Best Aftermarket headLights For Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, seeing this post reminds me to ask about the upgrade wireing harness mentioned here.
I am running hella lenses with h-4 bulbs, I think they are 80/100 if I remember. Anyway, they have always dimmed and brightened with the engine rpms until up to speed. What is the best way to correct this/
Thanks, Rob.

So, seeing this post reminds me to ask about the upgrade wireing harness mentioned here.
I am running hella lenses with h-4 bulbs, I think they are 80/100 if I remember. Anyway, they have always dimmed and brightened with the engine rpms until up to speed. What is the best way to correct this/
Thanks, Rob.

1) Wire the headlights straight to the battery, using heavy-gauge wire and using a relay to turn the lights on and off.

2) Install a high-output alternator, that will put out more amps at lower rpm.

I added a set of Round Eyes and they gave me a HUGE jump in lighting up front. I am a HUGE fan of good lights, both for seeing at night and being seen. Plug and play... 15 minute install max.

Anyone have an updated opinion? So many new decent priced LED.
I just finished putting City Racer's in my 40 and LOVE them. Due back in stock in December, LINK .

Going on almost 4 years with the City Racer LED headlights, very satisfied with my purchase. @Racer65

I've only had them since September, but (so far) I've been very happy with these:
Amazon product ASIN B01B376YOE
They were not a direct bolt on. Although they didn't require any changes to the wiring, I did have to do 10 minutes of work with the Dremel to get them to fit. I aimed the center of the "hot spot" 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" below center at 15' back from the wall. Up to now, I haven't had anyone flash their lights at me. I could probably aim them up a bit, but I don't feel the need to. They provide enough light that I feel comfortable (ie not out-driving the lights or the brakes) driving at 40-45 mph on the mountain roads and up to 65 mph on the highways with the low beams. With high beams, I'd feel comfortable driving as fast as I want to go, which is generally not much over 70 in my 40. They have a nice spill to either side that lights up the ditch and gives you confidence in corners. The light has a touch of blue tint, which I don't love, but it's not as blue as others I've seen and really only bothers me when I'm pulling into my driveway with the light on my white garage doors. I haven't experienced any flashing or pulsing up to now and I haven't experienced any moisture inside the lenses, both of which seem to be common complains with these sorts of lights.

Overall, I'm very happy. If they give out after 2 years I'll still be happy, based on the price. If they last 3 or more years, I'll be tickled pink.

edit: I got them for $72. I see that they are now listed at $90. They're probably worth $90, but wait for a sale if you can.

I also prefer halogen on any of my older builds. You just have to have them wired properly to get the maximum output. This is the relay block I put together for my 40. I’m using the same Hella H4 E-codes ive used for years on builds.

1555A26D-00FA-48FE-9634-F8B9DC080747.jpeg

C3737F78-7F6E-4E31-84BC-B8AF0BF12541.jpeg

The JW Speakers are awesome but spendy.

Everyone should buy the OEM H4 light kit/harness for $45 bucks shipped in the US. wiring/relays, harness, housing, bulbs
Absolute steal and from Toyota.

81110-60P70

wow had no idea, that is an incredible deal!

@ratpin where do you get the wire loom? Is it the type with a split down the middle or does it fit after the connections are on? Clean work!

@ratpin where do you get the wire loom? Is it the type with a split down the middle or does it fit after the connections are on? Clean work!

thanks. It has a split seam in it, but it has a 30% or so overlap and IMO its much better than the split plastic loom because it does not have the chance of holding moisture.

A308B81A-D6F1-4EEA-B95E-E93A1E9C6440.jpeg

I have taken an different path ....

i took the Top of Line H4 Base Kit on the market today , all 100% JIS glass , no plastic to scratch or fade cloudy over age and time ........

I equipped them with the with highest Performance LED H4 kit i could source globally , the Diodes are encased in O-ring sealed

Glass tubes and are both shock proof and water proof ..........

i wanted to plot a new path and i had a vision , a pipe dream i turned into simply a Bliss reality ........

Exclusively , i hand build and assemble each kit in house , and bench test both high beam and low beam functions ...

i then align the Diodes in Sync with the KOITO Light House Glass JIS Design features ........

All the vertical lines or casting features are not there just for looks or by accident .......

note : there is nothing at super bright LED that comes even close ,,,,,,,,

1 last note , my heat syncs are super compact and fit will with room to spare in the early 40 series solid head light buckets .....

this is my take and my version designed and assembled proudly with indeed some trade craft in my Skunk-Works Lab , to mesh in mechanical harmony , along with a full healthy respect to oncoming traffic......🙂

note; I wear prescription eye wear , and have a mild astigmatism in my left eye , i Have simply NEVER seen the road at night the same since , i then installed the exact H4 Kits in out family Fleet of Tundras and Pre-Runner ........

A_LI - Copy.jpg

1605939829942.png

1605939902951.png

1605939966158.png

1605940072760.png

Last edited:
I've only had them since September, but (so far) I've been very happy with these:
Amazon product ASIN B01B376YOE
They were not a direct bolt on. Although they didn't require any changes to the wiring, I did have to do 10 minutes of work with the Dremel to get them to fit. I aimed the center of the "hot spot" 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" below center at 15' back from the wall. Up to now, I haven't had anyone flash their lights at me. I could probably aim them up a bit, but I don't feel the need to. They provide enough light that I feel comfortable (ie not out-driving the lights or the brakes) driving at 40-45 mph on the mountain roads and up to 65 mph on the highways with the low beams. With high beams, I'd feel comfortable driving as fast as I want to go, which is generally not much over 70 in my 40. They have a nice spill to either side that lights up the ditch and gives you confidence in corners. The light has a touch of blue tint, which I don't love, but it's not as blue as others I've seen and really only bothers me when I'm pulling into my driveway with the light on my white garage doors. I haven't experienced any flashing or pulsing up to now and I haven't experienced any moisture inside the lenses, both of which seem to be common complains with these sorts of lights.

Overall, I'm very happy. If they give out after 2 years I'll still be happy, based on the price. If they last 3 or more years, I'll be tickled pink.

edit: I got them for $72. I see that they are now listed at $90. They're probably worth $90, but wait for a sale if you can.
I wonder of a 4300K light would fix the bluish tint you mentioned? I've got some LED pods on my roof rack, which do a fantastic job of lighting up the countryside, but the reflected color is weird. I want a warmer light for driving with, and was thinking one of the 7" LED 4300K lights listed for Jeeps might be the way to go.

Wanted to see if any of the wiring experts out there could help me. Got some of these led headlights from @Racer65 but can't get them to work. Replacing sealed beam halogens that work just fine. If i install both of the new led lights, neither come on. If I have one of the old lights and one of the new lights installed, the low beams work on the led but not the high beams. I have tested the connectors and have 12.5v at the high and low beam wires when appropriate. Does anyone have any other ideas what might be going on? Thanks in advance

Wanted to see if any of the wiring experts out there could help me. Got some of these led headlights from @Racer65 but can't get them to work. Replacing sealed beam halogens that work just fine. If i install both of the new led lights, neither come on. If I have one of the old lights and one of the new lights installed, the low beams work on the led but not the high beams. I have tested the connectors and have 12.5v at the high and low beam wires when appropriate. Does anyone have any other ideas what might be going on? Thanks in advance

should have went with 100% JIS Glass set up above Kustom Koito's

sounds like a load resister issue or a grounding issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom