Bent windshield - repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My windshield is bent in two places and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. Has anyone straightened their windshield without a press or body straightening tools? If yes let me know.
See pics

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

If the glass is not in frame it would seem a couple blocks on the floor supporting the ends, and judiciously placed pressure, could get that bow out of the frame.

If the glass is not in frame it would seem a couple blocks on the floor supporting the ends, and judiciously placed pressure, could get that bow out of the frame.
i did remove the glass prior to removing the frame. So use body weight?

Last edited:
That's what I would try. You might want to put a slightly thinner block under the area you are pushing on to prevent over bending. A little experimenting should get you there.

Update... well I guess I don't need to go on a diet because my weight didn't budge it. Thinking of something else now.

A variation of @ginmtb ' s suggestion, maybe with a small bottle jack and a piece of wood to spread the jacking force so you don't dimple the frame.

You could try my jacking technique just use thick straps instead of chains and use some thick plywood between the jack and windshield frame to help protect it and spread out the load. Work very slowly and check the frame frequently. Don't want to go too far. Good luck!

My experience is slightly different (hooked corner of frame on tree and twisted it), but I had to go well past back into place to get it to return to original in a static state. I'd imagine you will have to tweak a little past flat to get it where you want it. Bottle jack seems like a really good way to go, you won't accidentally overtweak it if you take your time.

I tried using the weight of a forklifts load backrest and forks without any luck.
I have another idea that I'll try after work.

IMG_1136.PNG

I decided to cut the tubular sections in order to allow the frame to move relatively easy.
I used a hacksaw to keep the gap as small as possible knowing that one side would close and the other would open up.

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

Sometimes you just have to go for it!:mad:

Well after a week of driving with it in the back seat of my truck, I finally finish tig welding the relief cuts at work. Sorry no pics of the welds or grinding I was in a hurry to get it done. Here is a pic of the after photo. Compare it to the second photo in the beginning. Just a little dimple on each side where the wiper motor shaft goes through which I'll live with. I had to do the process to the driver and passenger side wiper motor areas. All straight now.
Thanks for the suggestions and support!

IMG_1169.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom