Bent Leaf Spring Leaves

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by vk7ybi, Feb 15, 2009.

1. vk7ybi

vk7ybi

Hi All,
    I have a spring pack with the main and second leaves bent out of their natural arch.. The spring was in a 40 that was nose dived off a bank and flipped.. The front axle housing is bent, the spring centre pin sheared and the front drive shaft fully compressed.. The transfer case is ok.. So, as the impact has done all this damage, the main and second leaf bent slightly at the rear spring pack clamp.. The spring has a slightly different shape than the un-damaged one, but I suspect this is due to inter-leaf rust and it held its new shape after impact, these springs are super rigid.. My question is, is there a simple method used to restore the natural curve to the leaves? I dont have a shop press, perhaps I should get me one? Im thinking that if I have a good spring to compare to I might be able to get it close, but someone with experience might know otherwise..

2. Godwin

Godwin Resident Herpetologist SILVER Star

I think you should replace the damaged spring instead of trying to restore the curve. I once bent the main spring on one of the fronts; the kink in the spring was located a few inches ahead of the fixed mount. I continued driving it this way for about a year until the spring snapped at the bend.

3. D'Animal

D'Animal Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
  4. Jwood

Jwood

X2

Replace the Springs.

5. vk7ybi

vk7ybi

I have a replacement housing to go in.. The bend in the leaf isnt as bad as yours pictures.. This is a $300 beater, its hard to justify spending money on complete new spring packs.. I might contact the spring manufacturer and see if I can get just the top leaves separate..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.