Bench seat headrests? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did any FJ40 bench seats ever have headrests? Mine has the slots for headrests and the internal hardware, but I haven't seen any others like that. Is this something somebody threw in there when they had the seats reappolstered?

I have the same, provisions are present and clearly look OEM, but there was no headrest installed. I haven't been able to find a matching headrest yet. Anyone who thought they had one (one on E-bay, two on this board) measured different post distances than the provisions allow for. I haven't been to a junk yard yet. If you get somewhere on this topic, I would be VERY interested in the source for a headrest.

I have an HJ60 60/40 split front bench and it has a headrest. It's out of a '81 though and I assume you're looking for an early (1971) head rest? According to www.sor.com it's a 9/72- and newer thing.

IIRC, those later model headrests do not fit the provision in the bench. Was there a foreign (not yet US) requirement at the time the early bench seats were made that the mounting provisions would be appropriate for, yet on the later models that actually came factory equipped with headrests the post distance was changed?

I found a picture of a 71 that has the bench seat and has headrests. Does anyone know if those headrests are original, or did he just manage to find some that fit?

Last edited:
Just to confuse things further:The early FSM shows only the FJ40 drivers seat equipped with a head rest, but then seems to show the FJ45 passenger seat has one...

I need to look and see if my 71 has the place for one. The PO (my brother) replaced the seat covers with the kit from Man-a-Fre...
281Body10-42web.jpg
288Body10-49web.jpg

My 71 had them. I still have one of the headrests, but they have not been installed for a long time. The one that I have has a broken post. I don't know what ever happened to the other. I'm pretty sure they were stock since I can't see my grandfather adding something like that.

My BJ-42 has them. I have the two and one seats rather than the single three seat bench. The headrests are slightly smaller than those for the 60s and later series.

I'll take some photos and chuck em up tomorrow.

TTT
I know this thread is old...

I removed my 71 stock bench seat back to paint it and found the hardware for a headrest, now I want one. Did anyone ever come up with an option for mounting one?

benchseatback.jpg

I searched and searched in 2005 and did not come up with any headrests that have the particular distance of the posts AND the appropriate diameter of the posts :frown:

I scrapped plans for a passenger headrest and bought myself a racing seat

I rarely have passengers on the street, and on the trail, my passengers have other worries than be concerned about whiplash :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom