Besides CV Joints... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...what could cause a knocking sound when accelerating while turning? This also happens when the AHC is in HI.

Wore out front swaybar bushings caused a knocking sound on my Cruiser.

Worn out ball joints or TREs (possibly outer), possibly loose or bad shock mount or bushing.
Consistent knocking while turning is a sign of a bad CV, if it is intermittent then something else is going on.

Wore out front swaybar bushings caused a knocking sound on my Cruiser.

There's a little play in them, or maybe, that's just the rust moving around.

20210511_114230.jpg

20210511_114111.jpg

20210511_114236.jpg

20210511_114106.jpg

There's a little play in them, or maybe, that's just the rust moving around.
What do the links that connect the swaybar to the lower control arm look like? Based on the rust I see, I wouldn't be surprised if the linked have rusted themselves in 1/2. That is what mine did.

What do the links that connect the swaybar to the lower control arm look like? Based on the rust I see, I wouldn't be surprised if the linked have rusted themselves in 1/2. That is what mine did.
Like most of the truck, rusty but solid. I'll probably end up replacing the sway bar and everything connected to it.

Can be as simple loose nuts, like the nuts on your upper A-arm or upper and/or lower ball joints or tie rod ends.

Like most of the truck, rusty but solid. I'll probably end up replacing the sway bar and everything connected to it.
It's very rare for the sway bar links and cushions to be OK. If you haven't replaced them recently, I'd put money on it they're bad. The links have a shaft that can rust enough to cause slop. The shaft diameter decreases due to corrosion/erosion and then you get a "clank" as the shaft rocks within the bushings that used to be tight.

Especially with your rig as rusty as it is, I can't imagine those sway bar links are ok unless you've already touched them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom