Best and better tune up tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently replaced my timing chain and readjusted the timing per oem spec. (1987 efi, 4cyl,auto) I installed the jumper wire (what does this achieve or do??) per instruction on the hood decal and set timing to 5 deg BTDC. I tried to adjust the idle speed as close to 750rpm as poss. via oem tach (my tach and dwell unit was DOA). After the timing was adjusted I pulled the jumper and reset my idle as it was a little off.

What more can be done to fine tune this engine? I've adjusted the lifters as best I could, plugs, cap, wires have few miles on them and I checked them all out-ok
I've got a slight miss in the engine from time to time and often when its cold it stumbles at idle. I've been told to shoot carb cleaner up in the intake and clean around a bypass thing in there. I'm not sure where this is and what it does.
I use lucas FI cleaner in every other tank full and try to keep her as clean as possible. What else could I do to improve upon my techniques and get rid of the miss.

btw- I did the valve lash after a good long drive (to heat it up), right before I pulled the timing chain. most all of the adjustment required additional lash and NOT tightening. this is the opposite of what I expected. Why?

I just recently replaced my timing chain and readjusted the timing per oem spec. (1987 efi, 4cyl,auto) I installed the jumper wire (what does this achieve or do??) per instruction on the hood decal and set timing to 5 deg BTDC. I tried to adjust the idle speed as close to 750rpm as poss. via oem tach (my tach and dwell unit was DOA). After the timing was adjusted I pulled the jumper and reset my idle as it was a little off.

What more can be done to fine tune this engine? I've adjusted the lifters as best I could, plugs, cap, wires have few miles on them and I checked them all out-ok
I've got a slight miss in the engine from time to time and often when its cold it stumbles at idle. I've been told to shoot carb cleaner up in the intake and clean around a bypass thing in there. I'm not sure where this is and what it does.
I use lucas FI cleaner in every other tank full and try to keep her as clean as possible. What else could I do to improve upon my techniques and get rid of the miss.

btw- I did the valve lash after a good long drive (to heat it up), right before I pulled the timing chain. most all of the adjustment required additional lash and NOT tightening. this is the opposite of what I expected. Why?

Sometimes, too clean can be bad.

As for the lash, PO mistake, but ive seen weirder things happen

Yeah, I've kind of figured PO on the lash. I'm sure it was set cold rather than hot.

most times it is the plug wires. have also had probs with coils on other rigs, but not toys.

the only thing that ever made a diff on my second gen, was goin back to NGK, and adding the MSD 7 mm wires. (dont fit in the the holders, oh well)

I think you have a cold start injector on that. electrical connection on the cowl. pull it, check for gum.
if its gummy, you should add some fuel line cleaner. if it's dry and varnished, clean w BRASS brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom