Best 37" A/T tire 16" or 17" rim, that is the question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fzjconvert

one hand, two ducks
Threads
First, I really haven't been one to start threads because so many of you have done such a great job covering almost every topic under the sun. However, I have not been able to find a tire that just grabs me. I want a well rounded AT that is quite on road for the :princess:and still be able to do some light trails when I'm f-ing around on the weekends w/ the family. Then for the trips with the boys, I have a good set of MT's to throw on for the more serious stuff!

Here is the skinny, I have been searching for some time now and can't turn up anything but the usual suspects... I have two sets of rims and really want to hear other opinions of which size I should use for my daily set (AT) and which for my MT set. Not really interested in hearing "why do you want to run 37's?" If you guys have photos that would be great too! Thank you in advance!

Yes, I agree but I don't want to base or limit my selection on money. That is the reason I want to invest :hillbilly: in two sets of tires and wheels. In the long run I should come out alright because I won't be blowing out an expensive set of KM2's just doing the DD thing. Anyway, thank you for your input!

David

17's for the AT DD
and 16's for the mud tires.

Mainly because it is easier to find sizes in the 16's in new and used and they are always going to be cheaper apple for apple.

whichever one you do the trail tires on i'd go ahead and invest in bead locks for them also.

Being in somewhat of the same boat here is what ive found. Im looking for a good set of 37" road worthy MT's. I have the stock 16's but I might go 17s as they seem more available.

There seem to be very few 16's out there.

There are lots of 17" wheels and tires available. I have found that the pricing is very similar to the 16's that i have found.

Im leaning toward the 17's unless i can find a set of 16's...

37x12.5 16.5 I have actually picked up mileage since switching to these tires. was averaging 9-11 and now Im averaging 12-15mpg from my mickey t 35's. Plus the tires are only $60-75 each with more then 75% tread life on them. I know you said 16's or 17's, but maybe something to think about for your DD tires. There also actually quieter then my mickey's were.

Just my .0002 of input
Jeremy

For DD and light wheeling, I would go down to a 35.:hmm: You won't need the height and they're much cheaper.:idea: When I priced them a year ago, a 35" NTG was ~$200, the 37" was ~$300.:eek:

For DD and light wheeling, I would go down to a 35.:hmm: You won't need the height and they're much cheaper.:idea: When I priced them a year ago, a 35" NTG was ~$200, the 37" was ~$300.:eek:
x2. I just went down this road and I came to the conclusion (16" wheel) that the best "all around tire" is a toyo open country mt, unfortunately the largest 16" comes in 315/75. It's much quieter than the km2 and still has an aggressive look.
You can always go with a 325/80/16 to get some other options, albeit pricey. Bottom line is... you'll be hard pressed finding a quiet 37" tire as that size is simply ridiculous to the common folk.

Falken Wildpeak AT, comes in 37's and is a quiet AT. Read any review on them, they are the stuff unless you're all about mud.

Not sure if you can get BFG AT/KOs for 17s but the last set I ran on my 16s lasted almost 60,000 miles. I punctured a bunch of different AT tires before I got to the BFGs. Luckily I had the tire replacement with Discount. Once I got the BFGs I stopped puncturing tires. Go figure. These are tough tires that last a REALLY long time. I have MTs on now because I am doing more advanced off-roading. I previously used my truck for hunting. I am now avidly off-roading more.

This is also the quietest AT I have run on my truck.

Not sure if you can get BFG AT/KOs for 17s but the last set I ran on my 16s lasted almost 60,000 miles. I punctured a bunch of different AT tires before I got to the BFGs. Luckily I had the tire replacement with Discount. Once I got the BFGs I stopped puncturing tires. Go figure. These are tough tires that last a REALLY long time. I have MTs on now because I am doing more advanced off-roading. I previously used my truck for hunting. I am now avidly off-roading more.

This is also the quietest AT I have run on my truck.

I junked the BFG AT/KOs on my Taco because they were the noisiest, roughest riding ATs I had ever run.:meh:

17's for the AT DD
and 16's for the mud tires.

Mainly because it is easier to find sizes in the 16's in new and used and they are always going to be cheaper apple for apple.

whichever one you do the trail tires on i'd go ahead and invest in bead locks for them also.

Yeah, I am leaning that way too!

Nitto makes some decent tires in about the size you are looking for. But I might just go with the open country's too, they seem to get decent wear. Though I dont know that I would get 2 sets of 37's, one in an AT and 1 in a mud tire. I would almost rather go with a 35 for on road driving.

In my experience, 17" tires are more available and less expensive than 16" in 37" sizes. For desert wheeling and good highway manners, Nitto Terra Grapplers are hard to beat.

Has anyone used these?

Hey thanks guys for the replys and the leads! This is what I have found as well. Has anyone used these tires?

Or this one both Irok's from Interco Tire Company

Here is a link:

VorTrac | Interco Tire

Last edited:
In my experience, 17" tires are more available and less expensive than 16" in 37" sizes. For desert wheeling and good highway manners, Nitto Terra Grapplers are hard to beat.

I agree about the Nitto's I just didn't like all the rocks that they picked up on my friends truck. That is my only beef... Also, I like to try something different too!

Guess I lost the photo of the AT from Interco. Here it is again!

imagemagic.php

Hey thanks guys for the replys and the leads! This is what I have found as well. Has anyone used these tires?

Or this one both Irok's from Interco Tire Company

Here is a link:

VorTrac | Interco Tire

I just bought the 36x13.5x17 Irok Bias and love them. Actual diameter is 36.8, so basically a 37. I'm running them on the FJ cruiser steel wheels with 1.5 inch wheel spacers. You can usually pick up the wheels for about $250 shipped for a set. Tires were about $300 a piece. If you're getting a off road tire, I would highly recommend going with a bias ply. Much nicer ride in the woods, cheaper, lighter, and better traction. Keep the stock 16s for a DD AT tire. Both 35s and 37s drive nice on the road. Biggest difference is the cost. I'll post some pics later, if you want.

I liked my duratracks for dd duty and they are great in the snow and ice to boot if that applies to you. I think the largest size is a 315 though. Im running 37x12.5x17 km2's on 4"bs'd rock crawler rims, they fit great and are surprisingly decent to dd with stock gears.

Note, for the 37's Id go with a 4" bs'd rim to negate the need for spacers.

Tacogrille007-1.jpg

Tacogrille014-1.jpg

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom