benchtop drill presses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm thinking about getting a little drill press. something i can set on a bench, and is somewhat portable.
anyone have any ideas on these or are they just for kids?
i see craftsman has a pretty cool one with frick'n laserbeams attached to it's head.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...OL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00921900000
but i don't know if these smaller types can get through steel, though i don't see why not.

I have a POS $40 Chinese one from the local box store. I use it about once a month when I need to drill a fairly precisely straight hole in something, usually in steel. It works fine - I've made up to 1/2" holes in 1/4" thick steel with it. I wouldn't use it for anything that requires real precision or in any kind of production mode, but it has paid for itself many times over already. If it breaks I'll buy another just like it.

The secret to drilling holes in metal is to use a cutting fluid, usually a light oil - I use WD40 because I have a big gallon jug of it that I bought before I realized that it's pretty worthless as a penetrating oil.

I have a Delta table top with a 1/2 inch chuck. I drill wood, steel, aluminum, plastic, etc. Sometimes I wish it would run at a lower speed (it's current low range is about 650 rpm). I have a circle cutter for large diameter holes in wood, and that's pretty scary. Also, the speed is a little fast if I'm using a hole saw on metal, but I've learned to compensate with using lots of cutting oil and applying light pressure.

I've got what "yopper" gots. I bet the sears unit is much better. If u can afford the sears bench unit I would buy it. You have return rights and warrenty with sears. I got mine as a xmas present and its a pos, but it will drill holes and does most of what I need done.

thanks guys. i'm just contemplating on what i'm going to ask for christmas.
it's between this and a powder-coater.

I've got a Jet bench top model.. Has worked well drilling thru just about everything over the last 10years.. Nice with a light, heavy duty, american made steel.. nowdays tho I would rather have the full on stand on it's own drill press next time.. (won't be a next time with a Jet tho) I finally need to replace the chuck as it's damaged by inexperienced user error.. but no biggie.. With a bench top the metal shavings always get on the workbench.. Not really portable to have one strong enough to drill 3/8 or bigger so I'd recommend a floor model and call it done.. Not cheap but you get what you pay for in tools. Easy access switches in the front, you'll be amazed how you'll need to find that stop switch quickly when a piece locks or starts spinning trying to kill you..
JET 354165 15" Bench Top Drill Press. About $350.. I think that's about what I paid 10years ago? Well worth it.. Most of my buddies with the Chinese ones curse theirs and want to come use mine.. one tip.. Get the Vice grip drill press clamps.. worth their weight in gold to secure pieces!

My .02 worth is the floor type are a lot more versital if you have the space and can affored a few extra bucks. I have one of the China specials that works well enough for most hobby applications.

Either way and indexed work clamp is a very usefull addition. It will make up for a lot of the lack of presion in a consumer type drill press.

space is an issue right now guys, or i would probably get a fullsize press.
if anyone sees one similar to the craftsman, but capable of slower speeds
post a link.
as for getting metal filings all over the bench... yeah your right, but i'd already
considered just building a pan to put in between the drill and the bench to catch
the debris.

Something to keep in mind with Craftsman- all their power tools are made by Ryobi now. For light work they're ok, but they won't take the abuse some of the older Craftsman power tools will.

Grizzly is good stuff for anyone but a pro, and relatively inexpensive.

Jet is awesome, but you're gonna pay for it.

I bought a Hitachi corded 1/2" hammer drill once- It lasted about 6 weeks with regular use before the gears stripped out of it. I trashed it and bought a Milwaukee- bada$$ drill.

Hitachi sells a lot of tools and I know several people who like them, but once was enough for me.

Their widescreen HDTVs are another story though :D - drool.

MOfj40 said:
Something to keep in mind with Craftsman- all their power tools are made by Ryobi now. For light work they're ok, but they won't take the abuse some of the older Craftsman power tools will.

Grizzly is good stuff for anyone but a pro, and relatively inexpensive.

Jet is awesome, but you're gonna pay for it.
Not all. Some of the bench top tools are still made by Emerson (who also makes the Rigid, sold at Home Depot. But I am sure the Drill presses and the discount table saws are all Ryobi.

If the model number starts 113. , it's an Emerson. 315. and 316. its a Ryobi. 137. I can't remember. they just started using that code right before I left Sears.

Jet, grizzly, and harbor freight all look like the same castings in the mill drill, and this would lead me to assume that they are variations or better machining of same deal.

I had one (given to me the HF) for several years and the single best updgrade was an Albrecht keyless chuck. erase ideas of cordless drill keyless chuck, this is a machinists real deal....

I may be in the market for a bench top, but after I make space for the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom