best 4" lift (1 Viewer)

what is the best 4" lift out there?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sup fellas,

i think i have finally decided to go with a lift kit rather than an SOA on my 72 fj40 dd.
(my bro-in-law and i have a rock-rig in planning stages that will have an SOA front & 1/4 ellip. rear, so i think it would be a bit overkill for me, seeing that i'm in school still.)

my question relates both to value and performance, but realize that my budget is very limited.

thanks y'all,
jonathan

ps -- this is what the alphabet would look like without q & r.

I like the skyjacker lift. My bro-in-law has the 4" lift kit on his '77 fj40 and it does pretty well. We have messed around with things a bit and have gotten it to flex really good for a spring under rig.

i'm running the skyjacker 4" and like it quite a bit. took some time to break in, but it's quite nice now. cruisinGA runs the same and he seems to like his too (back me up cruisin)

my only regret is wasing money on rs9000 ajustable shocks.. waste of money if you ask me.

Your poll is going to reflect the sheer number of FJ owners out there running that are running Skyjacker lifts. Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of folks out there running BDS, Pinnacle, and even OME, but, the bottom line from what I have seen is that probably 3 out of 5 lifted FJ's are riding on Skyjacker.

As for myself, I have no real complaints with the lift. The only naggling detail I have left is to shim the front axle to try & negate some bumpsteer. Aside from that I am very happy with the lift. Flexes & rides well, and it didn't kill my wallet.

hey halo,

good call. it's at 3 out of 4 right now. :D

also, any opinions on retailers?

jonathan

I like my 4" Downey springs alot, simmilar construction to Ranchos, Brad.

I bought mine through 4-Wheel Parts Warehouse (http://www.4wheelparts.com). We had just got our annual bonus, and I was surfing the 'net (bad things happen in these cases). Next thing I knew I had a reciept printed out for 5x 33" BFG MT's & the lift. I payed slightly more for the lift (like $30 more than the next cheapest place I could find), but I got the entire order shipped for FREE! No taxes + no shipping = happier wallet.

I put the 4" Skyjacker lift with Skyjacker Nitro shocks and anti-inversion shackles on my '78 about 9 months ago and love it. I'm running BFG M/T 33x12.50's with cut fenders. No complaints!! ;)

I went with the pinnacle 4.5" lift. It was as rough as driving a hay truck. I pulled one of the leafs and now it rides very nice! If I had it to do over again, I would do a springover! I am now gathering all the stuff I need to do a springover! I have had the lift for less than nine months and now I want to go to a springover :slap:. Sound repetitive?

72cruiser said:
sup fellas,

i think i have finally decided to go with a lift kit rather than an SOA on my 72 fj40 dd.
(my bro-in-law and i have a rock-rig in planning stages that will have an SOA front & 1/4 ellip. rear, so i think it would be a bit overkill for me, seeing that i'm in school still.)

my question relates both to value and performance, but realize that my budget is very limited.

thanks y'all,
jonathan

ps -- this is what the alphabet would look like without q & r.

For 4" of lift, I would just take the extra 2 and go spring over. It will be better in the long run.

That said, proably the BEST 4" lift is a set of custom springs from Alcan.

I'm also running the Skyjacker 4 inch lift with extended shackles in the back and greasable all around. I'm real happy with it.

Whats up with the Poll?

I have heard bad things about Pinnacle. I also heard Hell Creeck is really stiff. I heard good things about BDS as well.

Like Rusman said (I got your back man) I'm running skyjacker, have been for 1.5 yrs. I have zero complaints.

With stock length shackles I am running 33" swampers with tons of room to flex. 34's or 35's would work as well, if you could get the gearing.

I need to come on down to clemson anyway malphrus, I'll drive the 40 and you can see if you like it.

For cost-effectiveness, the skyjacker purchased on a free-shipping weekend from 4wheelparts.com is very hard to beat.

Springs

I have a brand new set of 4" lift springs with heckelthorn shocks and bushings. They came off a parts rig that i bought and have never been on the road . The springs have teflon slides. I do not know the brand. I want $375 for the set. I live in southern Vermont and maybe gehn could bring them down after Christmas break. I can send pictures

yeah I did too, and I was wondering why malph was going to buy a lift kit when his 4wheel drive isn't even working,............ but he def. could use a lift and a locker it gets old having to pull him out all the time ;)

ClemsonCruiser said:
yeah I did too, and I was wondering why malph was going to buy a lift kit when his 4wheel drive isn't even working,............ but he def. could use a lift and a locker it gets old having to pull him out all the time ;)

ouch...pickin on me when i'm not even here...and on a thread that has been around as long as you've had your 40, ha ha

malphrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom