Belt alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 88 62 with all the lovely smog stuff. I have been hearing a bit of what I percieved to be belt noise and on closer inspection, found that the belt between the smog pump and the PS pump is mis aligned. There is about 3-5 degrees of deflection (best guess) forward - with the PS pump appearing to be farther forward than the smog pump (fsm refers to is as an air pump).
I am stumped - there are no visible shims providing for adjustment of the position of either of these. Anyone ever had this happen? Are the pulleys adjustable on these things? I am worried I will be tooling along and have that belt abort mission on me...

Thanks in advance

JT

Howdy! Usually these are non-adjustable, but you could try a flat washer or two under bracket to shim out the crooked unit. John

I'd suspect the bearings may be going out in one or the other. You might want to pull the belt off and rotate the assemblys, see if there's looseness or rough bearings.

I'd suspect the bearings may be going out in one or the other. You might want to pull the belt off and rotate the assemblys, see if there's looseness or rough bearings.
Howdy! Yea, that's true. I didn't think about that. Now that you mention it, is there any chance the rig has ever had front collision damage? Just reaching a little, I guess. John

It has never had any front collision taht I am aware of, I am a new owner of this rig. as far as pullling the belt - no smog laws here. I was under the impression that not running the smog pump would an adverse effect on my engine's efficiency. If not, then I will need to find a shorter belt to run the ps pump off of...

I also checked, and I have no where to put a shim. Both units are tight on the mounts. Sucky.

Check to see if the PS pump pulley can be reversed, may make up the offset.

The misalignment is designed in by Mr. Toyoda, for whatever the reason. 62s are all like that. A new belt cures the squeal - for a while.

That is an odd design feature, but I can believe it. there is absolutely no adjustment on either unit to move/shim them. I have no plans to de-smog, so I guess I will just fight the squeak.

Thanks for the replys - diggin' this forum!

Howdy! Try rubbing a bar of Lava soap on the sides of the belt. the Pumice will smooth out and clean up both the belt and the pulleys. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom