Best AHC replacement Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reviewing the condition of my AHC system I have come to the conclusion to replace it in its entirety with a good old fashion springs and shocks, vs trying to repair it a piece at a time. Im looking for recommendations on the best brands and ways to source the parts for the swap. Any personal experience with what brands of parts or kits that have worked well would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking at the OME medium kit from Slee among others, I have been happy with OME brand suspension parts on my pathfinder. Im not wanting alot of lift, just a little over stock would be fine as this is also a long distance vacation hauler as well as wanting to do easy Alpine Loop style trails. Thanks for any suggestions!

There are a lot of options out there as well as many threads on the subject. Interestingly enough, I took my rig for some routine maintenance yesterday and my mechanic showed me that my shocks are leaking. He suggested to replace them ($1400 parts and labor) so now I am in the same boat as you. I’ve been wanting to upgrade the suspension and now seems like the time to do it.

The OME kits seem to get mixed reviews because the OME shocks are harsh. The Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks seem to be a solid option that’s more budget friendly.

For me, I want a setup that will retain the comfort (partially, at least) of the AHC, but offer solid off road performance. I don’t know if adjustable shocks are the best option for me. There are some nice ones with external resovoirs (Radflo, King, Icon), but those are $$$. To be honest, this is all a bit overwhelming lol.

So I wonder if its best to do this in a piecemeal approach or try to find a complete kit. These things certainly ride smooth stock, really dont want to get too far away from that.

I wonder with an lx if 865 springs with OEM Toyota shocks might be the way to go to get a little lift but hold on to stock ride. Maybe OEM torsion bars or some aftermarket ome or something similar. Having looked at suspension options for my LC I've decided to stick with Toyota OEM shocks for best bang for the buck with the offroading I do. I have 865s in my garage waiting for spring along with some adjusting of the torsion bars.

There are a lot of options out there as well as many threads on the subject. Interestingly enough, I took my rig for some routine maintenance yesterday and my mechanic showed me that my shocks are leaking. He suggested to replace them ($1400 parts and labor) so now I am in the same boat as you.

Yikes! OEM shocks are what? About $40 a corner? So around $1,240 in labor? Ouch! Unless of course that's springs and torsion bars included.

I believe 40 each is LC shocks. Thinking the LX shocks to go with ahc are a different animal.

Yikes to me! Who knew they were that expensive? Cheapest fronts I could find online were $173 per. Ouch is right! Glad I have an LC now.

...Interestingly enough, I took my rig for some routine maintenance yesterday and my mechanic showed me that my shocks are leaking. He suggested to replace them ($1400 parts and labor) so now I am in the same boat as you...
Are they just seeping, or actively leaking pools of fluid on the ground? Seeping shock actuators are no cause for concern. It's most likely a symptom of higher than normal AHC pressures. Did the mechanic take any AHC pressure readings?

Maybe your best bet would be to contact one of the vendors here. Kurt (@cruiseroutfit) at Cruiser Outfitters can help you through the different suspension options, as can Jason @TRAIL TAILOR. Try to know what you're looking for beforehand—like what type of use for your truck (street, forest roads, serious off-road, never loaded, loaded heavy, mild lift, higher lift, etc.), they'll help you tailor the components they sell to your specific use case.

My LX has an OME suspension, and it's definitely not as luxe as a properly-functioning AHC. But I knew that going in, and I'm OK with it (at least until I save money for better shocks!).

Yikes! OEM shocks are what? About $40 a corner? So around $1,240 in labor? Ouch! Unless of course that's springs and torsion bars included.
Yikes to me! Who knew they were that expensive? Cheapest fronts I could find online were $173 per. Ouch is right! Glad I have an LC now.

Yea, it looks like they're $175-$195 per. So $700-$800 in parts and $600 in labor (including alignment). The labor costs probably aren't the cheapest, but I also don't think it's highway robbery. Shops in my area also seem to be more expensive as well, probably because of the location. My guys are very honest, I think, and have always done right by me.

Are they just seeping, or actively leaking pools of fluid on the ground? Seeping shock actuators are no cause for concern. It's most likely a symptom of higher than normal AHC pressures. Did the mechanic take any AHC pressure readings?

Just seeping, I think. There definitely are no pools of fluid on the ground. After my shop told me this, I did a bit of research and what I found is basically what you said. I do not think they took any readings. If they did, what should I be looking for?

They said that the fronts were not too bad, but the rears were in worse condition and that the passenger side rear was blown. Just from driving, I do not feel anything strange.

Here are some pics that they took:

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

Here’s an image of how Toyota classifies shock leakage, obviously this isn’t specific to AHC actuators but it’s still relevant. Your actuator “leakage” appears absolutely fine, great shape. I’d get on top of any delayed maintenance such as fluid changes and correcting neutral pressures (which usually curtails weeping) and enjoy the ride. Wait to change out the system to conventional when it’s beyond your economic repair threshold or your changed needs justify it.

8DCC3F4B-18AB-475A-B5AE-AE7F34257423.png

Some folks say the OME suspension is "harsh" but that definitely depends on who you ask and what you like. Personally, with OME 2.5" and the heavies in the back (i forget the spring number) rear bumper, and loaded drawers, I think it feels perfect. Sporty, well damped, I enjoy it.

My suggestion is and always will be, to remove the AHC... I've seen it ruin too many trips. Personally I think it takes too much effort and money to maintain the system. My OME suspension requires zero maintenance.

Some folks say the OME suspension is "harsh" but that definitely depends on who you ask and what you like. Personally, with OME 2.5" and the heavies in the back (i forget the spring number) rear bumper, and loaded drawers, I think it feels perfect. Sporty, well damped, I enjoy it.

My suggestion is and always will be, to remove the AHC... I've seen it ruin too many trips. Personally I think it takes too much effort and money to maintain the system. My OME suspension requires zero maintenance.

^^^This is spot on

The OME system is very load specific. Even the lighter OME kit rides slightly harsh with no additional weight. A bumper and winch help, but you really need roof and rear weight to balance them out.

For your needs, you might look to rehabbing the AHC since you probably only need new globes (which is cheaper than a full suspension makeover). This would give you the great ride and also allow you the raise the vehicle for light off roading needs (maybe couple this with a $50 Slee ACH lift). Or, maybe switch to the LC OEM setup using the $40 OEM LC shocks. You should be able to locate used torsion bars and springs easily, or even order new ones for a decent investment. The biggest cost going this route would be labor, but you could probably do it yourself.

@Wesley Crusher if the parts quote are for OEM shocks that's a bit ridiculous. Even with every single piece of mounting hardware you can probably find 4 OEM shocks for $350 total. Labor quote with the alignment doesn't seem to far off given your location.

@Wesley Crusher if the parts quote are for OEM shocks that's a bit ridiculous. Even with every single piece of mounting hardware you can probably find 4 OEM shocks for $350 total. Labor quote with the alignment doesn't seem to far off given your location.

These aren't LC shocks, these are the AHC "shocks" they are around $170 each

The shocks leaking is another poster. On mine its a rusted through line between Accumulator/globes and rear shock. When I inspected the rest of the system all four of lines to shocks look to rust through at any moment and the Accumulators/globes are so rusty its unlikely I can even get the lines threaded out to replace. I feel to get this reliable it would easily entail replacing all 4 lines at $350 each and a good chance of replacing all four accumulators/globes at $750 and possible the shocks if I cant get the rusted on lines off. I would rather have the piece of mind of a conventional suspension, for less cost. The rest of the truck is in really good condition, the AHC system has taken the brunt of the corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom