Best all around wheel size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 15" wheels that came on my cruiser (obviously not original) come so close to my tie rod ends that they slowly eat them away. The wheels are also aluminum, which has led to loose lugs and continues to makes me nervous (a wheel fell off on the hwy a year ago).

Is there a good range of wheel sizes or models I should look at? I don't care if they are original or not.

IMO the best way to get rid of wheel rubbing TRE´s is power steering. It eliminates the rod behind drivers side front tire(exept Mini truck PS).

Shameless, theres a thread on this. Basicaly you don't want a wheel with anymore backspacing than 3 1/2. You could always buy some wheel spacers. All pro offroad and alot of other places sell them.

I was told that spacers wouldn't be a great idea on my wheels (perhaps cause they are alum?).

Power steering, eh? Sounds like a big deal...

Had that problem too. Changed to wheels with different backspace and problem solved. theferg said he wants to sell his spacers now that he has custom backspace wheels. Send him a PM if you are interested.

If yours are rubbing where mine did the power steering won't cure that particular problem but it will make a huge improvement in the driveability of your rig. One of the best mods that can be done to a cruiser.

If you are SOA you could just change out your steering arms to relocate your tie-rod above and behind the axle. The arms are available from 4x4 labs.

Power steering doesn't increase the numb or slop factor? What is the consensus best kit?

No, I'm still traditional SUA ;)

PS won't make a lick of difference....

Backspacing is the key....3.5 is the correct number, however Alum rims, because of their design, sometimes require more than that. Also, lug nuts on Alum rims should be torqued weekly for the first month, then they should stay tight.

Try a 1/4" alum spacer...just make sure you have sufficient lug threads to keep things on there. Next step is a set of 3/4" spacers from AllPro or someone. No reason those should cause additional issues.

I guess I don't know what backspacing is ;)

Well I'll take a look at the 1/4" spacers then, should give me enough room so I'm not constantly replacing tie rod ends.

Thanks!

[quote author=shameless link=board=1;threadid=9155;start=msg79701#msg79701 date=1072222818]
I guess I don't know what backspacing is ;)

Well I'll take a look at the 1/4" spacers then, should give me enough room so I'm not constantly replacing tie rod ends.

Thanks!
[/quote]

also find "ET nut " lug nuts that have a short lug centric shank that gives you more thread to hold on the wheels most alum wheels are thick and the studs are kinda short already...americe eagle 0589 and 0639 are 3 1/4 in the 15x8 size LOTS of room

A lot of these wheel problems can be solved by going to a 16 inch rim. I run them and what a difference in tolerences to brake drums, tie-rods, wheel weights, etc.

But if I went to other rims, does anyone have recommendations? Aside from stock...

Go down to 4-Wheel Parts Wholesalers and order you some black rock crawler rims with 3.5" backspace. They are about $50 each if I remember correctly.

I'll be doing this when I go to 4" lift and 33x12.50 tires.

Check the archives for more info and maybe a part number for the rock crawlers from 4WPW. This has been discussed a lot on several LC forums.

Jody.

[quote author=shameless link=board=1;threadid=9155;start=msg79701#msg79701 date=1072222818]
I guess I don't know what backspacing is ;)[/quote]

Lay your wheel face down on the floor, lay a straigtedge across the rim (not the tire) and measure the distance down to the back of the hub. :)

The rock crawlers look like a good option. I am also thinking I'll go narrower on the wheel/tire combo - should help with the low speed wheel cranking (no PS) and tracking, right?

What do you think, the 15x8s or the 16x8s? Nice prices.

Well, now if you're talking going to 33x9.50's for easier steering... You can run stock FJ40 wheels like I do. They are 5.5" wide and my Kelly-Springfield Safari MSR's in 33x9.50 do VERY well on them.

AND!!! Stock wheels can be picked up pretty cheap most of the time.

Jody.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=9155;start=msg79694#msg79694 date=1072221726]
PS won't make a lick of difference....

[/quote]

Sorry, I didn´t read the question well enough. I was thinking about the TIRE rubbing that tie rod end(?) which is at the end of that rod behind the tire. Also sorry about my english, I don´t remember what all parts are in english. :-[
Merry christmas anyway... :cheers:

[quote author=Paul_A link=board=1;threadid=9155;start=msg79895#msg79895 date=1072273792]
A lot of these wheel problems can be solved by going to a 16 inch rim. I run them and what a difference in tolerences to brake drums, tie-rods, wheel weights, etc. [/quote]
It also gives a higher load rating but ups the price of the tires. I prefer the 15" wheels for bigger tire choice.

I had the same issue, with my mis-ordered (not my fault) 3.75" BS black rock crawlers. 1/4" alum spacer fixed it.
The most bad ass wheel IMO is a stocker w/hubcaps widened to 8" pricey though

[quote author=Outback link=board=1;threadid=9155;start=msg79947#msg79947 date=1072282150]
Go down to 4-Wheel Parts Wholesalers and order you some black rock crawler rims with 3.5" backspace. They are about $50 each if I remember correctly.

I'll be doing this when I go to 4" lift and 33x12.50 tires.

Check the archives for more info and maybe a part number for the rock crawlers from 4WPW. This has been discussed a lot on several LC forums.

Jody.
[/quote]

Danger Danger Danger. The 4WPW wheels have the 3.5 inch backspacing you need, but because of the shape of the spokes, they will rub the caliper on some disc brake cruisers. This problem is indpendent of backspacing.

I just went through this, and ended up grinding the calipers to make the 4WPW wheels fit. Others have used spacers. Others have used wheels from FJ60.com. Others have ordered custom backspaced wheels from US wheel that have a "flat spoke" (but these come bare and must be painted or powder coated.

In the last few months there have been several long threads on the issue, I suggest you do an archive search.

Jared

I found one of those threads for you
https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=7546

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom