Belton Suspension Reviews Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have run Old Man Emu for years in both my 70's and 60's series LC's. I have been very satisfied save a few issues.

I am interested to hear some reviews on how the Belton package compares to OME. The price differential is just too large to ignore anymore. Specifically I am interested in:
Ride quality - is it harsh, vague, floaty?
Durability - is sh*t breaking, are they saggy?

Has anyone tried fitting the springs with inter-leaf spacers, how has this affected the ride?

Your comments and recommendations are most welcome.

So far I have installed two Belton kits on 60 series trucks. One on my Bros HJ60 and one on my HJ61. The kits are very complete and install was a snap. I would buy them again

What I like: ride quality, flex, greasable shackles, initial build quality (shot peened, grade of steel ect..), PRICE.....

What I don't like: Springs tend to shift, I think this is do to a weak clamp in the rear of the rear pack. A simple c clamp straightens them out but they tend to bend easily. "clunk" when slow speed turning. I read this is also comon on the OME. On my 61 with the PTO winch, the nose is a full 1" lower then my brothers truck...

I have only had the kit on my truck for a month, but so far I am very happy. My brothers had his for about 10 months and continues to be pleased.

Is Belton a canadian manufature? or ?

Belton is out of Malyasia. High grade steel, oem and aftermarket suppliers, etc. Several Australian aftermarket spring companies are actually distributors of rebadged Belton springs. We might be surprised to know which ones. Anecdotally, I've always heard of Beltons being ok, inexpensive, durable alternatives to OME's. Same with Dobinsons.

where can beltons be purchased? how much do they cost? what size lifts are available?

This is somewhat of moot point for us the US. It seems that Belton has limited it's distribution to Aus/New Zealand and Canada.
Same with Dobinsons. I wonder, though, if they might already be here in disguise. Maybe someone from Canada or Aussie can chime in.

I have heard that Spector sells springs that are actually Dobinsons. The catolog does not list them as such but if you ask they will tell you this is the case. I have a complete 2.5" Dobinsons suspension on my 88' FJ62 and I am quite pleased with them. I was a participant in a group buy arranged by Jeff Sharp of FJ60.com.

The following text was something I posted on the 3FE list in response to a question by TOZOVAR, who is also here on MUD:

RJ, I was in on the group buy that spawned the 1st annaul 'Spring'
bash at my lake house about an hour from Katemcey. About 13 of us
ordered Dobinsons suspensions from Jeff Sharp at FJ60.com. There was
some mis-communication between Dobinsons and the group, in fact
almost to the point of neglect that called for punitive damages.
Those of us who ordered a custom front spring pac got hosed to the
tune of $80 extra and having to swap in the replacement standard
medium front spring pacs.

Jeff Sharp did a good job of handling the quagmire and if he still
plans on carrying the Dobinsons line thats who I would go through. I
doubt if he will do another group buy and he will probably stay away
from any custom applications. At the time the price was very
attractive and the product, in the end, turned out to be very
satisfactory IMO. If money was no issue I would go OME next time but
then money is an issue so I would do it again.
David

I have not driven an OME FJ60/62 but many of the people who were at the bash have OME on their trucks and have not commented negatively on the Dobbies. One of the guys on 3FE searched a bunch of Auzzie web forums and found that Dobinsons is very highly regarded down there. Our price on the group purchase was around $800 for the works including a steering dampner. Much more attractive than what I am hearing OME now wants.

If you have any other questions about Dobinsons lifts or want some pics let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom