Besides Toyota dealerships, what other 'authoritative' parts sources are there for 80's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I must admit to rarely, if ever, approaching a dealership to ask about parts. For anyone 'in the know' do dealers have access to internal Toyota inventory systems to look up 'live' parts stock status, price, availability, etc.? Local dealerships don't always have easy ways to forward lists of part numbers for them to look up. How does a dealership put prices on parts? Does the parent company (here in Oz it's TMCA a subsidiary of the Japanese parent) give a wholesale price when a part number is searched and the dealer then adds markup and taxes?

Otherwise, Amayama is the best place followed by Partsouq and Megazip at the end. But i've had some good scores from those last two when Amayama comes back with 'out of production' reports. So go figure. I know it's been discussed before about whether (or not) these places are dipping into 'official' Toyota warehouse parts stocks or not. I'd be unsurprised if there are large quantities of genuine parts NOT in genuine Toyota logistics systems for various reasons.

Just this month I'm spending up on new bits for the 80 over 3 Amayama orders and amazingly all the bits I ordered have been available.

80's were made from 1990 to 1998 so the oldest ones are nearly 33 yrs since rolling off the production line.

"what other 'authoritative' parts sources are there---"

The vendor in the link below is in the US and stocks many of the commonly needed parts including some well thought out parts designed in-house. Just as important they are very knowledgeable, professional, don't make guesses on parts substitutions, and are easy to work with.

AFAIK they ship to Oz.

Last edited:
Megazip would be the last place I'd go on the planet. I don't trust them.

PartsSouq has the easiest to read parts diagrams and if they say they have something, they do. Sometimes, when they say they don't, they do. Buying from Amayama is like what we used to call the Sears and Roebuck mail order catalog - the wish book.

Toyota dealers are the best place to get Toyota parts, provided they are in stock in your area (country). When they're not, you either have to call a buddy in Japan or use PartSouq.

Last edited:
Must be nice to be somewhere where these things were a lot more popular (Oz). I think PartSouq is a company with an relationship with Toyota (and other) dealers / warehouses in the country / region. They don't actually stock parts themselves, but have agreements with those dealers and access to their inventory. That's how they explained it when I had some questions about parts being cancelled and refunded from a couple of orders. They batch their orders to the dealers daily, and if another customer bought it during the day, they beat me to the punch even though it was in stock and I paid for it. My resources are online US Toyota dealerships who sell at a discount, PartSouq, Mud vendors, local Toyota dealership (who uses matrix pricing over list), pretty much in order of spend.

Jason

Megazip would be the last place I'd go on the planet. I don't trust them.

PartsSouq has the easiest to read parts diagrams and if they say they have something, they do. Sometimes, when they say they don't, they do. Buying from Amayama is like what we used to call the Sears and Roebuck mail order catalog - the wish book.

Toyota dealers are the best place to get Toyota parts, provided they are in stock in your area (country). WHen they'r enot, you either have to call a buddy in Japan or use PartSouq.
Interesting comment re: Megazip, summer of '21 I'll bet I spent over $3k with them, similar to Partsouq. I got great service from both. Ironically, domestic online sources were sometimes slower.
Recently, my big local dealer was sold and added a online site. Prices are excellent, local pickup is fast, they do change a small fee though.
Happy holidays everyone!

Must be nice to be somewhere where these things were a lot more popular (Oz)

Toyota parts pricing in Aus is horrendous. Stuff is regularly double partsouq prices.
Even with shìt exchange rates and handing over your left teste for freight, it's a lot cheaper than buying from a dealer.

Plus, the usual complaint that most parts people can't see past a VIN

Are to this the fact that most dealers carry very limited inventory, and anything they don't stick well so from a central warehouse in Melbourne, or 3 weeks ex-Japan.
It's often just as fast or faster to ship from partsouq .

I'll add Japan 4x4 as a great source of OEM parts that others may not have in stock.
I'll be having Dave Stedman price up a couple of $G in parts in the next few days

Last edited:
Toyota parts pricing in Aus is horrendous. Stuff is regularly double partsouq prices.
Even with shìt exchange rates and handing over your left teste for freight, it's a lot cheaper than buying from a dealer.

Plus, the usual complaint that most parts people can't see past a VIN

Are to this the fact that most dealers carry very limited inventory, and anything they don't stick well so from a central warehouse in Melbourne, or 3 weeks ex-Japan.
It's often just as fast or faster to ship from partsouq .

I'll add Japan 4x4 as a great source of OEM parts that others may not have in stock.
I'll be having Dave Stedman price up a couple of $G in parts in the next few days
I second Dave Stedman and Japan 4x4. Just did my second order, more to come.

Better prices and cheaper shipping than Partsouq.

I buy virtually ZERO parts from local or any Canadian Toyota dealership, prices are also nearly twice as much!

Its primarily dealers. We don't enjoy the same aftermarket support US domestic cars/trucks from the 60s-90's get.

Here in the USA, my local Toyota dealer doesn't seem to stock anything for our trucks (US spec), at least nothing I've tried so far. And what they can order in for me, costs more, but I don't pay shipping so it makes sense for large objects or small random odds and ends I need ASAP. The Toyota dealer 100mi down the highway (McGeorge) has very good pricing and customer service, so I use them for most things I can wait to have shipped.

I hear PartSouq mentioned all the time, but I've never found a solid reason to go with them vs McGeorge.

My local BMW dealer stocks a ton of stuff and beats all the prices of Internet parts resellers. I ordered an entire undertray the other week and shipping would have been $200+; thankfully I picked it up locally.

Agree with that, nothing is ever in stock locally other than oil filters and red coolant. I think there was a bolt or something that was in stock, turned out it was a special order that was never picked up. I have used McGeorge a few times too, good service, the prices seem to usually be within a few cents to a few dollars to LaGrange. LaGrange is across Atlanta from me, so shipping is usually a little quicker. For PartSouq, the pricing is usually so much better it often nets out with LaGrange or McGeorge even with shipping. The real trick is to buy several things at once, they don't compound shipping so adding many smaller things to an order doesn't add much if anything to shipping. Clips and hoses to my new grille, or window runs and clips to the sector shaft and pitman arm. Those are another good reason, non-US parts that aren't stocked or orderable from the US. But generally I agree, if you are happy with a local dealer or Mud vendor, support them first !

Jason

On the subject of "supporting local" You also might consider that concerns that arise with patronizing a business in a place with slave-like conditions for much of it's labor force. Those cheap part prices come from somewhere. Obviously as soon as $$$ are involved, no one cares about that.
Japan or local dealer for me nowadays.

On the subject of "supporting local" You also might consider that concerns that arise with patronizing a business in a place with slave-like conditions for much of it's labor force. Those cheap part prices come from somewhere. Obviously as soon as $$$ are involved, no one cares about that.
Japan or local dealer for me nowadays.

Fair point, I actually learned a bit when this came up previously, I never expected this type of concern with a company based in Dubai. Mixed messages for sure, but seems the warehouse labor may be transient and not taken care of like the "higher" classes. Interesting and something to be aware of for sure. I would almost bet there is someone on here who lives there and could chime in.

Jason

Every part I’ve ordered from Amayama and Partsouq arrived faster than local USA orders. And the prices have been night and day difference. Packaging is typically much better too from the Japanese orders.

Agreed OGBeno. The whole backend of the automotive after-sales support industry is where the real hard work happens and it's where the least commercial glory exists because the 'bling' expires once a vehicle transfers ownership to the end-user and Toyota has aquired it's share of the sale price to offset some of the production costs.

After-sales support (especially once production ceases) only exists because the car makers are kind of compelled to ensure each model has a targetted 'service life' before support official ends and I think with 80's that bridge has been crossed many years back. Imagine how this will work for electric vehicles like Teslas which in the USA are already starting to get 'old'. But other makers look at Tesla and learn lessons and make commercial decisions about after-sales support for future EV and other vehicle types based on 'early-entrant' businesses.

I'm sure that Toyota re-runs spare parts if/when demand reaches a particular level to trigger a re-run, but that would only be for certain types of parts I suspect. Some parts have been NLA everywhere (even going 'deep internal' via dealership parts desks) ever since I first got my 80 over 10 years ago.

I've got a list of parts I'm ordering today from Amayama and I have good confidence they'll all be available. I usually try putting p/n's into partsouq and megazip just for fun but often they will have stuff the others don't.

It used to be until about 2 yrs ago that Amayama UAE was the best/cheapest source, but now it's not. I find it better to order ex Japan and have parts shipped 'internally' to Amayama's facility at Peakhurst in Sydney where they pack up and ship via a local courier to me. Takes longer (since UAE shipments usually get sent via DHL or Fedex) but since the Cult of Covid hit everything about supply chains globally this has racked up shipping costs for any type of international freight. I guess Amayama probably sents huge volumes of parts to Australia often, so that spreads out freight costs across a bigger spectrum of parts, orders, and customers.

TMCA (Toyota in Australia) might not have any parts stock locally for older models now. Esp since it ceased manufacturing here and also closed down it's big parts warehouse at Taren Point in Sydney a few years ago.

Is this the right forum to ask where I can get some indentured servants? Seems like a good idea to me.

I'm happy to patronize Partsouq. They've been a fantastic source not only for parts but for a great parts list UX. I liked it so much I had my team model our company's parts UX off Partsouq.

They do a good job. Kiril and his team are top notch.

DA9F9185-F85D-4DFA-85FE-7F0E24BA81DE.jpeg

Dealers do not stock boutique parts. It is not financially responsible to do so. Typical sales demand that qualifies stocking any particular item is a sale recorded in each of 3 months in a 12 month period. In order to keep the stocking justification it needs to sell at least once every six months thereafter.

That's not likely to happen in the normal dealer environment to items that apply to 30+ year old vehicles.

I was able to do it because I had the customer base that bought enough to generate the sales demand to justify stocking the stuff.

I live two miles from a Toyota dealership so I always give them the first opportunity, but I often end up at Partsouq as they are cheaper and often faster. One thing I did at my dealership long ago was to take them my big stack of receipts from American Toyota (thanks Dan and Beno) and asked them to match the discount, which they did. I have a 20% discount from list price in their system. This makes my local dealership on par with places like McGeorge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom