Bent Emergency Brake ?Actuator? in Rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passenger side E-Brake actuator was displaced the last trip out. The brake is not dragging. For those who may have had this situation before.

The Good Side: Rear Brake 003.jpg

The Bad Side: Rear Brake 001.jpg

Should I

1. Remove and bend it back?
2. Try to bend it back while in place.
3. Remove and Replace affected parts.
Rear Brake 001.jpg
Rear Brake 003.jpg

They're called bellcranks and that one is likely finished. Replace it with a new one.

Bellcrank. Thanks. I didn't want to call it a thingy. Having only done the front brakes a few times and not the rear, is the bellcrank a :banana: bolt in replacement assembly?

On the 60 series at least, you have to take the whole brake apart to replace the bell crank. I assume the 80s mechanism is similar, since inside the wheel it activates a drum brake. The housing that the bell crank goes in also gets rusted and crudded up, so just replace all the parts. It looks like new springs are needed too.

Bellcrank. Thanks. I didn't want to call it a thingy. Having only done the front brakes a few times and not the rear, is the bellcrank a :banana: bolt in replacement assembly?

On a SF axle it's a bolt in. I can't imagine it's all that different on yours. You should probably take this opportunity to replace the ebrake shoes and the rear pads on both sides. Set up the ebrake according to the FSM.

Given the amount of rust on your truck, you will have a tough time replacing the bell cranks. My truck has way less rust than your and all but one or two pivot pins were rusted solid. I had to use my dremel tool to cut through the bell crank ion both sides to get it out. On the plus side the parts are cheapish (as I recall it was $247 for all the parts I needed to give me useable emergency brakes. The job took me about 3 hours to do.

Karl

I had to use my dremel tool to cut through the bell crank ion both sides to get it out.
Karl

On mine (SF axle) the bellcranks are bolted to the backing plate with 2 bolts. I removed those bolts and it fell out, siezed pins and all. Is it that different on a FF?

It took 2 of us about 4 hours to replace a broken bell crank on my truck and free the parking brakes from the years of rust and neglect in salted road environments. I think we used a whole can of PBBlaster and rounded off several small screwdrivers chipping away the grime and rust. We took turns working and drinking beer.

Lots of time spent cleaning.

The difficult part seemed to be getting all of the springs & pins & cotters all back -right- and not loosing any of the small bits in the cleaning process.

Don't underestimate this one. It took nearly as much time as rebuilding the front axle.

yep...mangled bellcrank. might be able to re & re it without tearing the whole ebrake assembly apart...but since youre in there, and the looks of the rust on it, might as well tear it apart and clean/lube it up.

X2 on checking the post ducati posted. it helped me alot more than the FSM did. grab a wire wheel & drill, some white lith grease & never sieze , and go to town cleaning up all the parts. that is...unless the rust has done its toll and siezed everything apart...

Just ordered the parts from Dan last week, just for one side. The parts I needed were cheap (I didn't replace the shoes, just the bell crank, the piece that holds it, the pins, "C" clips, and the short cable in the drum.) I don't have the invoice with me, but I think it was less than $50...... WAY cheaper than me spending hours trying to clean up the old parts.

WAY cheaper than me spending hours trying to clean up the old parts.

Nice to see someone finally putting a value on personal time. Some parts are not worth fixing. Replace it and move on.

FWIW, I packed the rubber boots with moly grease. Works a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom