Benefits of moving to a Gear Reduction starter??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have an upgraded battery and have upgraded all my battery and starter cables to heavy duty. Did seem to help but my starter can be slow, especially if the AC is left on....I was exploring Vintagteqparts website and came across what looks like an upgrade to the OEM starter and was wondering if anyone had any experience or feedback on moving to this type of starter. From my research it seems the spin faster and require less power, but are there drawbacks. Looks like a cheap easy upgrade and I can always have the old one rebuilt as a spare. Plug and play.

1627945875658.png

Gear reduction starters have more torque because of the gearing reduction but spin the flywheel slower.
They're suitable for undersized starters on big engines.
I've started a 60 that had a gear reduction starter on it. I didn't like how slow it cranked over the engine.
With a good battery and a remanufactured Toyota starter - that combo will easily turn over the engine under all circumstances. My starter (Toyota) was never slow. When powered by a wet cell lead acid battery it turned over fine. When I connected it to a 31Ah AGM battery, holy hell it jumped to life at any temperature. Really fast.

Last edited:
Im getting tired of seeing all these sale ads in the tech forum. They seem to end abruptly after this sellers comments.
to be fair I did ask....and it is nice to hear from the vendor as they have good knowledge of what they sell. Not sure if you have been to his site but he sells some cool upgrades and replacement parts. I just ordered the turn signal switch combo as my button on my WS wipers has been out for a couple of years. Nothing better than a plug and play new part with extra features that looks OE. Can't wait to install it as I have missed being able to clean my WS.

I’m all for people like him coming up with products that will help me and the community. I’ve purchased from him in the past. The point is, he his cluttering up the best tech forum on the internet with T-ten college level BS (random videos and sales pitches) and then linking his parts for sale.

So I have an upgraded battery and have upgraded all my battery and starter cables to heavy duty. Did seem to help but my starter can be slow, especially if the AC is left on....I was exploring Vintagteqparts website and came across what looks like an upgrade to the OEM starter and was wondering if anyone had any experience or feedback on moving to this type of starter. From my research it seems the spin faster and require less power, but are there drawbacks. Looks like a cheap easy upgrade and I can always have the old one rebuilt as a spare. Plug and play.

View attachment 2748631

Coming back to the original question. I'm not sure this starter would be much of an upgrade. I would not use it because of the exposed electrical connections that I think would be prone to corrosion from water, mud, sand, salt, etc. Plus when the need arises can you source rebuild parts?

Across 3 F series engines running the FJ60 gear reduction starter I have collectively 500+k miles of use. These starters have been dead reliable if the battery is well charged, electrical connections are good, and if the starter internals (contacts and plunger) are in good condition. Cost to rebuild is cheap and parts are easily available.

I’m all for people like him coming up with products that will help me and the community. I’ve purchased from him in the past. The point is, he his cluttering up the best tech forum on the internet with T-ten college level BS (random videos and sales pitches) and then linking his parts for sale.
It's good info and I appreciate it. Ultimately if someone decides they want a part its always good to have a link in the thread. I really see a post bitching about someone contributing to the conversation as clutter...Not like he was the only one that weighed in. You have any useful info on the subject by any chance???

With a good starter, you have a short distance electric vehicle if you have issues with fuel etc.

If I’m reading your original question correctly, you are looking for a starter that will start your motor faster. So it doesn’t turn over so much before it fires. If this is true, I think that a gear reduction starter will just make it worse by turning your flywheel slower. The oem starter seems to have worked without any known problems for the last 33 years. I’d stick with that. ToyotaMatt’s starter that puts out more power would be a better alternative in my opinion.

If I’m reading your original question correctly, you are looking for a starter that will start your motor faster. So it doesn’t turn over so much before it fires. If this is true, I think that a gear reduction starter will just make it worse by turning your flywheel slower. The oem starter seems to have worked without any known problems for the last 33 years. I’d stick with that. ToyotaMatt’s starter that puts out more power would be a better alternative in my opinion.
that is the exact response I was looking for....I will have to go back an look at his offering to find which one you are talking about...thanks for chiming in.

Keep us posted on the progress and outcome. Reading about other's experiences and remedies is a great resource. I also welcome @ToyotaMatt input and parts solutions related to the task. All this provides us all with an array of solutions to 30+ year truck problems that many shops, mechanics and so called experts have no experience in diagnosing.

I think that a gear reduction starter will just make it worse by turning your flywheel slower.

The statement above implies that GR starters are slower. While they are 'gear reduced', their motor turns much faster, so the net effect is faster cranking.

I had a stock '78 FJ40 starter that made my FJ40 crank like my '58 Massey Ferguson tractor (arduously). I installed a GR starter from an FJ60, and it cranks far faster and starts faster. This was handy when I was having hot soak/vapor lock issues and needed to clean out the cylinders (as it were). I would not go back to the stock, non-GR starter, unless you like that 'cranks like it's running a 6 volt system' feeling!

Matt - The italicized portion of my reply #21 was quoting a line from reply #16 (thus, in italics). I disagree with the statement that GR starters turn the engine more slowly. Hope that clears it up.

Remember , this is a new / recent technology latest stuff out of DENSO JAPAN

is a completely new starter design not yet invented when even a FJ62 was new back in 1990...........

This starter was never installed on a NEW land cruiser from PLANT A-11

if your not aware Mr. @Godwin , it will fit correctly and properly on a 1964 F Engine , F1.5 2F FJ40 , FJ55 , FJ60 and 3FE Fj62 ONLY .............

in fact it has
ONLY the exact same use vehicles application to Modle as the Gear Reduction one also being discussed in this Tread and Comparison etc ......

i hope this answers your question ?

No, still confused.

"it will fit correctly and properly on a 1964 F Engine , F1.5 2F FJ40 , FJ55 , FJ60 and 3FE Fj62 ONLY ............."

So from this Denso developed an entirely new starter that will only fit F series Toyota motors that have been out of production since 1992?

I have concluded that only the USA has a factory japan Based Remanufactured program

I have hunted for Toyota genuine remanufactured parts globally and come up empty

keep this fact in mind too

do y know the exact year toyota stopped producing and offering the gear reduction starter platform …

well I know ..

I dug hard and it’s been more then 20+ years

So ….

what say u about the above ?

NOTE :

I DID NOT Alter this original factory box label in any way , it OEM Original and period correct in every
way..........

what say u about the above ?

That you either will not answer the question or don't know. I was curious about this starter as a potential but not without having more solid info on it. I'm done.

Just a little story about toyota gear reduction starters. My buddy and I were rock crawling when he broke his t-case so badly it was no longer able to drive but his engine would still run. My cruiser for whatever reason stopped running but my drivetrain was functioning normally. So we were both broken and in the middle of the trail. As it was a highly travelled trail, we couldn't leave our trucks for fear of vandalism.
I started towing him by driving on my starter. When my battery was close to dying we would swap batteries and let his truck charge the dead one while I continued to tow him on the other battery. After approximately 3 hours of this we eventually made it back to the trailers and tow rigs and made it home. I continued to use that starter for approximately 10 years longer and never experienced a single issue. I think I still have it somewhere in the pile and it still works. Best starter I've ever owned. I won't dd a land cruiser that doesn't have one.
Not sure if many of you are aware but, the reason dodge was able to install 6bt's in pickups was the fact that nippon denso gear reduction starters became available. Prior to that , huge batteries were the only way they could get them to spin up fast enough to start them.

Jim: the original part number was 28100-60042.

The reman part number is 28100-60090-84.

I wouldn’t waste my time with that part number and just get the readily available 28100-60070-84 starter that basically fits all F series engines through 8/1992.

And it’s cheap and it’s a great starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom