Berdoo Canyon Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The gf was bored yesterday and wanted to go wheeling and hiking so I googled for a trail close to home and found this. Nothing too hard but it was nice scenery and fun in my Tundra. The bad part was we ended up in the Joshua Tree Monument and had to pay $15 to get out. Oh well. Next time I'll turn around and come out the way I came in.

Berdoo10.jpg

Found a random dam

Berdoo28.jpg

If you go out the Cottonwood exit there is no charge, but you might spend 15$ in fuel..............come back Box Canyon or the Bradshaw trail from the summit.

Did you try any of the side trails? Clownmidget has a few vids-
YouTube - Land Cruiser ascending berdoo canyon side canyon

I didn't see any side trails. How far in are they?

If you go out the Cottonwood exit there is no charge, but you might spend 15$ in fuel..............come back Box Canyon or the Bradshaw trail from the summit.

I don't know where any of this stuff is except the Bradshaw trail although I'm not sure how to get to there from Berdoo Canyon.

I'm not sure. I was curious about the area after seeing Mike's videos... I have to go exploring there sometime.

Mikes trails are less than a mile above Dillon Rd near the old canal construction camp.

Cottonwood is the I-10 side of JT, its below the Chiaraco Summit but about a 10 mile drive, from there you hit the Red Cloud exit and head south along the old railroad tracks, take that for a few mile then you cross over the tracks and intersect with the Bradshaw trail, take that down hill to North Shore, stop in Indio and have a taco.

cool

I really enjoyed Brooklyn Mine trail, it's in the general area. Last time we actually had a stock full size ford truck on the trail, so your tundra could definately make it. It was tight but he made it.

I used to live about 5 mins up Dillon Rd from Berdoo Cyn. There are some neat "secret" trails right across Dillon from my old house.

I was planning on running this trail over the Thanksgiving holiday. How long did the run take till you got to the JT Park entrance?

I was planning on running this trail over the Thanksgiving holiday. How long did the run take till you got to the JT Park entrance?

It took a couple hours but we got out and hiked a couple times. My friend and I have the day off tomorrow so we're going to hit it up again (since I already paid for my JT park pass) and see what we can find out there.

Anyone have a link to some maps of the area?

pics to peak your interest

PICS of Brooklyn Mine trail

231869496.jpg

231869264.jpg

231859689.jpg

This is the end of the trail heading straight for CA 62
231859622.jpg

To get there you would need to take the I-10 east from around Indio area or west if you are coming from Blythe area. You want to head into the park on pinto basin road (el dorado mine road) six miles north of cottonwood campground. first trail (old dale rd starts right where eagle road starts on the right, you would head straight onto Old Dale road, there is a sign for both roads. Old dale goes straight for a long time. At 11.5 miles in on that trail you hit a track on the right, which is Brooklyn mine trail. There are a few points along the way where you are confronted with choices to go left or right.. So you kinda need a map. The park rangers might have a map? Its really worth investing in a trail book like "Backcountry Adventures Southern California, by:massey and wilson. This book has detailed instructions from beginning to end....It would take me an hour to write them all out..:cheers:

PS a little ways in on the trail there is a dune you can play on that is really fun!

We sometimes enter JTree via the Berdoo Cyn trail because it actually takes about the same amount of time as taking the highway (assuming you don't stop along the trail). Once you're out of the canyon and on the high desert plateau the trail is smooth and fast. The time "lost" on slower trail driving is made up for as time "saved" not hitting traffic lights in Yucca Valley and not having to drive the 35mph road from the park entrance to the campsites since the trail drops you in the middle of the park.

We sometimes enter JTree via the Berdoo Cyn trail because it actually takes about the same amount of time as taking the highway (assuming you don't stop along the trail). Once you're out of the canyon and on the high desert plateau the trail is smooth and fast. The time "lost" on slower trail driving is made up for as time "saved" not hitting traffic lights in Yucca Valley and not having to drive the 35mph road from the park entrance to the campsites since the trail drops you in the middle of the park.

Yea, I know what you mean... it takes me 45+ mins sometimes just getting to the 10 fwy from Joshua Tree. I actually have the "Backcountry Adventures Southern California" that ZPDFJ suggested. I know the book provides all the GPS coordinates for the trails they list, so I may just follow that. I have read thru it again and find the write-up on the JT trails.

Thread refresh -
Will a stock 100 series (with running boards) make it through OK?
A guy in a giant Hummer told me to turn back tonight! Was driving solo so turned back but want to do it in daylight if I can make it. Did it 15 years ago easy in a stock Xtra cab.

I did it in my stock 100 just fine.

Thanks Matta, good to know.
Now I just need a driving buddy to help check clearance with the boards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom