belt rubbing against pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heard a noise that sounded off while driving the cruiser home from work today. I opened the hood to find the power steering pump belt rubbing against the smog pump pulley, as pictured. There was also a faint clattering noise that I guessed was coming from the smog pump. I took off the belts and tried turning both pulleys by hand. the power steering pump feels normal, the smog pump I can feel compression and release but sometimes it catches, confirming the clattering noise that I had heard before. Furthermore, the pulley seems to be off of true, so that as I turn it by it has a wobbly motion. What I don't understand is what is out of clearance that's causing the power steering pump belt to rub against the smog pump pulley?
20200309_190911.jpg
I was expecting to find axial play in one or both of the pulleys, but that isn't the case. There is no play. Anybody seen anything like this before?

Hard to tell exactly by just that one picture... but is the power steering pump (vp) belt routed incorrectly?
Here's a pic @Seth S posted earlier

Thanks for the reply, the belt is routed correctly and wasn't acting up until today. I had already taken off the belts by the time I took that picture

Thanks for the reply, the belt is routed correctly and wasn't acting up until today. I had already taken off the belts by the time I took that picture

check the adjuster long carriage bolt and the slider , if one or both strip cause low tension and belt to pup off , your adjust bar looks bent maybe too ?

if this is the case :

see these solutions , since OEM disc/ / NLA

Another good idea, but the tensioners are just fine. It's just not tensioned in the picture, but the position of the belt relative to the pulley looked just like as pictured when I first found them

Some of the accessories have little bushings that isolate the bolts from the bracket (iirc). If one of those bushings broke apart and fell out your alignment could be affected. Or a bolt could have fallen out in some cases.

I hadn't thought of that. The accessories seemed to be good and tight but I'll double check.
In any case, the problem has to be confined to the power steering pulley being too close to the engine and/or the smog pump pulley being too close to the radiator. The only realistic way that could happen is if the pulley shifted axially relative to the accessory, or that the accessory shifted relatively to the block (such as the bushings @Seth S mentioned). Are there other possibilities I'm not accounting for?
Any suggestions as to how to go about testing these things?
I'll try to check for these tonight, and I'll update as I go. Thanks for the help, I need to fugue this out as I just started a new job and this will be going in daily duty

Here is a front of an FJ40 but it should be pretty similar

1583941991261.png

I remember when I pulled the smog pump and put the idler pulley in the PS/Alt belt does run very close to the surface of the Smog pump pulley. So if yours is interfering but the alt/PS belt seems properly inline then I would look to see if the Smog pump position has shifted...bracket problem, missing bolt, bushing failure etc.

Took these today on my truck.
0C890184-BF01-4FE6-9604-08D4D4698A8C.jpeg
29486D13-76DD-486B-ADF0-4759BBDE4593.jpeg
C0173C1B-A392-421F-AF68-E39928E81394.jpeg
E540A286-69C6-45A0-9546-75D21D62BDDB.jpeg

@seth you are the man, thank you for the pics! I'm almost positive that the smog pump is the problem. I took a video showing how the belt crosses over the front of the Pulley even though it's routed correctly. I removed both the power steering pump as well as a smog pump. The power steering pump looks fine, the smog pump had pieces of the Vane in the air hose and it seems as if the pulley is working it's way off the shaft. But it's not loose. I can't move the pulley relative to the shaft so it seemed as if it wasn't the culprit when it was installed on the truck. I'll post some close up pictures of pulley and have you guys tell me what you think. But seeing as it's falling apart inside I'll need a new one anyway (anybody looking to rid themselves of a good smog pump?) I'm almost positive it's not the original smog pump... Did the basic shape of the smog pumps ever change?
Finally, I had not considered the fact that I'm running a 2Fe. Although none of the accessories could've changed because they all mount to the block, it may or may not be worth mentioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom