Bent drivers side rear control bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is no doubt that I bent my lower control bar on the rear drivers side and will be replacing it. However, I am hearing a noise from the driver side rear when I accelerate forward. I don’t hear the noise when backing up. It is definitely a knock that is speed dependent. Any ideas?

How did you bend the arm?

Is it a rotating knock or just a single knock when you roll forward? If a single knock, you may have some axle wrap that is releasing when you roll forward.

If it is a rotating knock:

1. jack up rear end.
2. Check rear driveshaft with a flat edge/level for damage.
3. Rotate wheels by hand to ID which side is causing knock.
4. Pull brake shoe hats, rotate again.

If after removing the brake shoe hat you are still getting a rotating noise, have someone rotate the axle while you listen against the diff and the hubs. Hub noise is wheel bearing, diff noise is most likely a carrier bearing or broken tooth. When I hear someone bent their LCA, I want to lean towards you may have dinged your rear drive shaft as well.

Check to see if the LCA bolts are tight while on the ground.

Is it a rotating knock or just a single knock when you roll forward? If a single knock, you may have some axle wrap that is releasing when you roll forward.

If it is a rotating knock:

1. jack up rear end.
2. Check rear driveshaft with a flat edge/level for damage.
3. Rotate wheels by hand to ID which side is causing knock.
4. Pull brake shoe hats, rotate again.

If after removing the brake shoe hat you are still getting a rotating noise, have someone rotate the axle while you listen against the diff and the hubs. Hub noise is wheel bearing, diff noise is most likely a carrier bearing or broken tooth. When I hear someone bent their LCA, I want to lean towards you may have dinged your rear drive shaft as well.
I eyeballed my driveshaft and it looked okay. It’s a rotating knock that, at least by sound, aligns to a single rotation of the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom