Bent drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DustyFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I replaced the broken motor mount and the truck still vibrated starting at about 40 mph started getting bad at 55mph. I jacked up the back wheels and had the wife put it in drive. I could see the drive shaft wobble quite a bit hard to say how far its out of wack. There are no dents it just seems to be bent. U-joints are good.

I'd hate to scrap it. Its a one ton double cardian from driveshaft superstore. I paid 400 bucks for it.

Is there a place around here that can balance it?

Should I look into sending it to some where like Tom woods, or Driveshaft uperstore?

you can have one of the places retube it. Better yet dont you still have that tom woods $150 coupon? have them retube it.

I was loosing my mind looking for that coupon. I got the 100 dollar one, I'll have to call and see about getting it re-tubed, I wonder what shipping wil look like???

*Twisted driveshaft

I talked to Troy at Tom Woods drive shafts he told me the drive shaft had twisted and thats what caused it to bend, thats why I couldn't see any dents in it.

Apperently Driveshaft superstore used rolled, welded steel (you can see the seam in photo) Tom woods uses Drawn over mantle, which Troy sasys is about twice as strong when twisiting. Read-stay away from driveshaft superstore

Troy said as long as the splines are good he can re-tube it with DOM

I'll pull it apart tomorrow and clean out the splines

forgot the pictures
014.jpg
015.jpg
016.jpg

There ya go. Thats crazy it twisted.

thats nothing compared to my front DS that I twisted:lol:

Do you use the 4 wheel drive on the sstreet in the winter time? If ya dont square tube it:cool:

I would, but it's my rear shaft thats bent. I'm finding out it's a pain to keep a traiil truck roadworthy. It doesnt start shaking bad till like 40mph. If it was a trail only truck it'd be no problem.

yea I got real tired of trying to keep my trail truck a daily driver thats why I got the truck(dodge)
I would, but it's my rear shaft thats bent. I'm finding out it's a pain to keep a traiil truck roadworthy. It doesnt start shaking bad till like 40mph. If it was a trail only truck it'd be no problem.

That would be why I got the 40 done. Its alot lighter and can handle more abuse and probably wont ever see above 55mph.

got my shaft in the mail today. Hope to get it on this wek if the weather gets better
IMG00147-20101213-1808.jpg

so is it better?

started putting it on yesterday, but it was just too stinking cold, all I got to do is get under there and tighten all the bolts. I may do that this afternoon and go play in the snow. I wont know if it's better for sure till the roads are better and I can get it up to speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom