Belt slipping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My belt squeals something god awful. Just drove 45 minutes home. Squeals at start up, anytime I drop down a gear. Did it all the way home. Belt seems good and tight. Could it be too tight?

Which belt? On an FJ60 you would have 3. Check them all for tightness. Otherwise one could be worn or glazed, which means it should be replaced. If you can get the sound pretty consistently, you can take them off one at a time to find the one that is squeaking. Just don't run the engine too long without the water pump belt. It could also be that one of your accessories is getting hard to turn. When you take the belts off, you can check each one.

1600786336597.png

My belt squeals something god awful. Just drove 45 minutes home. Squeals at start up, anytime I drop down a gear. Did it all the way home. Belt seems good and tight. Could it be too tight?

The old rule of thumb with V belts is if you cant twist the belt more than 90 degrees its tight enough. Most likely as pointed out already you need new belts. They are easy to change and not expensive....no time like the present to replace all of them

replace all the bels - I bet they're all past due.
In my experience, once a belt gets contaminated with coolant or oil, its toast. It'll never run quiet again. And if a belt is allowed to squeal for too long - it becomes toast too. Will never be quiet like a new one again.

Sorry for the late response as I work 3rd. I am not sure if I have 3 belts. My configuration is a little different. My a.c. is top left. Will post pics in the a.m. Maybe I should just buy new belts all the way around and be done with it.

Don't overtightghten the alt belt, or you will be replacing it!

And they are not an easy replace...

Why do you think they are not easy to replace?

I'll bite - because anything involving the belt drive on a '60 or '62 blows. They are not 'hard' like replacing a 1st gen 4Runner heater core, but I don't find any belt work on a 60 series to be much fun.

I'll bite - because anything involving the belt drive on a '60 or '62 blows. They are not 'hard' like replacing a 1st gen 4Runner heater core, but I don't find any belt work on a 60 series to be much fun.
Take the radiator out and it’s easy. :p

Replacing an alternator belt should take 10 min - including cracking an adult beverage. The whole alternator can be removed in 15min. Replacing the other belts takes a bit more time because you have to remove them in sequence but it all goes pretty quick. Maybe I have just done it too many times...

I did the alternator and belt in mine in about 20 minutes...I took time to clean everything. The other belts take a little longer but nothing has to come out. I've always been able to sneak the belts around the cooling fan and shroud without having to pull anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom