire harnesses out there, but there's some great threads on here that walk you through it.

I have the Sony XAV-AX100 in a 2000 LC and it works great. I bypassed the stock amp and put a wired USB plug in place of the stock cig lighter. Sony can connect wired or wirelessly and it just connects right to the phone everytime. Would highly recommend.

I'm also going with the Sony... just as soon as it's available. Really looking forward to 2023 ;)

no they don’t all have wireless, that’s why I mentioned the 4xxx and up series.

The alphabetical song issue is an Apple problem. My BMWs OEM system does the same. After a period of time iOS conveniently forgets that you were listening to Spotify or podcasts and just loads the first iTunes song. I hear “ABC” by the Jackson 5 so damn much.

no they don’t all have wireless, that’s why I mentioned the 4xxx and up series.

The alphabetical song issue is an Apple problem. My BMWs OEM system does the same. After a period of time iOS conveniently forgets that you were listening to Spotify or podcasts and just loads the first iTunes song. I hear “ABC” by the Jackson 5 so damn much.
I ended up deleting the music app for this reason. Realized all of my listening was from streaming services anyway and Apple Music wasn’t one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom