1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt and alternator woes

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by OlympiaFJ60, Jan 29, 2004.

1. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

Posted this on LCML and so far, it may be the alternator's bearings went or the crankshaft pulley is broken. Just posting here because there is some brains here that don't subscribe there :D

Had a little excitement today. While starting out from a stop light I heard a noise that sounded like I ran over some metal. Hadn't seen any so I started to pull of the road and heard it again. When I opened the hood, ALL the belts were off. (This is on a n '87 FJ60 with 2F that has a idler pulley bracket in place of the smog pump). The alternator/power steering and the water pump/(de-)smog were still over the crank pulley and around the water pump pulley. The a/c belt was all the way off (maybe the culprit?).
    I was able to get the water pump belt on, but had to drive a ways with the alternator belt off (had to go buy a wrench to get the now stripped alternator adjusting bolt free). Now, the alternator will not charge and the batter is almost dead.

So, the questions. Could I have drained the battery enough, in my short trip with out an alternator, so that the alternator can not charge? What could be the cause (many and varied I am sure) of all the belts jumping off?

Brandon

2. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Are you saying you can't start it even by jumping. When the battery is drained you need to run the battery charge for minutes to get enough juice to jump it

3. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

No, it starts right up on a jump and runs fine so there is anough in the battery to excite the alternator.

I guess I will see what replacing the alternator does.

Thanks,

Brandon
    Olympia, WA

4. Romer

Is yout belt tight enough?

Do you have any idea what broke your belts to begin with?

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    do the pullys for everthink still turn? PS, WP, AC , ALT, idler ect? were they all stock sizes belts? or did you change one when you took the pump off?

check the fusible links, might have toasted them, or the diodes or the battery is toast, swap the batt with another.....

6. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=10787;start=msg96926#msg96926 date=1075431645]
    Is yout belt tight enough?

Do you have any idea what broke your belts to begin with?
    [/quote]

That was the wierd thing. None of the belts were broken, just knocked off thier respective pullies.

7. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=10787;start=msg96973#msg96973 date=1075436795]
    do the pullys for everthink still turn? PS, WP, AC , ALT, idler ect? were they all stock sizes belts? or did you change one when you took the pump off?[/quote]

Stock size belts. The idler bracket I made puts its pulley right were the smog pumps was. I'm not sure which one took the first jump. I was just looking though and there is a groove in the upper, lower radiator hose (the short one) that is probably from the A/C belt.

The Alternator was starting to make a noise like it was always laboring. I think I will start there and see where it leads me. Starting next week I will have plenty of time to work on it (and finish the 55 I hope).

Thanks for the input guys,

Brandon
    Olympia, WA

8. Romer

Let us know what you find out!

9. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

similar thing happened to a friend with a 78 2F , turned out his crank pulley was loose and worn down inside. luckily it didn't hurt the crank, he picked up a new pulley and tightened down good, no problems since

10. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

I will check the crank pulley.

Here is a picture of the grove in he Upper, lower, radiator hose caused by the a/c belt.
    [​IMG]
    Have the alternator on order and NOW the water pump is leaking. I can't remember, is there a small hole in the bottom of the pump body? Probably an inner seal. Is it worth repairing or just replace? I don't think they are that mutch, even from the dealer.

Thanks,

Brandon,
    Olympia, WA

11. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    yeah don't repair the water pump, go new. Yes there is a weep hole I recall that leaks..........gives you some warning that its going. So was the alt frozen up or what?

remember, if you go to Titus, grab Al and let him know it's cool to use my discount

oh and get a new hose......that one is gonna blow, might as well toss a new t-stat in as well......and new belts........want me to keep going? ;)

12. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

Alternator spins fine. Didn't look like a reman part number so maybe the original. I was in and talked to Al today. I am trying to start up my own little business so I just set up my own account under that. So far just a few friends and family stuff. Dropping your name did help with that though :D.

Just did the belts this summer, the t-stat a month ago (180 deg, wonder were I got that idea ;) ). Have that hose from CCOT screwing up an order for the bypass hose. Finaly got the right one and didn't have to send back the other. A Toyota part even.

Been wanting to put that new fan clutch in for a while anyway, and the front brakes, knuckles, rear brakes, swap diffs, clean up the TBI install, but in a fuel tank from a 62 (my other thread on stock connector bodies). And here I thought I was going to have time next month to finish the 55 :'(.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">