Bending bent skids back? And aluminum versus steel skids. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good job putting them to the test. Nice field report. I recently installed my BB skids (Aluminum front, SS for the rest) but haven’t had a chance to use them just yet. They sure can take a beating, and you definitely used them as they were intended. I agree the bud built sliders are amazing. They have saved me many of times. The 200s rocker panels sit so dang low.
Haha yeah It’s sooo hard not to go off the deep end with more upgrades after going on an intense wheeling trip like that. That’s when you really find out what you need/want to go even deeper down the rabbit hole.
If your desperate to scratch that itch try ordering directly from an Australia 4x4 shop. They seem to have more parts in stock. I just placed an order and even with the cost of shipping it was actually a few bucks cheaper to get my adjustable panhard bar.

Just to add to the dent repair content, this is an old but good book that details the process. Yes, it is auto body and hammer & dolly focused but there is good content on how to evaluate and work through the process of repairing dents, which is generally useful.

Key To Metal Bumping Book - https://www.eastwood.com/key-to-metal-bumping-book.html

I never got to be any good, but it is still a useful source I occasionally refer to.

Hahaha, yes, all kinds of evil and expensive
thoughts are flying around my monkey brain now: 17" rims/35" tires (more sidewall and lift); rear steel bumper with tire mount (departure angle and less likely to damage the spare); front bullbar (room for bigger tires, better approach angle, take bumper corners out of play for scraping); rear dust lights (parts on order). Then the almost freebee: raise my Kings up and put in taller rear springs (~$200). It is a sickness, I tell ya.

And then there is all the cool recovery gear that I "need" now: x-locks, snatch blocks (to to replace my Factor55 recovery rings), winch extension, hi-lift jack, shorter straps...

Thank goodness nothing is in stock and ready to ship, or else I'd be tempted to spend myself into a miserable hole.

I totally get the sickness. Unfortunately, it can be a lifelong disease. Only way to treat it is to feed it.

I’m just curious what trail you were on?

Follow up questions... Would a flap wheel be the right tool to clean up gouges in metal? And would you use the same thing on steel parts before painting? What are people using to touch up sliders - just good old rustoleum or something (these were originally powder coated)?
I use a wire wheel on the drill to somewhat flatten out the skids and knock off the surface rust before I paint. I use rustoleum high performance enamel in black

Hahaha, yes, all kinds of evil and expensive
thoughts are flying around my monkey brain now: 17" rims/35" tires (more sidewall and lift); rear steel bumper with tire mount (departure angle and less likely to damage the spare); front bullbar (room for bigger tires, better approach angle, take bumper corners out of play for scraping); rear dust lights (parts on order). Then the almost freebee: raise my Kings up and put in taller rear springs (~$200). It is a sickness, I tell ya.

And then there is all the cool recovery gear that I "need" now: x-locks, snatch blocks (to to replace my Factor55 recovery rings), winch extension, hi-lift jack, shorter straps...

Thank goodness nothing is in stock and ready to ship, or else I'd be tempted to spend myself into a miserable hole.
Yes! Looking forward to seeing how yours looks on 35s and which bumpers you end up running :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom